Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

FAA Question

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHmrcCfdZFM&feature=related

This is clearly a difficult approach to a runway, do the FAA have a say over which airports american aircraft can land at?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Fly2HMO

RE: FAA Question

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:08 pm

Quoting Readytotaxi (Thread starter):

This is clearly a difficult approach to a runway, do the FAA have a say over which airports american aircraft can land at?

Approaches for airports like Tegucigalpa and Quito usually have crew limitations. Basically the crew needs extra training to be able to fly into those places. I think it's more of a requirement as per the airline itself rather than the FAA but I could be wrong.

jwenting

Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:09 pm

Bit tight, but nothing too weird.

And no, the FAA does not determine where you can fly to.
Of course the State Department can impose a travel ban or trade sanctions against a country which would ban anyone from flying there out of the US, but that's it.
I wish I were flying

DescendVia

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):

Approaches for airports like Tegucigalpa and Quito usually have crew limitations. Basically the crew needs extra training to be able to fly into those places. I think it's more of a requirement as per the airline itself rather than the FAA but I could be wrong.

Its actually more airplane qualifications first followed by the crew training for SAAAR or AR approaches.

Quoting Readytotaxi (Thread starter):
do the FAA have a say over which airports american aircraft can land at?

Not really its more of an airline thing.

Viscount724

Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:44 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 2):
Of course the State Department can impose a travel ban or trade sanctions against a country which would ban anyone from flying there out of the US, but that's it.

As they did a couple of weeks ago to prohibit DL from inaugurating their new service to NBO due to security issues at NBO and in Kenya as a whole. DL had to cancel that new route on only a few days notice.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Quoting DescendVia (Reply 3):

Its actually more airplane qualifications first

If you're talking about RNP and CATII/III then yes. But you can still do a visual approach into those airports with no fancy equipment, BUT some airlines (like my former employer) require special crew qualification (i.e. extra training) to be able to fly into those high risk/challenging airports regardless of aircraft equipment.

DescendVia

Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:44 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):

Well yeah exactly but I thought we were talking only about the 757 in the video.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 5):
Well yeah exactly but I thought we were talking only about the 757 in the video.

I'm sure AA has the same restrictions.

DescendVia

Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 7):

Well yeah but again I thought it was about the "approach" in the video not the airline in general.

IAHFLYR

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:50 am

There are special airports which each operator is required to have their crews specific qualifications to fly into, Tegucigalpa is of those for almost all, if not all U.S. flag carriers.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

bond007

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:25 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
I think it's more of a requirement as per the airline itself rather than the FAA

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 2):

Well, there appears to be some inconsistencies here. If it's airline, crew training, or airplane specific, then it IS an FAA requirement, since it's the FAA imposing these restrictions and regulations. For Part 121 (which I assume we're talking here for the most part), there are many requirements for a specific route, and each route must be approved by the FAA. Runways, approaches, fire fighting facilities, crew training, etc., are all part of this process.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:38 pm

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 10):
and each route must be approved by the FAA. Runways, approaches, fire fighting facilities, crew training, etc., are all part of this process.

That was what I was getting at.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.