Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luv2cattlecall
Topic Author

Does JetBlue Remotely Monitor The Pax Cabin?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:39 am

I knew that B6 had cams in their aircraft so that the pilots could keep an eye on the cabin (well..in the A320....I don't remember seeing a display monitor in the E190)..but do they also monitor us from HQ or somewhere else? I can't figure out why that would really be necessary...especially since the aircraft is already on the ground!

The reason I'm asking is due to something written in this article - If I'm not mistaken, the WADL is the ground wifi network used to upload movies and download credit card transactions from the aircraft.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...-broadband-in-flight-solution.html

excerpt:

Quote:
The service will combine the low data rate capability of Kiteline with LiveTV's ability to upload large amounts of cached content to onboard servers via its wireless aircraft data link (WADL).

For several years WADL has provided JetBlue with continuous remote-video monitoring of its aircraft cabins on the ground. But it also enables movies as well as relatively fresh stored content to be uploaded to the aircraft.

Thanks!

EMBQA

RE: Does JetBlue Remotely Monitor The Pax Cabin?

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:43 am

I'd say that since this is of a security nature we really don't need to be discussing this....
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

cainanuk

Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:47 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
I'd say that since this is of a security nature we really don't need to be discussing this....

I would disagree. In this day this would be a really interesting thing to have. If this is the case perhaps those on the ground could have gotten a clearer picture of just what was happening onboard those 4 aircraft on Sept 11....
Cainan Cornelius

Starlionblue

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:07 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):

It's an open forum. Self-censorship seems a bit excessive. If we are not bound by confidentiality agreements or the like I see no harm.

Anyway if it is in Flightglobal it's already "out there".
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ArmitageShanks

Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
I'd say that since this is of a security
nature we really don't need to be discussing this....

It always benefits the public if information is available. Why on earth would it matter if we know they can view it from the ground?

fadecfault

Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:14 pm

We were able to monitor any A320 in the range of a wadl signal on any computer connected to the ltv intranet and with the appropriate software. So as long as the aircraft is near JFK T5/6 and the system in turned on, I would have been able view the cabin from Beijing if I wanted to.

We actually had a Supervisor watch us work on an ac from home...

I Don't know if there is capability of connectivity from the air. I doubt it though.
The views and opinions written here are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

luv2cattlecall
Topic Author

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:28 am

Quoting FADECFAULT (Reply 5):
I Don't know if there is capability of connectivity from the air. I doubt it though.

Thanks so much for your answer and for sharing your knowledge...it's a really nice feeling knowing that a.net (well..tech/ops anyway!) is a dependable resource full of aviation professionals who are willing to answer questions for others who are interested in the field!

I'm thinking you're right about the lack of connectivity from the air, since they can't even do credit card transactions from the air...and video would be a huge bandwidth hog!

Why is it that B6 is so gung-ho about security/monitoring on the Airbii, but more or less ignore the Embraer birds?

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):

?...we talk about TSA procedures all the time, and that the biggest "revelation" that could have occurred is no...the aircraft can't be remotely monitored (which is true on just about every airline out there)...I fail to see the hazard caused by answering the question. I would think the crash-axe would be a much more relevant deterrent than someone watching the plane from 2 miles away... It's not like I asked where the button for the cabin-wide knockout gas release is, and what brand of mask is recommended so that you don't succumb to that gas.....

HAWK21M

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:02 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):

True,as long as the details are not provided.That the professionals must be carefull not to reveal.

But I've heard of cameras mouted to cover galley & cabin areas with the viewing screen in the Flight deck.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)