PVGAMS
Topic Author

Kunming Air - Duct (edit: Speed) Tape Photo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:48 am

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-06/09/content_9951983.htm

Photos of above incident have created some concern in China. Is duct (edit: speed) taping planes a normal practice worldwide?

[Edited 2010-06-08 19:03:59]

RE: Kunming Air - Duct Tape Photo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:53 am

Quoting PVGAMS (Thread starter):
Photos of above incident have created some concern in China. Is duct taping planes a normal practice worldwide?

Perfectly acceptable repair on a non-structural aerodynamic fairing.

The CDL would more than likely allow dispatch with the fairing removed. However, if it was removed there would be a fuel burn penalty applied.

And yes it is done worldwide.

jetblast

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 am

Agreed, I see no problem with it. It's not duct tape, it's speed tape designed for the purpose. I can see how the normal flyer may be a bit disconcerted by it though.
Speedbird Concorde One

ATLFlyer323

Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:58 am

Is duct taping planes a normal practice worldwide?

ValuJet used to do it all the time! Bad example?  

Even though the repair is perfectly safe (as noted by the post above me), I would not feel safe as a passenger. Just my   

-Brandon
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

NASBWI

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:01 am

Is duct taping planes a normal practice worldwide?

I wouldn't call it "normal" (as in, you won't find it applied every day to a majority of aircraft), but it's not uncommon. Also, to be more specific, it's speed tape that was used - which is basically a reinforced variant of duct tape; basically, it's not your average household variety and won't be found in a grocery store.   

From Wikipedia (I know, not the best of sources): "Speed tape is an aluminized tape used to do minor repairs on airplanes. It looks similar to duct tape (silver grey) but its adhesive is capable of sticking on an airplane fuselage or wing at high speeds, hence the name."

I would suppose that it is only used as a quick fix for a minor problem until it can be properly repaired at a maintenance facility. As the picture suggests, the flap-track housing is what's taped, and would be considered a minor repair. To the average joe, it may look like a cause for concern, but neither the problem nor the remedy poses any real threat to the aircraft or its occupants. Cheers!
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

airtran737

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:03 am

Quoting ATLFlyer323 (Reply 3):
ValuJet used to do it all the time! Bad example?

Every airline uses speed tape, and to cite Valujet specifically is a bit immature. Furthermore, according to your profile you are 16-20 years old, which puts your birthday between 1990 and 1994, so you were between 3 and 7 years old when Valujet shutdown, I am sure at that age you were a well versed aviation expert, even more so than you are now

Even though the repair is perfectly safe (as noted by the post above me), I would not feel safe as a passenger. Just my

And then you further prove that the average person has no idea about aircraft safety, or maintenance. Are you that guy who sits in the gate and spouts off about airlines and their records? If so, then I truly hope you're not on my flight.

[Edited 2010-06-08 19:07:26]
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

RE: Kunming Air - Duct (edit: Speed) Tape Photo

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 am

Is duct (edit: speed) taping planes a normal practice worldwide?

A couple of examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Abbott

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria

legend11

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:34 am

We used to call it the 600 mph speed take back in the freight dawg days. Have seen it used in a multitude of situations, and always as a temp legal fix until the damage could be repaired at a maintenance base.

drexotica

Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 am

Funny - I knew a gal (Mary S, by way of the old internet listservers) that was involved with the maintenance of the SR-71s at NASA during the early 1990s (Crew Chief as I recall). She always joked that it was called "Mach 3 Tape". Pretty sticky stuff, even at speed...

[Edited 2010-06-08 20:24:49]

[Edited 2010-06-08 20:25:51]
N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

jetdoctor

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:13 am

All,

I highly doubt that speed tape is holding the fairing in place. Speed tape is often applied over an interface sealant between panels to allow the aircraft to be dispached immediately. The sealant can then cure without being splattered about due to airflow. The tape is generally inspected on a daily basis for integrity and then removed once the sealant has cured.
We do this all the time.

Regards,

Jetdoctor
Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.

HAWK21M

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Its called High Speed tape....An Aluminium tape....In this case is just covering the gap between the Fairing joint to provide a more aerodynamic surface as a temporary fix.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

tdscanuck

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:48 pm

s duct (edit: speed) taping planes a normal practice worldwide?

Yes. It's called out in virtually every SRM (Structural Repair Manual) as a temporary repair for a wide variety of minor damaged to provide aerodynamic and weather protection until a more permanent repair can be accomplished. It's only used when the issue is just airflow or weather exposure but the structural capability of the part is OK.

Quoting NASBWI (Reply 4):
Also, to be more specific, it's speed tape that was used - which is basically a reinforced variant of duct tape;

Other than colour, it really has no relationship to duct tape. Speed "tape" is really very thick aluminum foil (or very thin aluminum sheet) with a powerful adhesive. It's essentially a bonded sheet metal repair.

Quoting jetdoctor (Reply 9):
I highly doubt that speed tape is holding the fairing in place.

As far as I'm aware, there's no legal way to use speed tape to carry load, so it's not holding anything in place, and certainly not the entire fairing.

Tom.

jetmech

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:30 pm

I would not feel safe as a passenger

This'll knock your socks off!

View Large View Medium

Photo © William van Wanrooy

Quoting DrExotica (Reply 8):
Pretty sticky stuff, even at speed...

Sure is. More than sticky enough to peel off paint.

Regards, JetMech

[Edited 2010-06-09 09:34:38]
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

Viscount724

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Another example. Appears to be a CRJ-700 or -900. Not sure what airline.

C5202QMX

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 am

Quoting jetdoctor (Reply 9):
Speed tape is often applied over an interface sealant between panels to allow the aircraft to be dispached immediately. The sealant can then cure without being splattered about due to airflow. The tape is generally inspected on a daily basis for integrity and then removed once the sealant has cured.
We do this all the time.

What he said.

Its too keep sealant from running all over the place ater its applied. Its a VERY common practice. I probably do this at least once a week.