Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adizzy
Topic Author

Embraer 170/190 Vent Flaps?

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Hey Guys
I was wondering if any one could explain why it is necessary to have "vent flaps" on the doors, both cargo and cabin, of Embraer 170/90/95. It does not seem as though many aircraft have these and I am just a tad bit curious as to what function they perform.

ADIZZY

EMBQA

RE: Embraer 170/190 Vent Flaps?

Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Lots of aircraft have vent flaps on their doors, but might be designed a little different. On the Ejet the vent flaps does a few things. On the cabin doors it aids in arming the slides. You can close the vent flap, but not arm the slide.. but you can't arm the slide without closing the vent flap On the cargo doors it 'locks' the door closed.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

AA737-823

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:34 am

Nearly all airliners have negative pressure relief doors on belly cargo doors. They're in place to allow air to enter the cabin if the exterior pressure were to, somehow, become greater than the interior pressure... hence their name, negative pressure relief.
On the 747, they're on the upper portion of the door face, and they spring closed when you stow the latch handle. This is separate from the electric latching mechanism that closes and latches the door.
Other Boeing widebodies are similar.

320tech

Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Quoting ADiZzy (Thread starter):
I was wondering if any one could explain why it is necessary to have "vent flaps" on the doors, both cargo and cabin, of Embraer 170/90/95.

Having worked on the thing for several weeks, I suggest that it's necessary because Embraer doesn't know how to design an airliner.

The vent handle does operate with the arming handle on the passenger doors, which helps prevent taking off with the vent flaps open. They open automatically when the door is opened from the outside. That, of course, ensures that the door won't blow open from residual cabin pressure and knock you down the jetway. Other airliners use different, arguably better, methods.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

DC8FriendShip

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:13 am

That vent flap is the door lock, with enough surface area to effectively prevent the door from coming unlocked, or from being unlocked in light by a passenger. simple, but effective.
Come fly the Friendly Skies of United

EMBQA

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:45 pm

Quoting 320tech (Reply 3):
Having worked on the thing for several weeks, I suggest that it's necessary because Embraer doesn't know how to design an airliner.

Interesting because the doors are not designed by Embraer.. they're designed by Latecoere... they same people they did the doors on your A320
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

320tech

Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:11 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
Interesting because the doors are not designed by Embraer.. they're designed by Latecoere... they same people they did the doors on your A320

Interesting. Not their best work, I'd say. The door assist bottle can't be readily charged with the liner on (some positions are better than others), the support arm operates with a wonky chain drive system that allows a fair bit of slop in the open / close movements, and it's not immediately obvious whether the door is armed or not, because the arming handle is under a cover.

There are some things I like about the design.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

AA737-823

Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am

Quoting 320tech (Reply 6):
The door assist bottle can't be readily charged with the liner on

WHAT!?!?! Oh, man.... that sucks.
I hate fooling with the liners on various planes......