N62NA
Topic Author

AA Cancels My Flight MIA-JFK 3 Days Before!-Why?

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:24 pm

I was booked on AA 1510 MIA-JFK (that's the Boeing 767-200 flight) for this coming Tuesday. I just got the dreaded phone call that might flight has been cancelled and they have rebooked me on a (much) later flight.

My question is... why, 3 days before the flight, is it being cancelled?

MAH4546

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Anticipated crew shortage is the most probably answer.
a.

eghansen

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Or maintenance.

Aircraft can be delayed coming back from a D-check if unexpected problems crop up. Also, corrosion checks which are usually done every six months can uncover problems that require taking an aircraft out of service for a few days.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

LHR777

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Also, at least they had the decency to call you, and not just let you show-up at the airport for a flight the isn't operating.

N62NA
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks all for the replies. What is most discouraging is that on this flight they sell J as coach and I was in the J cabin. Well, guess you can't get something for nothing!

chgoflyer

Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 am

Quoting N62NA (Thread starter):

They knew it would really piss you off and waited untill three days before to spring the news.
Will someone please wake me up in 4 years

BWilliams

Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:16 am

Like LHR777 said, at least they called. When DL cancelled a flight on me like 18 hours before it was to take off from BUF, they didn't even call me. I just checked the information on Delta's website and saw it cancelled. Now THAT pissed me off.
Regards, Brad Williams

brilondon

Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:05 pm

Not to excuse the airlines for being [email protected]#holes but arn't you are instructed to check on your flight before you head to the airport. That being said AA did not give me any warning when my flight from DFW to DTW was canceled due to the MD 80 aircraft grounding even though I was already checked in at LHR and I did not even know about the cancelations until I got through customs and could not find my flight up on the board to see what gate I was boarding at and then ha to find a rep from the airport in Dallas to finally get the info from.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

par13del

Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:35 pm

Interesting that they cancelled a couple days in advance, and yes it could be either crew or maintenance, I tend to discount maintenance, as most airlines have been reducing capacity so a/c should not be a problem. AA has also had a problem with early retirement of pilots, so I will go on the side of crew scheduling.

The phone call is pretty good, some airlines only send e-mails, which then initiates a phone call on your part, all in all, not bad service when we consider how the industry is today.

eghansen

Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:37 pm

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 3):
Also, at least they had the decency to call you, and not just let you show-up at the airport for a flight the isn't operating.

It may or may not be decency.

Anytime an flight is canceled, all the passengers in the passenger list are placed on a queue. If there reservations department is not too overloaded or understaffed, they will call each passenger and rebook the flight. But there can be problems.

If the flight was booked by a travel agent, the reservation may only have the phone number of the travel agency. If it is a weekend and the agency is closed, the reservation agent may not be able to reach you. This is very common on package deals such as flight bookings for cruises where the cruise company does not want to divulge proprietary passenger information to the airline and only list their own phone number for the passenger.

Sometimes, if the flight is for business, the phone number will be of the person in your office who booked the flight. Again, if it is a weekend, there may be nobody answering.

The queue is on a priority system. For example, if your flight is canceled and your are rebooked on a flight 2 hours later, calling you will be a low priority. On the other hand, if your flight is canceled and there are no seats available on any other flight for 3 days, calling you would be a higher priority.

Needless to say, if there are thunderstorms or blizzards and hundreds of flights are canceled, most people never receive a call and are forced to deal with the problem when they reach the airport.
Nowadays, it is hard to tell when the commercials end and real life begins

FFlorida

Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Fuel + Fuel + Fuel. Possibly too many low yield bookings.

N62NA
Topic Author

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:03 pm

Quoting FFlorida (Reply 10):

Fuel + Fuel + Fuel. Possibly too many low yield bookings.

That's the first thing that went through my mind too.

flyguy41

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:09 pm

The reason for the cancel is showing Schedule Change. Have not seen that one, so I dont know. Could be the A/C is being used on a longer route that day. It was booked almost full..around 140 passengers, the low bookings cancel obviously wasnt the case.

albird87

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Quoting Flyguy41 (Reply 12):
The reason for the cancel is showing Schedule Change. Have not seen that one, so I dont know. Could be the A/C is being used on a longer route that day

it seems that maybe AA have stopped this flight! I am looking at going up to NY in september and on the 3rd that flight doesnt operate and i think it looks like AA have maybe got rid of the 762 flight on that route.

BTW is there really any reason why AA do this trip? I mean it seems to me to just be a route that uses the 762 to just not have it sitting in JFK for some time! Anybody out there really know why they do this? Normal flights are on the A300 which holds a heck of a lot more in seating and cargo!

DocLightning

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:49 pm

I just got the dreaded phone call that might flight has been cancelled and they have rebooked me on a (much) later flight.

As others have said, thank your lucky stars they had the decency to call you.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Rbgso

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I've had DL email, call, and text message me regarding flight delays/cancellations. Agreed with all here, at least they called. Nothing would tick me off more than finding out while trying to check in.

EXAAUADL

Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 3):

Work Hard. Fly Right.

No kidding, sounds like good customer service

N62NA
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:06 am

Just to clear something up... I very much do appreciate that AA called... And they have done that in the past too.

Anyway, I'm booked on the notoriously delayed AA 692 MIA-EWR for Tuesday. Today, looks like they pushed back about 15 minutes late, then did the usual 1.5 hours in the "penalty box" area of MIA.

Really looking forward to sitting on that packed 757 on the ground for 2 or 3 hours before we even get up in the air tomorrow....  crazy 

Starlionblue

RE: AA Cancels My Flight MIA-JFK 3 Days Before!-Why?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:17 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 17):
Really looking forward to sitting on that packed 757 on the ground for 2 or 3 hours before we even get up in the air tomorrow....

A good book, an iPod and a pair of Shure or Etymotic passive cancelers makes that a fine way to spend a few hours. Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo