Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

josekmlb
Topic Author

MCO Rnav Sids

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Don't know if this should be in here but here is my question does anyone know why KMCO has RNAV SIDS published but are not in use? Its been that way for along time now the only SIDS they use is the JAG3, MCCOY9, and Orlando 8 for turbojets? the CITURS5 is for piston only is there a good reason behind this?

411A

RE: MCO Rnav Sids

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Generally speaking the non-use of RNAV Sids is because of problems encountered after the procedures were originally approved.
LAS had the first RNAV Sids and Stars (as I recall) and several were not used initially for the reason I outlined above.
More definitive information can be obtained if you telephone the TRACON directly...and ask.

PGNCS

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:01 pm

KMCO is far from the only airport with infrequently used departures and arrivals. They are still cluttering up my Jepps, though.

IAHFLYR

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Quoting 411A (Reply 1):
LAS had the first RNAV Sids and Stars

Actually IAH has FMS and later renamed RNAV SIDS when most operators couldn't even spell RNAV! They started out as Specials for COin the mid-late 90's and were later converted to public procedures. IIRC, CFOOD, PLAYA, and one other that slips my memory. They were used until the airspace began to be redesigned and the routes were modified.

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 2):
KMCO is far from the only airport with infrequently used departures and arrivals. They are still cluttering up my Jepps, though.

as well as taking huge amount of space in a database.

dispatchguy

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:41 am

09/290 (A1307/10) - AIRSPACE EPCOT TWO DEPARTURE (RNAV): FATHE TWO
DEPARTURE (RNAV): FSHUN TWO DEPARTURE (RNAV): GUASP TWO DEPARTURE
(RNAV): JEEMY TWO DEPARTURE (RNAV): LEWRD TWO DEPARTURE (RNAV):
PROCEDURES NA. WIE UNTIL UFN. CREATED: 17 SEP 19:22 2010

Plus, there is ANC, CVG, many places have RNAV departures that are NOTAMMED as unavailable.

mcoatc

Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:34 am

To be honest, I don't even have the exact reason. My understanding is that it has something to do with Jacksonville Center, and possibly Miami for that matter (as we underlie both).

We did run a couple of test cases at some point earlier last year, but obviously nothing has come out of it. I was told not to expect to see them any time soon and that a couple need to be re-designed.

If you really want to know, send me a message and I'll ask around the office.

Northwest727

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Quoting mcoatc (Reply 5):

I'm curious as to why they wouldn't just cancel the procedures outright. With the decommissioning of NDBs happening left and right, I've noticed for example, a few NDB-only approaches getting a GPS overlay, and then suddenly, after the NDB goes OTS, the whole entire procedure gets deleted in favor of the more standard "basic-T" layout.

Doesn't make sense to me why the FAA wouldn't just eliminate the whole RNAV SIDs if they have no intention of ever using it again (even if they say it needs to/will be redesigned-this is after all, the FAA, a branch of the US government).