Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

411A

RE: Where Are The Six Pieces Of Wood In A 727?

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:48 am

It's all very simple.
The wooden bits were installed on PanAmerican aircraft only (initially, but used later on other aircraft), and on the older aircraft with hat racks (instead of overhead lockers), these pieces of wood (half round in shape) were bonded to the upper edge of the hat rack rail just abeam the window emergency exits, and were there so that....passengers or cabin attendants could walk upright down the aisle, and feel the pieces of wood, to help find the location of these emergency exits in the event that smoke was so thick that visibility was severely restricted.

The original B727 article mis-stated however.
The 727 had four pieces of wood (four window exits), however the B707-320C (convertable freighter) with 215 pax seating (used to fly to VietNam and adhoc charters) had an extra two window level exits behind the wing...six window exits in total....six pieces of wood total.

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 am

What about the Flame retardant/resistant properties of these wood pieces. wink 
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EcuadorianMD11

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Quoting Atlturbine (Reply 38):
The only thing I know for sure is the main landing gear down lock inspection hole cover in the mid cabin area. I do not recall what kind of wood it was made from.

Quoting 411A (Reply 50):
The 727 had four pieces of wood (four window exits), however the B707-320C (convertable freighter) with 215 pax seating (used to fly to VietNam and adhoc charters) had an extra two window level exits behind the wing...six window exits in total....six pieces of wood total.

We have a contradiction here..........if Atlturbine is right, then the total number of pieces of wood must be uneven, right?
Regardless of the amount of window exits.

And I did wonder about Jet Pilot´s point, do they use brakes to slow the wheels down after take off? Whether it be wood or otherwise.........

Ecwoodarian MD11.
A lot of people need to be offended on a regular basis I always felt, and I�´m the very boy to do it! - Billy Connolly

HAWK21M

Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:06 am

The B737 had a wooden cover for MLG down & locked viewing in flt.Was the B727 similiar?
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)