Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sovietjet
Topic Author

O'Hare(ORD) Runway Operations

Wed May 20, 2009 5:20 am

I was curious if O'Hare uses just one runway for departures/arrivals at night. This is what I've heard. And if so, what hours is this valid?

Small side question: While searching for this in google I accidently found some articles about how runway 10/28 was shortened 4000ft overnight. Why was this done and when? Also which side was shortened?

tdscanuck

RE: O'Hare(ORD) Runway Operations

Wed May 20, 2009 7:18 am

Quoting Sovietjet (Thread starter):
Small side question: While searching for this in google I accidently found some articles about how runway 10/28 was shortened 4000ft overnight. Why was this done and when? Also which side was shortened?

That's part of the O'Hare Modernization Program:
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...on+Program&entityNameEnumValue=130

I think it was the west end that got shortened, but I'm not positive. It was done to make room for other parts of the construction project. Their website has monthly construction updates going back several years, so you can reconstruct the sequence of events in detail if you want to. A good overview is here:
http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/w...ram&deptMainCategoryOID=-536884664

Tom.

Cubsrule

Wed May 20, 2009 3:11 pm

I was curious if O'Hare uses just one runway for departures/arrivals at night.

Between about 2200 and 0600 (or so), most arrivals seem to be on 32L.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

DescendVia

Wed May 20, 2009 3:22 pm

ORD RWY 10/28 E 3719 CLSD TIL 0910011100

According to the -8 page Jepp provided, its for relocation of 28s threshold. They provided the declared distances for 10/28 which has cut 10/28 by a good 35-40%. It also shows that ILS10 has been downgraded to CATI and the LOC28 is the only approach for 28 (the RNAV approach to 28 is not even allowed) since they have shut of the glideslope since its calibrated for the entire runway. Plus most of the runway lights are out of service as well, along with a ton of associated taxiway closures.

This went into effect May 7th and goes till September 30th with the nighttime closures of 10/28 having started March 24th going until November 20th.

Here are the FDC NOTAMs

ORD FI/T CHICAGO-O'HARE INTL, CHICAGO, IL. ILS OR LOC RWY 28, AMDT 15A... S-ILS 28 NA. S-LOC 28 VIS CATS A/B 1, CATS C/D 1 1/4. VDP NA. VGSI AND DESCENT ANGLES NOT COINCIDENT. INOPERATIVE TABLE DOES NOT APPLY

ORD FI/T CHICAGO-O'HARE INTL, CHICAGO, IL. ILS RWY 28 (CAT II), AMDT 15A... ILS RWY 28 (CAT III), AMDT 15A... RNAV (GPS) RWY 28, AMDT 2A... PROCEDURE NA.

[Edited 2009-05-20 08:25:43]

sovietjet
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. This then explains why all the aircraft were approaching runway 28 higher than usual when I went there last week. So I guess the east end got closed.

Goldenshield

Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 pm

32L is usually 1 of 2 open runways at night. The other runway rotates depending on the work being done. Rarely is it NOTAMed closed during this period.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

DescendVia

Thu May 21, 2009 12:48 am

Quoting DescendVia (Reply 3):
shut of the glideslope since its calibrated for the entire runway

I should also mention that they may have even taken the entire glide slope box off its position since where they put those things (200-650' offset down the runway) is in the heart of the construction. No need to damage it if it can be used again........

sovietjet
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Another question here. I've noticed that ever since the new runway opened almost everyday they use all three parallel runways for arrivals. However these runways are usually not at capacity and have longer than usual(for O'hare) time between planes. In this configuration runway 22L is usually used for departures however there's always a huge line of planes waiting there for takeoff because every once in a while a plane lands on runway 28 and they have to wait for it. Wouldn't it make more sense if all the arrivals use just the two 9/27 runways so that 22L can be used freely?

IAHFLYR

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 7):
Another question here. I've noticed that ever since the new runway opened almost everyday they use all three parallel runways for arrivals.

The object is to land!

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 7):
However these runways are usually not at capacity and have longer than usual(for O'hare) time between planes. In this configuration runway 22L is usually used for departures however there's always a huge line of planes waiting there for takeoff because every once in a while a plane lands on runway 28 and they have to wait for it. Wouldn't it make more sense if all the arrivals use just the two 9/27 runways so that 22L can be used freely?

The delay for an arrival on 28 should be just a second since the approach ends are so close together but even a minimal delay adds up quickly.

I'll track down someone who is able to answer your ORD questions.....P3ORION.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

IAHFLYR

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 8):
I'll track down someone who is able to answer your ORD questions.....P3ORION.

Or maybe not, the dude let his membership expire.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

sovietjet
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Thanks for the information. Here's another question although not directly related to the topic. If I were to rent a Cessna or something...can I fly over O'hare to take photos? Is there a minimum altitude? Sort of like how they do it at LAX...

Ward86IND

Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 10):
Thanks for the information. Here's another question although not directly related to the topic. If I were to rent a Cessna or something...can I fly over O'hare to take photos? Is there a minimum altitude? Sort of like how they do it at LAX...

Ceiling of the Class B is 10,000....whether or not it's a good idea to fly VFR up there is another story...
Live your dream.

sovietjet
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:08 am

Quoting Ward86IND (Reply 11):

So class B airspace cannot be used unless you're landing at O'hare? Or how exactly does this work? Sorry I'm no pilot and I don't know these things. Also why is it not a good idea to fly above 10000 VFR? It's not even 2 miles high...

Ward86IND

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:22 pm

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 12):
So class B airspace cannot be used unless you're landing at O'hare? Or how exactly does this work? Sorry I'm no pilot and I don't know these things. Also why is it not a good idea to fly above 10000 VFR? It's not even 2 miles high...

The Class B can be used, you just need a clearance, but ATC may or may not want to let you in there if you are not an inbound. If anything I would try around 2:00 pm or some time when there isnt a swarm of departures and arrivals. You can fly over O'Hare perfectly legally above 10,000 without talking to ATC, but I wouldnt recommend it due to the sheer amount of IFR traffic that will be in your viscinity.
Live your dream.

DescendVia

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:54 pm

Quoting Ward86IND (Reply 13):
If anything I would try around 2:00 pm or some time when there isnt a swarm of departures and arrivals

Good luck....... There is never a "lull" at ORD.

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 12):

Sorry pal but chances are your NOT going to get into the ORD Bravo. It might be different at LAX since they probably have VFR corridors set up but ORD is a "CF" and they have no time for flight following, especially to allow some Cessna overfly ORD and take pictures. Heck even most light GA IFR traffic is re-routed away from the Bravo.

Ward86IND

Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Quoting DescendVia (Reply 14):
Good luck....... There is never a "lull" at ORD.

Actually, a flight student at my school a few years ago was not only cleared into the Bravo, but allowed to do a touch and go in the early afternoon in between the departure and arrival banks. And this was obviously before the economic downturn, now at times it's hard to believe ORD is the second busiest airport in the world. So it can happen if you are lucky. As far as a photo op, depends how badly you want it. If you wanna orbit the airport at 10,000 feet, you can, but you would make the lives of Chicago TRACON controllers a living hell.
Live your dream.

planespotting

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Quoting Ward86IND (Reply 15):
Actually, a flight student at my school a few years ago was not only cleared into the Bravo, but allowed to do a touch and go in the early afternoon in between the departure and arrival banks.

Certainly you can do it - and in the mid-afternoon is the best time. I know a few guys at Windy City Flyers who do touch and goes there every so often.

The best time to do it would be after 10 p.m. though - most all spoke-to-hub flights are in and cargo isn't very busy yet. Night time isn't the best for photos though, of course.
Do you like movies about gladiators?