Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mozart
Topic Author

Approach Procedure For Samos Lgsm - How?

Sat May 02, 2009 4:29 pm

I was looking at an approach chart of Samos (LGSM). I don't get it - or it's crazy. Probably both actually. Here's a web version (I have a somewhat more detailed version from Navigraph, but I can't link to that here in this post:

The airport has one runway, with headings of 088 and 268 respectively.

Looking at the "VOR 359" approach plate, it tells me that I should be at 3,000ft at D9 SAM which is due South of the airfield. It then tells me to head straight North to the VOR and the airfield. OK.

The chart shows me that at approx. 1.5NM South of the VOR I must decide to go around or not.

But then: where do I change headings to line up with the runway?? Especially runway 09?Looks like I need to make a sharp left turn and then a sharp right turn again to line up just a few miles before the threshold. All of this at very low altitude.

Do I interpret the chart correctly?

Can anyone who knows the procedure describe it to me?

mozart
Topic Author

RE: Approach Procedure For Samos Lgsm - How?

Sat May 02, 2009 4:52 pm

OK, after some research I now figure it: crossing SAM VOR at 6,000ft, then turn to HDG 161 to D9 SAM, crossing there at 3,000, then HDG 359 back to VOR SAM, leave that HDG just a few NM before SAM and lign up with the runway.

Still my question remains: how early/late does one leave the course 359 to SAM to lign up with runway? At what point to lower the gear? At what point to be in full landing config?

Thanks

[Edited 2009-05-02 09:54:33]

DescendVia

Sat May 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Quoting Mozart (Thread starter):
(I have a somewhat more detailed version from Navigraph, but I can't link to that here in this post:

Can't get much better then Jeppesen.........

Quoting Mozart (Thread starter):
Do I interpret the chart correctly?

No you didn't...... this approach is a circle to land approach since the approach course is offset from the runway/extended centerline by more then 30 degrees (there is some non-standard approaches like the LDA/DME 26L at HNL that break this rule but that is only on a case by case basis).

So in this case you would break off the approach and either do the circle to land pattern, or enter a normal traffic pattern (I.E downwind, base, and then final). You notice that its just VOR/DME and no associated runway, so that is the first clue right there.

I suggest you goggle "circle to land" and that would be a better way to try to learn it then trying to have us type it out on a.net.

Just 5 things to note.
1) Your guaranteed at least 300 feet of obstacle clearance at MDA inside the circling radius (some places might not be able to provide the minimum so they either raise the minimums or restrict that area from circling).

2) Take note that this is a PAN OPS built approach, PAN OPS gives the planes a bit more radi in the primary protected area then TERPS (FAA) do. I have a great chart Jeppesen provided in the Airway stuff but I don't know if I can find a way to post it.

3) Most airlines actually limit these approaches to either VFR (1000-3) or the published minimums, which ever is greater.

4) I was told a timing trick that works for EVERY category of aircraft. Use 15 seconds to time before you turn. I.E. you pass over the MAP (SAM VOR), start the timer for 15 seconds, then turn onto the downwind. Once once abeam your point of tounchdown, start the timer again for another 15 seconds. Once at 15 seconds, turn your base, then final.

5) Lastly, if you have to go missed after passing the MAP, make a climbing turn TOWARD your planed runway then get back onto the published part of the missed approach. That way you should always stay inside protected airspace.

[Edited 2009-05-02 11:45:20]

N353SK

Sat May 02, 2009 7:13 pm

To add to what DescendVia said, Aircraft on a circling approach can break away from the final approach path and align to land when they have the airport in sight and are reasonably certain they won't lose sight of it again. Aircraft also have to stay within a certain distance of the airport (1.3 - 4 miles depending on approach speed category).

If an aircraft is circling and loses sight of the airport at any time it must execute the missed approach procedure immediately. Almost all approaches have circling minimums published, meaning that at an airport with only one ILS the pilot could take the ILS down to circling minimums and then land on a runway that favors the wind.

Also, on that approach you don't have to start at the VOR and fly south. There are two other initial approach fixes: You can start at DELOX and arc to the final approach path, and you can also start at LARKI and intercept the FAP.