bjorn14
Topic Author

Max Range/pax For 739ER

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:26 am

I have searched high and low for an exact answer to this question but have found conflicting answers. How many pax can I have on a 737-900ER? (i.e,, 125 pax for 5000nm) or a 737-700ER for that matter.

Thanks,

B.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

seabosdca

RE: Max Range/pax For 739ER

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:38 pm

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/pf/pf_900ERtech.html
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737family/737-700ER/tech.html

Boeing's website claims 3200 nm at 180 pax for the 739ER. Of course this is still air range and you will get different range for different configurations.

Viscount724

Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Payload-range charts for all 737 models are near the beginning of this Boeing document. Manufacturer range figures don't take winds or high temperatures/high elevation airports into account. You normally have to reduce the manufacturer range numbers by 10% to 15% to obtain real world figures.
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/737sec3.pdf

FlyingColours

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 pm

We used to have a maximum capacity of 215 passengers on our 737-900ER aircraft, I can't give you range info but I believe they did operate MAN-SSH a few times. We did have a number of teething troubles with them, we had quite a number of diversions due to in-flight "issues" including a serious engine overheat (sometimes reported by the press as a fire) to the point where Boeing came over and had a look at what we were doing wrong, The CAA didn't help much either as they turned around and insisted that we should have a dedicated pool of 739 only pilots, I'm not sure if they changed their mind in the end. We resolved our problems with the aircraft and went ahead to confirm our other 2 739s though we never got them in the end as we folded.

I can't tell you what they were like to work on either since the day I was supposed to fly on one for the first time we folded  

Both of our 73I's went to Lion Air and I believe they still have 215 and do some long runs.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

mandala499

Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:41 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 3):
Both of our 73I's went to Lion Air and I believe they still have 215 and do some long runs.

Your ones I believe are higher MTOW versions than the -9GPs of Lion (which, if their manuals are correct, is barely above the 739... Heck, I think anyone's 739ERs have higher MTOW)... so they're used on longer runs. When Lion took them, there was a bit of a stirr as the cabin config appears to have been identical (or only the front section was reconfigured) and the extra crash axe provided the cabin crew with an extra toy to photograph stupidly during the longer flights... which ended up on the net and those girls "had to go to the office for some talks and sanctioning".

We did have a number of teething troubles with them, we had quite a number of diversions due to in-flight "issues" including a serious engine overheat (sometimes reported by the press as a fire) to the point where Boeing came over and had a look at what we were doing wrong,

Strangely enough, the -9GPs seem to have a different problems...

The CAA didn't help much either as they turned around and insisted that we should have a dedicated pool of 739 only pilots, I'm not sure if they changed their mind in the end.

This would be strange for airlines operating other NG variants... mind you, Lion has had a few tailscrapes both on landings and take-offs, enough to justify your CAA's concerns...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

FlyingColours

Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 4):
This would be strange for airlines operating other NG variants... mind you, Lion has had a few tailscrapes both on landings and take-offs, enough to justify your CAA's concerns...

Yeah I think it was because we were the first operator of the -900 series in the UK and the CAA wanted to make sure there were no crew issues.

Your ones I believe are higher MTOW versions than the -9GPs of Lion (which, if their manuals are correct, is barely above the 739... Heck, I think anyone's 739ERs have higher MTOW)... so they're used on longer runs.

We requested they be capable of hot and heavy operations as well as some seriously short fields, I have got some Air Crew Notices from XL which had some of the specifics listed which I will list once my friend returns it at the weekend.

I've noticed that Lion operate 3 more -96Ns though after having a look at them they are former Futura birds, I was wondering where G-XLAS & G-XLAT ended up as there are no records of them any more as we never took delivery of them as unlike "our" A330 they were painted in their new operators livery prior to delivery.

Strangely enough, the -9GPs seem to have a different problems...

I think the main problem our -96Ns had was the different flights we would have them operate, they were doing really long sectors and then short 2 hour flights, plus they were always pretty much at maximum capacity.

and the extra crash axe provided the cabin crew with an extra toy to photograph stupidly during the longer flights...

It's amazing that people can be so dumb but they must have been really bored if they wanted to play with the axe  

Phil
FlyingColours

[Edited 2010-04-07 08:01:09]
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

redtailsforever

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:35 am

Is it me or when I was younger Hawaii/transcon was widebody or least 757. I recentley flew a CO 737-900ER from LAX to HNL. Ten years ago I would have laughed at such an equipment usage. Are the regional aircraft of yesteryear, really the long haul aircraft of the present economy?

cobra27

Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:46 pm

ncluding a serious engine overheat (sometimes reported by the press as a fire)

funny  

seabosdca

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Quoting redtailsforever (Reply 6):
s it me or when I was younger Hawaii/transcon was widebody or least 757. I recentley flew a CO 737-900ER from LAX to HNL. Ten years ago I would have laughed at such an equipment usage. Are the regional aircraft of yesteryear, really the long haul aircraft of the present economy?

The smaller aircraft have gotten a *lot* more capable with this generation. The A320 series and 737NG were the first aircraft their size to be able to do westbound transcons under normal conditions.

For a frequency-loving country, smaller aircraft are better. For yield-loving airlines, smaller aircraft are better. And now they can do more jobs.

FlyingColours

Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Quoting redtailsforever (Reply 6):
Are the regional aircraft of yesteryear, really the long haul aircraft of the present economy?

FlyGlobespan used to send 737-800 & some -700s on Trans-Atlantic flights, granted they stopped in Gander or Halifax but thats still a long flight for the 737. I think they probably have the distinction of being the first airline to send the 737 on passenger runs on that route.

Phil
FlyingColours

hush-kit

Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 9):
FlyGlobespan used to send 737-800 & some -700s on Trans-Atlantic flights

wasn´t it Globespan to operate A300 over the big pond a few years ago (into Sanford,FL) ???
Or was it Monarch ???
Thanks, Chris

FlyingColours

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Quoting hush-kit (Reply 10):
Or was it Monarch ???

That was Monarch (Incidentally my first ever flight was MAN-BGR-MCO on a Monarch AB6).

They were perfectly capable of heading east non stop but if the winds were high westbound they would end up in Bangor, still it was a very capable aircraft and considering the competition was using 757s on those runs they were miles ahead.

Globespan's predecessor Excalibour acquired some a DC-10 and used it on longhaul routes, it was constantly breaking and due to the DC-10 being so knacked the public lost faith in the airline and they folded, they were actually rather good on the shorthaul stuff, ironically just like Globespan.

Phil
FlyingColours

kimberlyRJ

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 11):
Globespan's predecessor Excalibour acquired some a DC-10 and used it on longhaul routes, it was constantly breaking and due to the DC-10 being so knacked the public lost faith in the airline and they folded, they were actually rather good on the shorthaul stuff, ironically just like Globespan.

I flew with Excalibur Airways 6 times (12 flights) and each was delayed by over an hour.

They rapidly grew the reputation that Dan Air had before them which was their services were always late, however their customer services was very good (much better then Britannia, JMC etc) however not seen as good as Monarch Airlines (which in the 90’s was seen as one of the best UK charter airlines).

One of the biggest blows the airline suffered was in late 1994 when a number of Excalibur Airways larger customers (tour operators) did not renew their contract for 1995 and 1996 due to major delays on many flights and the airlines lack of flexibility on their aircrafts seating capacity (nothing larger then a Airbus A320 at the time).

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 5):
Yeah I think it was because we were the first operator of the -900 series in the UK

And the last   which is a shame...

I wonder if the lack of success of the B737-900ER in the UK is connected to its range and/or payload restrictions?

Kimberly

Viscount724

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 9):
FlyGlobespan used to send 737-800 & some -700s on Trans-Atlantic flights, granted they stopped in Gander or Halifax but thats still a long flight for the 737. I think they probably have the distinction of being the first airline to send the 737 on passenger runs on that route.

When Icelandair operated a few 737-400s a decade or more ago they used it on their KEF-YHZ seasonal route for a while, which permitted you to fly from the rest of their European network to YHZ on a 737 with a connection at KEF.

FlyingColours

Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Quoting KimberlyRJ (Reply 12):
And the last which is a shame...

I wonder if the lack of success of the B737-900ER in the UK is connected to its range and/or payload restrictions?

I was supposed to operate on the 737-900ER the morning we officially folded (the 12th - though we knew late on the 11th), well I was supposed to take a 738 out to JSI and swap downroute for the 739. I was really looking forward to it too.

As for the lack of success I guess since it has the same passenger capacity as the A321 and all of the main charter airlines over here operate them or the A320 it makes sense to "keep it in the family". Likewise the 757 has a much better range and payload capabilities though the fuel burn in comparison is quite high, but again the majority of charters have the 757. I would honestly expect to see First Choice/Thomson get some 739ERs eventually as they have the 737-800 now.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 13):
When Icelandair operated a few 737-400s a decade or more ago they used it on their KEF-YHZ seasonal route for a while, which permitted you to fly from the rest of their European network to YHZ on a 737 with a connection at KEF.

They must have had favourable winds   Our little old 737-400 could barley manage ACE-BRS without a fuel stop, weather dependant of course. Mind you we did have them filled to capacity  

Phil
FlyingColours