Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jhooper
Topic Author

Getting ATP As A Miliary Pilot

Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 am

61.39(b)(2) allows one to use an expired ATP written test report to take the practical test for the ATP, provided you are a military pilot who completed the PIC qualification program in an aircraft appropriate to the rating sought.

I ask because I currently hold expired written test results. While I'm studying to take it again, I want to avoid doing so if I legally can. So, having complied with 61.39(b)(2) in the C-5, how would I use the expired test to get the ATP? Would I go to some place like ATP and take the practical? ..and would the DPE accept my test result? I don't guess there's a way to just get it done in the C-5 (or sim), is there?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

lowrider

RE: Getting ATP As A Miliary Pilot

Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:02 pm

You can do your ATP in the C5 sim, so long as you have a Fed or a DPE in there. Otherwise, a letter from a representative in your unit stating that you are a pilot and have been continuously from some date prior to your ATP written test expiring will suffice for most DPEs.
Proud OOTSK member

dispatchguy

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 am

Quoting lowrider (Reply 1):
Fed or a DPE in there

Would the Fed/DPE need to be qual/current in the C5?
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

UH60FtRucker

Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 pm

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 2):
Would the Fed/DPE need to be qual/current in the C5?

Yes. And legally you are not suppose to use government equipment for your own personal gain (ie: getting a specific rating). The way many military pilots get their civilian counterpart licenses, is by rolling them into the same training/schooling that they are already getting for military purposes. ...But to go and reserve SIM time specifically for you to take a civilian exam is legally dicey.

As for jhoppers answer, yes you can use your expired test results. As long as you took the test, and passed, when you were on active duty, rated in the appropriate aircraft, the test results are valid. Take the paperwork down to the practical test examiners, and it should not be a problem.
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

jhooper
Topic Author

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 3):
Yes. And legally you are not suppose to use government equipment for your own personal gain (ie: getting a specific rating). The way many military pilots get their civilian counterpart licenses, is by rolling them into the same training/schooling that they are already getting for military purposes. ...But to go and reserve SIM time specifically for you to take a civilian exam is legally dicey.

Yea, I thought about how I could justify it to the boss. We're allowed to reserve the sim for training/currency requirements; I don't know how it would be any different just because I bring an examiner in there with me for an evaluation, but the bean counters might see it differently. Anyway, the tough part would be finding a current/qualified C-5 pilot who is also a DPE; not sure how many of those exist.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

pilotpip

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:13 pm

A lot of Feds are ex military guys. If you call your local FSDO there's likely one there.
DMI