planetalkerman
Topic Author

Help Needed Regarding Air Traffic Control Career

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:14 am

Does anyone know of information or a website where I can get started with air traffic control in the U.S.?

I heard it was a very high paying job and government work as well.

Thanks.

Dazed767

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:40 am

http://jobs.faa.gov/asap_detail.asp?vac_id=112697

Apply. Might take awhile to hear from them then they'll schedule you for the test. I missed well qualified by 2 points, seems they were only taking 'well qualified' because of so many applicants.

andyinpit

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:39 am

I can tell you the hiring process is going to take quite awhile. One of my sups heard on a conference call that FAA is really pulling back on hiring. Hopefully you can start the process soon and good luck

maestrojjp

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 pm

I can tell you the hiring process is going to take quite awhile. One of my sups heard on a conference call that FAA is really pulling back on

Quoting planetalkerman (Thread starter):

The hiring process does indeed take a very, very long time - I understand it to be more than 18 months in some cases - as it is a government operation.

The posting referred to by Dazed767 is for specific Air Traffic Control school degree graduates only, however. If you haven't taken gone to a specific school for this, they won't accept your application on this one. For "OTS," or "Off the Street" hires, you have to wait for what are called PUBNAT announcements. The last was PUBNAT8, which closed in August of last year if I remember correctly. PUBNAT9 may be released in the next few months, but that is anyone's guess.

For reference, I applied to PUBNAT8 with a strong resume, huge passion for aviation, and a private pilot's license. I was contacted to take the test over two months later, traveled from CMH to PIT to take the test, and scored well qualified. This was 10/15/2009, and I have yet to hear anything further. The online boards that discuss this are saying that there may be HR folks contacting people by summer. So obviously, yes, the process takes forever.

Refer to stuckmic.com and jetcareers.com for more information about this specific topic, and best of luck. They have full information about the hiring process, steps, etc. - I am hugely interested, but it is a long, long waiting game.

kellmark

RE: Help Needed Regarding Air Traffic Control Career

Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

First of all, how old are you? Max age for hiring as an ATC controller is 31.

Second, it will take awhile, but it can be done. The best route is through an FAA approved CTI (College Training Initiative ) school. There are about 30 of them around the country.

Disclaimer. I am a professor at one of these schools.

You go through one of those programs which generally take 2-4 years, take the FAA required aptitude test (ATSAT) and then apply to the FAA. When accepted, you then go through the FAA ATC Academy in Oklahoma City for several months. You then go to your assigned ATC facility and are trained there for several years until you "check out" as a controller.

The salary and benefits are high, with excellent job security. But there are also thousands of applicants, especially in this economy.

Also, in recent months, the FAA has slowed in their hiring. From what I gather, the Academy is pretty full and the facilities themselves are jammed with more trainees than they can efficiently handle. So there is a backlog of applicants waiting.

But we have many of our graduates working with the FAA all around the country, and if you go through the process, it is well worth it.

EMBQA

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Quoting kellmark (Reply 4):
First of all, how old are you? Max age for hiring as an ATC controller is 31.

.....and I think you also need to have completed training and have your first duty station assignment before you turn 31.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Natesantiago88

Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:47 pm

Quoting MaestroJJP (Reply 3):
For reference, I applied to PUBNAT8 with a strong resume, huge passion for aviation, and a private pilot's license. I was contacted to take the test over two months later, traveled from CMH to PIT to take the test, and scored well qualified. This was 10/15/2009, and I have yet to hear anything further.

Took the test on 10/14 and on the same boat.

But we have many of our graduates working with the FAA all around the country, and if you go through the process, it is well worth it.

Graduating from a CTI does not guarantee you a job either. I'm sure it helps immensely.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):

.....and I think you also need to have completed training and have your first duty station assignment before you turn 31.

It's actually you need to have a TOL by the time you reach 31.

mastyc

Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Second, it will take awhile, but it can be done. The best route is through an FAA approved CTI (College Training Initiative ) school. There are about 30 of them around the country.

Disclaimer. I am a professor at one of these schools.

You go through one of those programs which generally take 2-4 years, take the FAA required aptitude test (ATSAT) and then apply to the FAA. When accepted, you then go through the FAA ATC Academy in Oklahoma City for several months. You then go to your assigned ATC facility and are trained there for several years until you "check out" as a controller.

You're best option is probably to both enroll at a CTI school and apply to a PUBNAT if another one is released. If you get hired before you finish school, you save some money. If not, you have a back-up while your age clock is ticking.

As far as the process taking a long time, I have been in it for 2 years and still don't have a report date for OKC.

hestaman

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 pm

I've been interested in a carreer change for the past couple of years (I'm currently a software developer). My current job got my family through my wife's medical school years as well as residency. I've always had a passion for aviation and finally have the funds required to get my private pilot's license... I thought a carreer in ATC would fit really well with my aviation hobby as well as my educational background... but alas... I am older than 31 so it's all for naught... I really don't understand the mandatory retirement age/hiring age thing...

wagz

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Quoting hestaman (Reply 8):
I am older than 31 so it's all for naught... I really don't understand the mandatory retirement age/hiring age thing...

The age requirement is because mandatory retirement (barring a waver granted for working longer) is age 56. You must also put in at least 25 years of service to be eligible for retirement (whether you are 56 or not). 56 minus 25 = 31, thus the age limit.
I think Big Foot is blurry... It's not the photographer's fault. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside.

kellmark

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting NateSantiago88 (Reply 6):
Graduating from a CTI does not guarantee you a job either. I'm sure it helps immensely.

No, it doesn't. But your chances are much higher. A very high percentage of our graduates (over 90%) are accepted as long as they also do well on the ATSAT.

Also, when a new hire trainee goes through the academy a CTI graduate in general has a much better chance to do better there and at their facility than some one who has no background. Our graduates take a number of ATC courses before they go into the FAA.

In addition, our program has an internship program so that some of our graduates get to work in an FAA facility as well before they go to the academy. They learn the environment, the rules and the airspace. They also get to have observation time with controllers. It is very beneficial to them. In our locality, we have a major tower and tracon, an enroute center, smaller towers and a flight service station. We take advantage of all of those facilities.

Of course, can a very sharp person do well off the street? It happens. But CTI graduates can also be sharp and do well, plus they have a good grounding in the profession already.

Fly2HMO

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:38 am

http://www.stuckmic.com/

You'll find much more help there.

planetalkerman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):
Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):
http://www.stuckmic.com/

You'll find much more help there.

Thanks, I just joined today....lots of info there; however, thanks for all the answers I got here.

I am 27 years old...I guess a CTI program is not out of the questions...from the looks of it on StuckMic there isn't much anticipation of another off the street hiring anytime soon.

Thanks again.