jorge1812
Topic Author

Climb Performance Airbus A 300-600?

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:49 am

Hello.

A few months back I was on this A-300 departure with an impressive Climb out of TXL.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Georg Noack

In another forum they doubt my pic and the climb rate I got from the Pilot flying. SO I ask you what the maximum climb-rate of the A 300-600 is.

Later I will reveal the the climb-rate I got from pilot but at this point I don't want to "confuse" the users here - I simply want facts.

In the other forum they say the A-300 can only do 3000ft/min....

georg

[Edited 2010-01-16 03:49:47]

Starlionblue

RE: Climb Performance Airbus A 300-600?

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:44 pm

I don't know the max rate, but I will say this:

Climb rates are very dependent on weight and atmospheric conditions. The caption notes that this was a "last flight" so it might be safe to assume the aircraft was low on weight. Also any derate stuff was probably thrown out the window.

Another note is that ground angle and rate of climb are related, but not perfectly proportional. In other words a very high angle does not necessarily mean the highest climb rate.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

jorge1812
Topic Author

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 1):

Thanks! The flight was not half full and that for a very short distance. No doubt everything was safe during that take-off.

georg

Starlionblue

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:03 pm

You bet it was safe. Pilots taking off don't aim for a specific angle, they aim for a specific speed. They will set take-off thrust and rotate at the appropriate speed. Now if they have relatively more thrust (no de-rate, cooler air), less weight and cooler air (more lift), the aircraft will go faster for a given climb angle. So to hit their target climb speed, they have to lift the nose up higher.

It is conceptually quite simple. To hit the specified climb speed you must set the climb angle to whatever balances thrust, lift, gravity and drag.

BTW Concorde's last few take-offs were pretty spectacular as well. And so are many airshow takeoffs. I seem to recall a pic of the An-225 at an airshow. Empty it climbs like a rocket.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tdscanuck

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Quoting Jorge1812 (Thread starter):
In the other forum they say the A-300 can only do 3000ft/min...

The A300 is still a twin, which means it has to meet twin engine-out climb gradient rules. If all you can get is 3000 ft/min with both engines while lightly loaded, something is very very wrong with the engines.

Tom.

seabosdca

Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:53 pm

The A306 and A310 have the highest thrust-to-weight ratios of any widebodies flying, which helps their climb performance (although, on the other hand, they also have relatively small wings, which hurts it a bit). My experience is that they climb very quickly indeed.

kimberlyRJ

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 pm

I have flown on Monarch Airlines A300’s at least 20 times now and each time I am surprised by their take off performance – the take off roll is often extremely rapid and then the A306 gets airborne and seems to climbs at a high rate, most flights I went on were full of passengers (361 give or take) and all their luggage and often the aircraft was taking on from short runways and high temperatures (38oC plus).

I did notice something else about the A306 – on most of the flights I went on the aircraft flew at relatively low altitudes – say FL300 thru FL340 on a five hour flight and we remained at the same altitude the whole sector.

Maybe an ex Lufthansa or American Airlines employee could spread some light...

Kimberly

jorge1812
Topic Author

Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Reply 6):
Maybe an ex Lufthansa or American Airlines employee could spread some light...

I hope so too.

georg

TS-IOR

Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:56 pm

It's a common scene here in Tunis/DTTA. An Air France A32S depart then followed a minute later by a Tunisair A306 ! Having the same routing, at first contact with ATC, the AB6 announces rate of climb, rarely inferior to 4000ft per minute, to get vectoring to overtake the french !

The AB6 could be categorized as a long-haul aircraft, and remains light and performant when put on short and medium sectors, even at full load. The mighty A300-600 !