Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Schedule Changes In PHX For Daylight Savings

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:31 am

How (if at all) do US and WN adjust the schedules of their PHX hubs when the rest of the country goes on daylight savings? Most of the differences related to "different" observances of daylight savings are on long-ish international flights, so it's not too difficult; carriers who are flying from a hub to South America or Europe just leave the hub arrival and departure alone and adjust the arrival and departure times overseas. It seems like it might be harder in PHX, where there are larger networks of relatively short flights; for half of the year, the 7:30 departure from DAL that gets in at 7:45 easily permits a passenger to get to a 9:00 meeting, while the 7:30 departure from DAL that gets in at 8:45 the other half of the year doesn't. Do US and WN adjust schedules when PHX falls an hour behind the rest of the country?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

enilria

RE: Schedule Changes In PHX For Daylight Savings

Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:44 am

Since nobody else replied and I have no real data, I am going to speculate. My guess is that only the times in PHX changes in nearly every case and the schedule outside remains constant. The exceptions would probably be if there is a 630 am originator in PHX that would have to move to 530am by season, they might instead move it to a late evening departure instead.

phxplanes

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:32 pm

I dont know about other airlines but I know at US all they do as adjust the flight schedule by one hour. So a flight that leaves at 8am will then leave at 7am the next day after the time change. All the shifts for the workers also get adjusted so so if your shift is 830 -1230 it would then be 730 - 1130.

KELPkid

Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 am

Gotta love a flight that gets in before it departed: ELP-PHX when the rest of the country is on Daylight Saving time  

P.S. Railroads used to handle the time change by parking trains in the station for an hour at the next stop after DST. One of the reasons that 2AM is the official DST changeover time in the USA is because the only trains running during the time change were overnight trains with sleeping accomidations, so very few passengers would know the difference (except when the conductor reminded them to change their watches). IIRC, for the changeover to Standard time, trains all departed an hour early on the day before the standard time changeover, and kept going at 2AM. Just a little trivia, told to me by my late grandfather, a train conductor...  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Viscount724

Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:57 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 3):
Gotta love a flight that gets in before it departed: ELP-PHX when the rest of the country is on Daylight Saving time

Russia has decided to stay on summer time all year starting this year so the clocks went forward an hour last weekend but won't be going back again at the end of October. That means that on a fairly short route like SVO-ARN (661 nm) where there's normally a 2 hour time difference and the flight takes about 2 hours, you now arrive about the same time as you leave, and in the other direction arrive 4 hours after you leave (local times). But starting in November the time difference during the winter will be 3 hours, so SVO-ARN flights will arrive about an hour before they leave, and in the other direction will arrive about 5 hours after they leave.

There are also examples of that on flights to/from China, which is almost equal in area to the US but only uses one time zone for the entire country..