Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Northwest727

RE: Identify This! 4.0

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:26 pm

blah blah, next time read the directions, Northwest...

[Edited 2008-10-30 16:27:48]

[Edited 2008-10-30 16:38:31]

vzlet

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:42 pm

Quoting Northwest727 (Reply 350):
Looks like a...

Northwast, I realize that you've come in hundreds of posts from the beginning of this thread, but please review 2H4's procedures in post #1.
Thanks!

Quoting 2H4 (Thread starter):
The Dealio:

1) Guesses will be submitted to me directly, via the contact link in my profile.

"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

vzlet

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 pm

(Never mind. Temporal overlap.)
"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

atlturbine

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55 am

This is my first time playing & it has been so much fun!! I have been on a cruise & 2 brief weekend trips through all this and had no chance of winning (not to mention my complete lack of knowledge,,LOL) I dont know what I will do with my free time now that this is over.

Congrats to you guys that seem to know EVERTHING!! What really really makes me mad is that after given the answer...I still cant find THE pic!!!

I would love it if 2H4 gave extra points for finding the actual pic in the "Deviously Cropped Shot".

Cant wait till we start again!

Mitch  Smile
To the World you might be One Person but to One Person you might be the World

aeroweanie

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:57 am

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 338):
How I got the XL-15 is related to how I got the current mystery airplane, so I can't give details until after Thursday evening

I was pretty certain the twin was a Macchi, but couldn't remember the number. I pulled out my 1954-55 Jane's and quickly found it. Then I decided to just skim through and see if I might chance on the Mystical White Twin-Boom Aircraft. When I got to the Philippines, I quickly realized that I recognized the configuration.

Starlionblue

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:24 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 349):
Devious Shot

All pretense is over. It's not even "Deviously Cropped". Now it's just "Devious".  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

rampkontroler

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 am

Quoting Aeroweanie (Reply 354):
I pulled out my 1954-55 Jane's

Just curious...what made you pull that particular edition out? When I saw the pic, I would have placed it in the early 60's or so...I had no real idea of the year. I only found it by chance! I figured it was foreign, (to us US folks, anyway) and just started searching various manufacturers until I hit on it. There's a couple of top-secret (for now!) websites that have helped me with some of them, but mostly it's just been conjecture and persistence.

I have a ton of airplane books, but not a single Jane's except the 1973 Pocket Book of Commercial Aircraft. Like all of my books, sometimes it helps lead me to a manufacturer I had forgotten about, even if it doesn't lead me to the correct aircraft.

That's why I'm curious as to what it was that made you choose that edition, or was it just the one you were on when you found it!?

Like others have said, you guys are all really good! It's been a pleasure playing for the first time, and even though I'm not quite done with this one yet, I'm looking forward to the next one! My hat is off to you all!
 bigthumbsup 

dairbus

Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:13 pm

Darn. Ran out of time on this one although I had the general idea of being European in origin. I thought the guess was due this evening like the previous ones. Oh well.  splat 

Quoting Aeroweanie (Reply 354):
I pulled out my 1954-55 Jane's and quickly found it.

I GOTTA get me one of those. It seems to be a gold mine for you.  smile 

Quoting Atlturbine (Reply 353):
I have been on a cruise & 2 brief weekend trips through all this

I know the feeling. Last week I was on vacation and ended up going to SXM, Santiago Chile, and a day trip to PNS for the Naval aviation museum. Today, I am flying to Spain to meet my parents and brother on a cruise out of Barcelona on Sunday. I may have consider to rescheduling my vacation next year if 2H4 hosts 5.0 at the same time.  scratchchin 
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Scooter01

Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:53 pm

Quoting DAirbus (Reply 357):
I may have consider to rescheduling my vacation next year if 2H4 hosts 5.0 at the same time.

Yeah! -Get your priorities straight!  duck 

Scooter01  biggrin 
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

aeroweanie

Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 356):
That's why I'm curious as to what it was that made you choose that edition, or was it just the one you were on when you found it!?

While Macchi is now known for jet trainers, back in the 1950s they were more of a general aviation company. I figured my 1945-46 and 1947-48 Jane's were too old, so I went to the next one, which is the 1954-55 edition. Sure enough, there it was. The picture of the Mystical Mystical White Twin-Boom Aircraft looked like it had been taken in the 1950s or 60s, so I flipped though the same edition and found it too.

My Jane's collection mostly covers the last 30 years. I've bought them for use at work. I had just a few older ones until this spring, when a friend of mine died and I bought quite a few from his estate.

You can find older Jane's on e-bay and at Amazon.com. I get new ones when Historic Aviation sells last year's edition at a reduced price. You have to watch their catalog carefully, as they go fast.

rampkontroler

Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:03 am

Thanks for the insight, AeroWeanie. I'm always curious to know how others go about this. I like the idea of checking Amazon.com, or maybe even Ebay...who knows? Maybe I can start a collection of these. They would sure be good to have on hand!

I would tell everyone "good luck" on this last shot, but I really don't want to do that, now do I?  Wink

2H4
Topic Author

Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:40 am

Quoting Atlturbine (Reply 353):
What really really makes me mad is that after given the answer...I still cant find THE pic!!!

Remember that not all of the shots are available online. An increasing number are my own, or have been obtained through....connections.  Wink

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 355):
All pretense is over. It's not even "Deviously Cropped". Now it's just "Devious".

I make no apologies.  mischievous 

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 356):
I have a ton of airplane books, but not a single Jane's

That's a problem. The annual, fabric-bound editions of Jane's are the holy bibles of aircraft recognition. I recommend scouring Amazon for used copies. Anything under $30 is a decent deal. Anything under $20 is a great deal. Anything under $15 is a deal you can't pass up. Depending on the year, of course. Editions from the '50s rarely drop below $100 a copy.

Last week I was on vacation and ended up going to SXM

Santiago Chile

a day trip to PNS for the Naval aviation museum

Today, I am flying to Spain

a cruise out of Barcelona

Try as I might, I just can't seem to find any sympathy for you.  Wink

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

dairbus

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:00 am

Quoting AeroWeanie (Reply 359):
I figured my 1945-46 and 1947-48 Jane's were too old, so I went to the next one, which is the 1954-55 edition.

Finally, the secret is out! Do you have a spare bedroom for a couple of weeks next year?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 361):
Try as I might, I just can't seem to find any sympathy for you.

Yeah I know, but what is the purpose of having flight benefits if you do not use them? I may have to rethink my priorities for next year like scooter01 said.   

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 361):
Remember that not all of the shots are available online.

I did find the Mystical Mystical White Twin-Boom Aircraft online but only thru blind luck. When looking for what ended up being the OMAC-1, I found a link to a PDF file of a book about twin-boom aircraft which made a passing reference to an IST XL-15 Tagak with glazed rear doors. Intrigued, I plugged that into the search engine and got only five hits. One of them was this link:

http://blueangel.org.uk/product.asp?...DZTXRWHDSXW11G47FI1C&product=24748

Needless to say I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it. Although AeroWeanie beat me to the punch, I am still glad to have made the find.

It looks like I may have to pass on the last picture due to my, ahem, travel plans but good luck to everyone else and it has been great fun.

[Edited 2008-11-01 02:05:55]
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:21 am

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 360):
I like the idea of checking Amazon.com,

Amazon also has a clever system where you can put used books on a watch list if they are not available. Once they are on offer, you get an email from Amazon asking if you want to buy it. That way you don't have to keep checking.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Starglider

Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:46 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 361):
That's a problem. The annual, fabric-bound editions of Jane's are the holy bibles of aircraft recognition. I recommend scouring Amazon for used copies.

Since I do not have a single copy of Jane's I will take your advice and will try and find some of those editions. Initially annual publications at 5 or 10 year intervals should be a good start for the next round of Identify This.

This is my second year of competing in this great and devious competition and I remain amazed at the diversity of 2H4's cropped shots (so many true gems of aircraft) bundled in a single thread. And although the race has not been run yet, I must say this a very unique thread 2H4 and I thank you and all fellow competitors for making it happen. Every moment spent on this is worth the time and, again, I have learned so much since this competition started.

It is a journey through time and the memories of planes I have seen, worked on or read about through the years have helped me tremendously in finding the right answers and I remain amazed about what is out there I did not know existed while scouring for answers.

One day it should result in publishing a special edition of Jane's named "The World (of Aviation) According to 2H4" with a picture of the door to his devious vault on the front cover . . . bigthumbsup 

Regards,
Starglider

Scooter01

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:21 am

To all the competitors of this thread:

I can only speak for myself, but I feel I have met a couple of "soulmates" from all over the World after I discovered this site.

Quoting Starglider (Reply 364):
I must say this a very unique thread 2H4 and I thank you and all fellow competitors for making it happen. Every moment spent on this is worth the time and, again, I have learned so much since this competition started.

For some reason I have always had a great passion for everything man-made that travels through the air. Growing up in the '50s and '60s close to an airport I soon learned to recognize different aircraft by sound alone, and having a Godfather that owned a huge book-store only helped to fuel that passion, -especially at Christmas.

A Special thanks to 2H4 for providing us all with the opportunity of again racking our brains, blowing the dust of our libraries and generally being of no use to our families (or workmates) for a couple of weeks...
-Imagine all the work going into digging out all the material for the clues that we sometimes spend hours to solve...

Not having met or knowing any of you personally, I feel that reading your comments helps me to "know" the person that wrote them and I want to thank all of you for participating together with me and also heightening my own knowledge of various aircraft.

Scooter01

Buyantukhaa

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:53 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 363):
Amazon also has a clever system where you can put used books on a watch list if they are not available. Once they are on offer, you get an email from Amazon asking if you want to buy it. That way you don't have to keep checking

Ebay has something similar, whenever something is offered that matches the search term you entered, it will inform you by mail.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

vzlet

Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:53 pm

a special edition of Jane's

"Janeson's All The World's Aircraft"?

rampkontroler

Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:10 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 361):
That's a problem. The annual, fabric-bound editions of Jane's are the holy bibles of aircraft recognition. I recommend scouring Amazon for used copies. Anything under $30 is a decent deal. Anything under $20 is a great deal. Anything under $15 is a deal you can't pass up. Depending on the year, of course. Editions from the '50s rarely drop below $100 a copy.

As I've discovered! I've always know about Jane's publications, but never took the plunge before. If I'm going to continue to compete in these contests I think I may need to bite the bullet and plunk down some change.

Quoting BuyantUkhaa (Reply 366):
Ebay has something similar, whenever something is offered that matches the search term you entered, it will inform you by mail

Amazon also has a clever system where you can put used books on a watch list if they are not available. Once they

Thanks for the tips...I'll look into setting those up.

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 365):
For some reason I have always had a great passion for everything man-made that travels through the air.

Same here...I think that's the case with most in this thread! Guess you could say we are birds of a feather!

2H4
Topic Author

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Quoting DAirbus (Reply 362):
Finally, the secret is out! Do you have a spare bedroom for a couple of weeks next year?

Two things.

First, my Jane's collection is not the secret to which I referred earlier. I've got a different one up my sleeve.

Second, regarding a spare bedroom, "Identify This" contestants are all welcome to crash on my couch or in my spare room for Oshkosh. I'm about 90 minutes away via the backroads. Couch eligibility includes temporary access to the 2H4 aviation library, but for liability reasons (primarily related to the decompression chamber and venomous snakes), not to the vault.

Amazon also has a clever system where you can put used books on a watch list if they are not available. Once they are on offer, you get an email from Amazon asking if you want to buy it. That way you don't have to keep checking.

This gets tricky with Amazon, though. For each edition of Jane's, there can be anywhere from 2 to 4 entries with descriptions that differ only in trivial things like capitalization. You almost have to save them all in case someone lists one for sale with a description in that particular format.

Personally, I run through my list of needed editions and record the prices every month or two. That way, I can see when one of them happens to be a great deal.

I actually emailed Amazon with a feature request awhile back. I suggested that, for each product, they log the lowest used price once a day and graph the history. That way, shoppers could view the graph to see if the current lowest used price is indeed a great value.

One day it should result in publishing a special edition of Jane's named "The World (of Aviation) According to 2H4" with a picture of the door to his devious vault on the front cover . . .

I would quit my job tomorrow if Jane's would hire me as an aviation researcher/photographer/editor. If anyone here has connections, perhaps they could put a good word in for me...

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 365):
Not having met or knowing any of you personally, I feel that reading your comments helps me to "know" the person that wrote them and I want to thank all of you for participating together with me and also heightening my own knowledge of various aircraft.

Likewise. It's great fun watching my search efforts and techniques for finding devious shots replicated by others in new and different ways. Sometimes, someone will quickly and efficiently follow the exact path I took to find a photo.

Other times...with the Mystical White Twin-Boom Aircraft, for example, it remains hidden like an ancient temple in an overgrown jungle until the very last minute, when guys like Aeroweanie and DAirbus part the vines and lay eyes upon the treasure.

I would have preferred to conduct the contest in the dead of winter, when folks can wrap up in a blanket by the fire and lose themselves in the world of aircraft design and history for the evening. Unless I host 5.0 this January or February, I'll probably wait until next winter.

Anyway, I'm tallying up the score now. There has been an interesting last-minute development. Stay tuned...

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

2H4
Topic Author

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:51 pm

And the correct answer is:

Dornier Do-28 Skyservant

http://2h4.smugmug.com/photos/407497576_2z3KU-XL.jpg

Deviously Cropped Shot

Photo generously provided by Ben Allsup

This was one of my favorite shots, because while plenty of the aircraft is visible, the unique features are all hidden.

Correctly Identified By:

Starglider
Northwest727
Scooter01
Atlturbine
Vzlet
Rampkontroler
Francoflier
Lowrider
Oly720man
Bengan
Aeroweanie

In a manner reminiscent of Indiana Jones sliding under a giant closing stone wall and reaching back to grab his hat, Bengan managed to get his guess in at the last possible second. At first, I thought he tied Aeroweanie for second place, but then I remembered that Aeroweanie also submitted the correct guess earlier.

Other Guesses Included:

No other guesses on this one.

Final Score:

FIRST PLACE: Starglider – 23
SECOND PLACE: Aeroweanie – 22
THIRD PLACE: Bengan – 21  goldmedal 
FOURTH PLACE: Francoflier - 17

Scooter01 - 16
Rampkontroler - 16
DAIRBUS - 15
Oly720man - 12
Atlturbine – 11
Vzlet – 10
MrChips - 6
Hangarrat - 5
Larshjort – 4
Airkas1 - 4
KBFIspotter - 4
tb727 - 4
Lowrider - 4
Nohag - 3
KELPkid - 3
speedracer1407 - 3
je89_w - 3
KPWMSpotter - 3
TupolevTu154 - 3
boeing767mech - 3
474218 - 2
Alaska737 – 2
Jetmech – 2
RaginMav - 2
Jetlagged - 2
SLCpilot - 2
DaBuzzard – 2
Scooterpontus - 2
BigSaabowski - 1
G4doc2004 - 1
Lemmy - 1
Vikkyvik - 1
Brendows - 1
ZANL188 - 1
Fly2HMO - 1
9VSIO - 1
ZBBYLW - 1
Lapa_saab340 – 1
Northwest727 – 1

Yes, Starglider pulled it off and took first place, correctly identifying almost every single shot. Well done, sir!

Even more impressive, the trio of Aeroweanie, Starglider, and Francoflier (who scored 1st through 3rd in last year’s contest, respectively) still managed to hang on to the top four places, earning prizes once again.

This year, however, the three amigos were challenged by Bengan, who also schooled everyone on the Piper XPA-33P Pressurized Comanche.

Now comes the fun part. Awarding the prizes!

View Prizes Here

Starglider, please let us know which four prizes you’d like to have. I’ll then contact you via email to arrange for shipping.

After Starglider chooses his prizes, it will be your turn to choose, Aeroweanie.

Then Bengan and Francoflier will get to choose from the remaining prizes.

If anyone declines their prizes, the fourth place prize will go to either Scooter01 or Rampkontroler, to be decided by a “Sudden Death” round.

Well done, and thanks for a great time, everyone!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

rampkontroler

Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:54 pm

Congratulations everyone! Like I said before...it's been a heck of a lot of fun! I learned a lot, found a lot of cool websites I never knew existed, and sprouted a few new gray hairs in the process. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Now...how long until the next one?  Wink

[Edited 2008-11-01 17:01:38]

Bengan

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:13 am

1. Congratulations to Everyone!

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 369):
There has been an interesting last-minute development. Stay tuned...

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 370):
At first, I thought he tied Aeroweanie for second place, but

I need a new set of fingernails...

/Bengt

[Edited 2008-11-01 17:36:35]

Starlionblue

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:22 am

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 368):
Amazon also has a clever system where you can put used books on a watch list if they are not available. Once they

Thanks for the tips...I'll look into setting those up.

Amazon's wish lists are also a marvel. Whenever I see a book that I might like some day, I put it on my wish list. Same with books that haven't been published yet, or are out only in hardcover. Every couple of weeks I go through the list and see what I want to order.

Starglider

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:44 am

It was great fun to be part of this contest. I thank 2H4 for his efforts in setting this up and congratulate everyone for making this a very enjoyable event!

I have chosen the following four prizes:
- A Field Guide To Airplanes
- Flight Safety Messenger Bag
- SR-71 Sticker
- Turbine Blade (I think I know how to identify it after receiving it and will post my conclusion here on this thread when confirmed)

Onwards to Identify This 5.0!!

Starglider

2H4
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:50 am

Quoting Starglider (Reply 374):

I have chosen the following four prizes:
- A Field Guide To Airplanes
- Flight Safety Messenger Bag
- SR-71 Sticker
- Turbine Blade

Good choices!

Ok Aeroweanie, let us know which three you'd like.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

2H4
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Well, this round just keeps getting better and better.

Aeroweanie has declined his prizes.

This means Bengan will get to choose three prizes, Francoflier will get to choose two....and Scooter01 and Rampkontroler will move on to a Sudden Death round to compete for the remaining prize!

So Bengan, let us know which three prizes you'd like.

Scooter01 and Rampkontroler, let me know when you're ready to go. When you say go, I'll post your first Sudden Death shot with the usual 48-hour deadline.

Oh, but that's not all....it keeps getting better! Not only has Aeroweanie declined his prizes...he has graciously offered prizes of his own!

As an aerodynamics guru and airplane buff, he has run many aircraft types through CFD software, and each prize winner will be able to choose a print of his own as one of their prizes if they wish!

I've posted examples in the Prize Catalog, but Aeroweanie informs me that he's also got all the airliners and many GA types to choose from. Here's an example of a particularly interesting one:

Starglider, please let us know whether or not you'd like to revise your choices.

Many, many thanks to Aeroweanie for such a generous and creative offer.  bigthumbsup 

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

rampkontroler

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 376):
Scooter01 and Rampkontroler, let me know when you're ready to go. When you say go, I'll post your first Sudden Death shot with the usual 48-hour deadline.

Whoa...the game's not over yet! Scooter01...I'm ready when you are!  box 

Scooter01

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:39 pm

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 377):
I'm ready when you are!

The First Scooter is always ready

2H4
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 377):
I'm ready when you are!

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 378):
Scooter is always ready

Ok gents, here's your first Sudden Death shot:

Guesses will be due by Tuesday, November 4th at 5pm central time. If you both get your guesses in before that, I'll post another shot that will be due 48 hours after it's posted.

Good luck!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

rampkontroler

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Oh great...a hellimichopter. My strong suit...NOT! Nevertheless...here we go!

Starglider

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 376):
Starglider, please let us know whether or not you'd like to revise your choices.

Sure, I will take on this offer and will trade in the Flight Safety Messenger Bag for one of the CFD prints Aeroweanie is offering. I read he has CFDs of all the airliners. If available I would like to select A CFD print of the Boeing 777-200ER. If not available I would like to select a CFD print of the North American P-51D Mustang.

Please thank Aeroweany for this great offer.

Scooter01 and Rampkontroller good luck to both of you. Have fun trying to unmask whatever 2H4 throws at you in this Sudden Death round.:D

Starglider

2H4
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting Starglider (Reply 381):
Sure, I will take on this offer and will trade in the Flight Safety Messenger Bag for one of the CFD prints Aeroweanie is offering.

I'm sure he's still monitoring this thread, so I'll let the two of you exchange info.

Bengan, now that we know the Flightsafety messenger bag is available, let us know which three prizes you'd like.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

2H4
Topic Author

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Well, both Rampkontroler and Scooter01 got it.....6 minutes apart, no less!

The helicopter is a Lockheed Model 286.

Here's the next shot, due 48 hours from now:

http://2h4.smugmug.com/photos/408396702_RKmYK-XL.jpg

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

2H4
Topic Author

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:49 pm

Well, sure enough, they both got it. It's a Grumman EA-6B Prowler.

Here's the next Sudden Death shot for Rampkontroler and Scooter01, due 48 hours from now:

http://2h4.smugmug.com/photos/409413886_4AMfs-XL.jpg

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

rampkontroler

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:59 am

Well...I'm still working on it. My initial hunch still seems to be the most logical choice...but I am having a hard time confirming this. I was tempted to just go for it, but at this stage of the game I want to be as certain as I can be. So, I am tired...my eyes are crossed...my butt is telling me it's time for a new chair, and I think I'm gonna get some sleep now so I can answer with some confidence tomorrow.

Scooter01...I bet you've already got it!

Good night  Smile

Scooter01

Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:23 am

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 385):
Scooter01...I bet you've already got it!

Not yet  scratchchin 

Just got up  coffee 

Scooter01

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:35 am

I must admit, the A-6 was easier though...

Whenever I read a book where there is anything about aviation, I always try to find a "Walkaround" of the airplanes involved, and I just finished off some of Jake Graftons exploits  biggrin 

Scooter01

rampkontroler

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:52 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 387):
I must admit, the A-6 was easier though...

Yeah, that one wasn't too bad at all. There's been a few that were no struggle at all, and a few that I lost sleep over, but there were only two that I knew on sight. The S-3 Viking I knew immediately, as that very aircraft is based at my home airport (CLE). The other one that I knew within five seconds was the F-105. It's just so distinctive and was always one of my faves.

I've submitted my answer for this one, and now we await the outcome. For once, I am not 100% certain, but I feel I at least kept it in the ballpark! In a way, I'm almost hoping I got it wrong so I can get on with my life, but I also hope I get it right because I love the game!

We shall see...  Wink

Scooter01

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:12 pm

Not having seen most of these aircraft in real life, only pictures and drawings, I had to rely on references and I still don't see the C-17 in the first clue...

Quoting Rampkontroler (Reply 388):
The S-3 Viking I knew immediately

Due to the shock-absorber I figured it was a carrier-capable aircraft, and from there it was "only" to find something that would fit and confirming it

I knew within five seconds was the F-105.

-I had to count the spoilers and check the sizes up against the 3-plan drawings in some of my reference-books....

I've submitted my answer for this one,

--so have I

so I can get on with my life,

-Wouldn't that be nice...

I love the game!

-Yeah! I'm a masochist too!

-You know, if we both get it right, I bet you that 2H4 -the way I know him from reading all the previous "Identify this" threads, is going to throw us a killer just to end it.
Guess he wants to get on with his life too.....

Apart from spellcheck and edit not working, that's it for this time.
(Guess you Americans have more important things occupying your minds today)

Scooter01

2H4
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 pm

...And the correct answer is:

Illyushin Il-114

http://2h4.smugmug.com/photos/410118150_YKtgd-XL.jpg

Deviously Cropped Shot

http://2h4.smugmug.com/photos/409413886_4AMfs-XL.jpg

Correctly Identified By....and Winner of the Sudden Death Round:

Scooter01  champagne 

Well done to both of you! Scooter, after Bengan and Francoflier choose their prizes, you get to select the final prize.

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 389):
Guess he wants to get on with his life too.....

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

For a few days now, this has started to feel like actual work! I think I'll cut 5.0 down to 4 weeks.  tired 

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

rampkontroler

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm

Ah.......!!! Congrats, Scooter! Well, at least my intuition about it being a medium sized twin turboprop was right...I just couldn't nail down the right one. Oddly enough, I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at the ATP, but in my haste I forgot about this one.

Oh well...there's always next time! And 2H4...thanks again for the fun ride! I know it's a lot of work to run this, and you are greatly appreciated for having done so yet again.  Smile

Now we can all take a breather, and start ordering those old Jane's guides!

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm

This strikes me as a good time to go long old Jane's Guides. Someone could make a killing by hoarding them and selling them back at extortionate prices. Big grin

Bengan

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:07 pm

Congratulations, Scooter01!

And a big Thank You to 2H4 for finding both the time and photos to run this competition!

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 382):

Bengan, now that we know the Flightsafety messenger bag is available, let us know which three prizes you'd like.

2H4

Certainly,
I would like these three prizes:

1. An AeroWeanie CFD print of a graceful AC, a Hawker Hunter, if possible?
2. The Embraer pencil
3. The L-1011 Tie pin

Thanks,
/Bengt

[Edited 2008-11-04 15:21:51]

2H4
Topic Author

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Quoting Bengan (Reply 393):
Certainly,
I would like these three prizes:

1. An AeroWeanie CFD print of a graceful AC, an Hawker Hunter, if possible?
2. The Embraer pencil
3. The L-1011 Tie pin

Excellent choices! Be sure to thank 474218 for the tie pin. Oh, and Starglider, 474218 deserves credit for the SR-71 sticker, and Tdscanuck for the fan blade.

Oh, if only Aeroweanie had run the PZL M-15 through the CFD software....

Ok, Francoflier....time to choose your two prizes!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Starglider

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 am

Congratulations Scooter01!!

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 394):
Oh, and Starglider, 474218 deserves credit for the SR-71 sticker, and Tdscanuck for the fan blade.

I will certainly send both of them a message to thank them for providing these prizes.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 394):
Oh, if only Aeroweanie had run the PZL M-15 through the CFD software....

That plane would probably confuse the computations . . . .it does not fly but is repelled by the Earth.

Starglider

Francoflier

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:04 am

Congrats Scooter, and well done Rampkontroler!

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 394):
Ok, Francoflier....time to choose your two prizes!

Sorry, 2H4, I'm leaving on a trip in an hour and I haven't kept a tally of what prizes are gone and which are still there...

Why doesn't Scooter chooses his first, and I'll choose among the remaining prizes when I come back in a few days?

Cheers!
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

2H4
Topic Author

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:14 am

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 396):
Sorry, 2H4, I'm leaving on a trip in an hour and I haven't kept a tally of what prizes are gone and which are still there...

Why doesn't Scooter chooses his first, and I'll choose among the remaining prizes when I come back in a few days?

Cheers!

What kind of world are we living in where flight planning takes priority over Identify This?  Wink

Sounds good....Scooter, have at it!

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Scooter01

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:16 am

Wow -is it over?

Quoting Francoflier (Reply 396):
Why doesn't Scooter choose his first

..in that case I think the Lockheed Martin sunglasses would be cool  cool 

Thanks again to all of you for providing an interresting and challenging couple of weeks!

-Now I'll get time to do some scanning of all my old negs.

Scooter01  smile 

DaBuzzard

Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:39 pm

Grats to the winners, I knew going in I was over my head  white  but it was a blast anyways....at least I got a couple!

Always seem to stumble across other interesting aircraft while searching for these. Never saw anything quite like the OMAC before, very cool little bird  thumbsup 

Thanks for doing this for us (to us?) yet again 2H4, I can hardly what for v5.0. Man, this is waaaay harder than work.

BTW, my boss and my wife send their "regards"  fight