Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Aircraft Manuals In Non English

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:13 pm

Are there any Aircraft manufacturers that print their aircraft related manuals in languages other than English/French/Russian.

I was thinking of China [mandarin].....Or would it be necessary for the locals to know English?

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

airbuster

RE: Aircraft Manuals In Non English

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:59 pm

I am not sure but AF could be a candidate to that for their airbus types.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

tdscanuck

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:25 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Are there any Aircraft manufacturers that print their aircraft related manuals in languages other than English/French/Russian.

I know that Boeing only does theirs in English. The liability of doing translation is *huge*...it probably makes more business sense to just give them a discount and let the airlines do the translation, rather than try to maintain synchronized manuals in multiple languages.

Tom.

SlamClick

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Not sure about manuals but I've seen Embraer 326 Xavantes, which were license-built Italian Aeromacchi 326s to be delivered to the Fuerza Aérea de Paraguay which had placards on the instrument panel in Italian, Portuguese and Spanish. Not duplications, mind you, but some in each language.

I'd bet that Polish MiGs, for example also had documentation in a mix of Russian and Polish.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:02 pm

During my apprenticeship, LH was just in the process of converting their maintenance paperwork (job cards, manuals etc.) from German into English. The main reason was that, whenever they wanted to sell a plane, the whole lifetime file had to be translated into English.
The guys I worked with, who came from the East German carrier Interflug, were used to have all documentation for their Ilyushins and Tupolevs in either German or Russian, in fact all the placards in the cockpit were in German.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:46 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 3):
I'd bet that Polish MiGs, for example also had documentation in a mix of Russian and Polish.

The IAF MIGs had English labelled over the russian indicators.

I was thinking of China,as there could be a lot of difficulty understanding English,unlike out here in India.
Considering the rapid expansion of Airlines in China,there could be difficulties.Just my thought.

regds
MEL

CanadianNorth

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:48 pm

In aircraft maintenance school we were taught that pretty much all commercial aircraft manufacturers made their various manuals in english only. Also, we heard that airlines were free to translate them to whatever language they wish, but they were on their own as the manufacturer would only accept liability for aircraft that were maintained as per the manufacturers version of the manuals, which as said is english-only.

Not sure how much truth there is to that, but thats what we were told and the way it was described made complete sense to me, as translating an entire maintenance manual (often a whole row worth of several inch thick binders) definately leaves a lot of room for error...

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

SlamClick

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 6):
In aircraft maintenance school we were taught that pretty much all commercial aircraft manufacturers made their various manuals in english only.

I'd bet that is true - for the non-Soviet part of the world. Russia plays it all pretty close to the vest and hangs on to all things Russian.

I've often laughed at "Engrish" and instructions from things coming out of China and thought I'd love to translate for them, but that leads me around to the fact that I don't speak or read Chinese at all. At that point my smug self-satisfaction pretty well evaporates.

But I will still chuckle over the instruction: "Careful to not let soak on water so become heavy&fragile" And that was out of Japan in the 60s.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

buckfifty

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:00 am

Most Japanese airlines I know of have their manuals translated to Japanese. Some manuals are translated as separate manuals, others are translated with their English reference underneath.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:50 am

What about IPCs referencing to Diagrams,that could be made in the local language to help the native readers working on the aircraft,Identifying the part.Just Thinking.

Anyone aware of Chinese Aircraft Maintenance & their workforce?

regds
MEL.

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:07 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):
But I will still chuckle over the instruction: "Careful to not let soak on water so become heavy&fragile" And that was out of Japan in the 60s.

My friend's parent's first VCR came with the wonderful "If power red light still furious, please contact qualified civil servant. in the manual.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 7):
I've often laughed at "Engrish" and instructions from things coming out of China and thought I'd love to translate for them, but that leads me around to the fact that I don't speak or read Chinese at all. At that point my smug self-satisfaction pretty well evaporates.

Indeed. I have spent the past few months learning Cantonese. It is quite spectacular how different the language is from any indoeuropean tongue. No wonder they have a hard time with English. Most English grammatical concepts simply don't exist in this family of languages.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

pilotpip

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:55 pm

My manuals for the 170 are some of the most God-Awful things on earth. I'm guessing they were originally written in Portugeese and later translated to English. Those manuals, however aren't nearly as bad as the 145's were.
DMI

Goldenshield

Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 am

There are some pretty good Engrish one-liners that come out of Embraer manuals.  Smile
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 12):
There are some pretty good Engrish one-liners that come out of Embraer manuals.

Lets hear a Few.  Smile
regds
MEL

Goldenshield

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 13):
Lets hear a Few.

I'll have to see if I can find that particular manual, since it's just basic system information, and not a technical one. If I do, I'll let you know.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 14):
I'll let you know.

Sure.
regds
MEL