theengineer
Topic Author

Locks On Airliner Doors?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 pm

Are there any locks on airliner doors? I mean is it possible to lock them from outside? I've looked a few times when I was boarding but never saw such a mechanism that was visible on the outside.

zanl188

RE: Locks On Airliner Doors?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Quoting Theengineer (Thread starter):
Are there any locks on airliner doors?

None that I'm aware of. Whar I have seen quite a bit of is remnants of security tape. The tape is put around the edge of a door after it's closed. When removed it leaves remanants that are difficult to remove. Allows the crew or airline personnel to know if the aircraft has been tampered with or not.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Laszlo Daniel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Matt Coleman - Nashville Aviation Photographers

Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Drfix2fly

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Boeing don't have them as built, but I have seen a few private/corprate 737, and 727 that had custom security systems, the 737 even had motion detectors in the wheel wells I think they a cylinder lock on the outside handles that kept them form pulling out, which would still allow the inside handle to open the door.

smaller aircraft I have worked on have provisions built in where locks can be added, the SAAB 340 had little hooks that fit in the handle and over a post to fit a padlock and the CRJ200 had a hole in the handle where a lock cylinder could go,

I don't remember about airbus

zanl188

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:34 pm

The trusty Herc has a padlock hasp on the crew door...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jiri Zedka

Although I think most crews will just use a boxcar seal instead of a padlock.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Starlionblue

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:55 pm

There's no real point having locks on most airliners. Someone will keep an eye on them most of the time. Also maintenance and housekeeping need to get in.

If they are left "alone" for longer periods I think it is like with cars. If someone really wants to get in, he/she will.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

hercppmx

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 am

Quoting ZANL188 (Reply 3):
The trusty Herc has a padlock hasp on the crew door...

We still use them every night, the problem is that even if you lock the crew entrance door and chain and pin the paratroop doors the emergency exits can still be opened and if you can get on top of the aircraft the 3 roof hatches have handles that can be pulled making the hatch fall away.
C-130; it's a love-hate relationship

dw747400

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:47 am

Quoting Drfix2fly (Reply 2):
Boeing don't have them as built, but I have seen a few private/corprate 737, and 727 that had custom security systems,

Travolta's 707 features locks on almost every access panel, including the lav dump. No stealing JT's blue juice...
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

Starlionblue

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am

Quoting Dw747400 (Reply 6):
Travolta's 707 features locks on almost every access panel, including the lav dump. No stealing JT's blue juice...

Lol. Well, I guess there has to be an exception somewhere.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:09 pm

This calls for pictures. Smile
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

boeing767mech

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 pm

I remember the SAAB 340's having eyelits that you could use to lock the L1/R1 and cargo door.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jarek Dabrowski [epwa_spotters]

You can see the eyelit forward of the closed placard below the handle.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

kimberlyRJ

Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:21 am

Hello  Smile

Slightly off topic but security tape is often used inside the cabin when the aircraft is being left unattended – for example the lavatories on our long haul aircraft have security seals put on certain doors inside the lavatory when the aircraft is left at airports where they may be moved from the terminal building or if they are on the ground for an extended period of time.

If the seal/s are broken we then call security and have extra checks preformed.

Kimberly

Ps. As we all know most aircraft have the FD door locked and most aircraft have at least two over head lockers which can be locked with a key (they often contain crew bags, or first aid kits containing certain controlled medication, such as morphine etc).

Web500sjc

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 am

Going along with locks on the doors, what precautions are there to stop somebody from starting an airplane and running away with it. Are there keys, although when I have been in a cockpit I have never seen a car style starter, I think when boeing sold united the first 772 they gave them keys, was that just ceremonial.
Boiler Up!

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:47 am

Quoting Web500sjc (Reply 11):
Are there keys

The B737 cockpit door has a key from outside,but rarely used.Out here there is always A Security presence around the aircraft.
regds
MEL.

tdscanuck

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:21 am

Going along with locks on the doors, what precautions are there to stop somebody from starting an airplane and running away with it.

1) You need to get on board...so either you've got your own airstair, or you found a way through the locked jetbridge door.
2) You need to remove the chocks...so you need ground cooperation or you need some way to get from the flight deck to the ramp and back up (see 1).

Are there keys, although when I have been in a cockpit I have never seen a car style starter, I think when boeing sold united the first 772 they gave them keys, was that just ceremonial.

Ceremonial. No Boeing that I'm aware of has a key-based engine starter. But the silver-plated ceremonial keys they give away are really nice.

Tom.

alwaysontherun

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 13):
1) You need to get on board...so either you've got your own airstair, or you found a way through the locked jetbridge door.
2) You need to remove the chocks...so you need ground cooperation or you need some way to get from the flight deck to the ramp and back up (see 1).

Yep, and assuming you have enough "petrol" on board.......you still have to "power back" your way away from the gate...........
Or if the plane is on a remote stand, there´s a good chance the APU is not running making it even more difficult to do a quick "get away".

Even if you would sneak into a plane that has been prepared to depart from a remote stand with the crew not yet on board, there´s normally some catering truck, maintenance, and refueling vehicles around, blocking your escape, as well as airstairs fore and aft. And what about the anti-theft GPS trackers that all new vehicles have these days........
I imagine it will be even harder to be undetected in a plane (!!!) and authorities are very nervous about mystery planes these days.........trigger-happy almost.

Even for smaller private aircraft, the crook would have to know his / her way around the machine.......for instance with the one I fly he / she better know where the fuel valve is because if it´s closed the engine will still start........only to die after 2 minutes or so, which could be just at the "get away" rotation............oooooops!

I know they stole 2 engines from our club recently, but the cops caught the thieves "as word went around" quickly. The people who got offered the stolen engines happened to be friends of the victims of the theft. Small world.........aviation.

Yes, the life of a plane thief is not easy...........he / she´d be better off finding a real job.

### "I am always on the Run"###
"Failure is not an option, it comes standard in any Windows product" - an anonymous MAC owner.

stratosphere

Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:58 am

Going along with locks on the doors, what precautions are there to stop somebody from starting an airplane and running away with it. Are there keys, although when I have been in a cockpit I have never seen a car style starter, I think when boeing sold united the first 772 they gave them keys, was that just ceremonial.

Well small planes like cessnas have been stolen every now and then by aspiring pilots or actual private pilots...Airliners on the other hand you are not just going to go in and steal it. Aside from the security problems you would face unless you were a mechanic or pilot experienced in airliners you would never figure out how to start it anyway..And no there are no keys to start an airliner...As for cockpit doors they do have keys and most now have an electronic keypad also to open the door.

rwessel

Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:00 pm

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 15):
Well small planes like cessnas have been stolen every now and then by aspiring pilots or actual private pilots...Airliners on the other hand you are not just going to go in and steal it.

Just to be contrarian, there was that 727 that was apparently stolen from an airport in Angola six or seven years ago. I don't know, but did that ever get found? There were rumors of sightings in Africa for a while.

This reminds me of the old (probably apocryphal) story:

There was a rash of instrument thefts from light aircraft at a certain airport. One of the owners had been robbed more than once, and decided to protect his cockpit by leaving his Doberman in the aircraft overnight. The next morning, all the instruments were still there, but the all the delicious Naugahyde upholstery was missing...

Drfix2fly

Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:56 am

I have never been foutnate enough to see Johns 707 but that would probably be only the first line of his custum security system

stratosphere

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 am

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 16):
Just to be contrarian, there was that 727 that was apparently stolen from an airport in Angola six or seven years ago. I don't know, but did that ever get found? There were rumors of sightings in Africa for a while.

You may be right but an amateur is not going to steal a 727..Gotta know what you are doing.

nws2002

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:33 am

Quoting Rwessel (Reply 16):
I don't know, but did that ever get found? There were rumors of sightings in Africa for a while.

I don't think it was ever found. It's probably been parted-out or left in a jungle somewhere to corrode away by now. There was mention of it being in a crash back in 2004, and it was also sighted at an airport then as well, something about the registration number being covered up but showing through in the right light.

oldtimer

Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:31 pm

The Bae 146/RJ aircraft have locks on all the holds and access panels that allow ingress to the aircraft. Its the same lock as on the HS 125 series and the Comet series. Still have my key, though I am now retired, and except as a pax have not been near an aircraft for ten years.
Oldtimer, I should have known better!

HAWK21M

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Quoting Oldtimer (Reply 20):
The Bae 146/RJ aircraft have locks on all the holds and access panels that allow ingress to the aircraft.

Is it a common key.If not is there any incription to identify the lock to the key.
regds
MEL.

oldtimer

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 21):
Is it a common key.If not is there any incription to identify the lock to the key.

Now that would be going too far to answer that one.

Came in handy when I did demostration flights and toolbox was locked up in the forward hold for the RON. We used to put mechanical locks on the cabin doors so they could not be opened from the outside and then exited via trapdoor on the flight deck and out through avionics bay door which was then locked with the key.
oldtimer

COSPN

Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:35 am

AN-12 and IL 76 have Big Keys and locks on the door

HAWK21M

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 am

Quoting Oldtimer (Reply 22):
when I did demostration flights

What type was this?
regds
MEL...

oldtimer

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 24):
What type was this?

Bae 146-200, and yes, Delhi came up a few times as well, but that is another story.

oldtimer

musang

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm

[quote=Oldtimer,reply=20]The Bae 146/RJ aircraft have locks on all the holds and access panels that allow ingress to the aircraft. Its the same lock as on the HS 125 series and the Comet series.

Same handle/lock on the Trident IIRC, on the passenger door aswell as the lower doors.

Regards - musang

HAWK21M

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:27 am

Quoting Oldtimer (Reply 25):

Bae 146-200, and yes, Delhi came up a few times as well, but that is another story.

Interesting.......Would like to hear that story one day.What about BOM.
cheers.
regds
MEL.