Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WESTERN737800

RE: Is It True That Pilots Hate Technicians?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:08 am

Its a total team effort. From Pilots to mechanics, cleaners, FAs, dispatch, ramp personell, managment. To function everyone has to trust everyone else, to fulorish everyone has to get along really well. I work at a small company. My dad is a mechanic and were both pilots. I've seen good and not so good personell enviroments. When everyone hangs out away from work, it makes work a special place to be. The comerade rubbs off, and the customers can see it and they appreciate the team that we have. Even if there is a coworker that I dont like I usually "fake it" just to keep the mood upbeat. Working weekends and long hours gets old but when the rest of the crew comes in Monday morning, its back to fun as usual.
Bring back Western Airlines!

acNDTTech

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:16 am

I think that the longevity of certain schools in this country definately say something about the quality of entry level mechanics/technicians entering the field. ERAU, Spartan, and others know how to turn out quality professionals - they've been doing it for a long time......It's up to the individual student to be the best they can be.

stratosphere

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:25 am

Quoting AcNDTTech (Reply 51):
I think that the longevity of certain schools in this country definately say something about the quality of entry level mechanics/technicians entering the field. ERAU, Spartan, and others know how to turn out quality professionals - they've been doing it for a long time......It's up to the individual student to be the best they can be

Agreed..ERAU and Spartan put out a quality product..As they should for the money spent..But I have seen top notch guys from Joe the plumber [email protected] school who were great also. It is all in how much you want to learn and be the best.

acNDTTech

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:24 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 52):
It is all in how much you want to learn and be the best

And the best never stop learning.

HAWK21M

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:28 am

Quoting AcNDTTech (Reply 53):
Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 52):
It is all in how much you want to learn and be the best

And the best never stop learning.

Reminds me of that Qoute:-
MANY DREAM OF SUCCESS.
THE SMART ONES WAKE UP & MAKE IT A REALITY.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Dalmd88

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:27 pm

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 49):
Are you ready for the losers replacement mechanics that you will aquire in this merger? Be ready to do all the work because they can't

I doubt there will be much interaction between the two workgroups. The NW employed mechanics are based mostly in stations that don't have Delta mechanics. Here in BOS the NW station is manned through Swissport. The Swissport contract will be ended. Some might get hired at DL.

VC-10

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:38 am

I'm an Engineer who works in Maint Control. Who do the pilots turn to when they are in flight when they have a problem?

It doesn't matter whether it is an inop toilet or inop flaps, it is maintenance they SATCOM for advice.

hercppmx

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:32 am

Personally I have had different experience's with the military, Yes i'll admit time to time you do see the few pilots who think because they are officers they are god's gift to the A/C. More times than not, I have had pilots who truly wanted to learn their A/C ask us enlisted questions about the different systems. I can to this day recall on very fun deployment. On the trip out, one of the props was having problems. It actually lead to the prop being feathered and the engine being shut down. The co-pilot a lower ranked, some may say boot officer, who thought he knew what the problem was. The I level mech that was there had a different view. It basically turned into a 20 minute debate that ended when the co-pilot asked him one question. "how do you know thats the problem?" his reply "I built the prop." I do have a profound respect for any job that supports missions being flown and accomplished. To answer the main questions of the post. The majority of pilots are very nice and professional with mech's. The ones are not usually are pulled aside and spoken to by senior pilots.

regards
HercPPMX
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

HAWK21M

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Its more to do with an Individual,personality & nature.
People who are confident,friendly & polite are more liked in any airline set up.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)