Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dc18
Topic Author

Tcas Warnings, How Often Do They Occur?

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:03 pm

I know Europe, London, East cost of America has some of the busiest airspace in the world,

When i look on flight-aware (which I do quite often being a plane freak lol) it just looks stupidly busy and congested with little free space in the air, and so my question is, how often whilst flying in these regions do you commercial pilots get TCAS warnings, where you HAVE to follow to avoid collisions with other aircraft.... or "conflict"

It probably seems like a daft question too ask, I'm just trying to broaden my knowledge before I set of on my own aviation adventure.

Any insight would be great, thanks guys!  

DC18

lowrider

Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:31 pm

In 11 years of airline flying, I probably have had a few dozen TA's, but only 2 RA's
Proud OOTSK member

tdscanuck

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:35 pm

Quoting DC18 (Thread starter):
how often whilst flying in these regions do you commercial pilots get TCAS warnings, where you HAVE to follow to avoid collisions with other aircraft.... or "conflict"

I'll echo lowrider...we get TA's all the time (it's almost inevitble in certain areas due to overlapping airspace) but I've yet to get a genuine RA. We sometimes induce them on purpose, but that's a different situation.

Tom.

transaeroyyz

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 am

Spoke to an AC pilot (10+yrs) said only 3 incidents but all in the New York area.

kingairta

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:33 am

In the area around KNFW we get an RA about once a week. Idiots going into KFTW flying through NFWs air space.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:41 pm

TAs: at least a couple times a trip, typically.

RAs: It's been several years... they aren't all that common.
Chicks dig winglets.

HAWK21M

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 2):
We sometimes induce them on purpose, but that's a different situation.

Pls Elaborate on the situation & reasoning.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

tdscanuck

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:43 am

I'll echo lowrider...we get TA's all the time (it's almost inevitble in certain areas due to overlapping airspace) but I've yet to get a genuine RA.

I had to go and say it. 3 years with no RA, I mention it on a.net, and *wham*...an RA 4 days later.

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):
We sometimes induce them on purpose, but that's a different situation.

Pls Elaborate on the situation & reasoning.

TCAS testing and certification. You have to show that all the warnings work. You do this with a test-only ground set that can fake various transponder and TCAS signals (and lots of ATC precoordiantion), rather than actually inducing a true traffic conflict.

Tom.

YokoTsuno

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 7):
TCAS testing and certification. You have to show that all the warnings work. You do this with a test-only ground set that can fake various transponder and TCAS signals (and lots of ATC precoordiantion), rather than actually inducing a true traffic conflict.

Wouldn't you do such things only "off-duty" rather than during normal passenger flights or do I misunderstand you?

tdscanuck

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 am

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 8):
Wouldn't you do such things only "off-duty" rather than during normal passenger flights or do I misunderstand you?

I'm pretty sure you'd lose your license for doing such a thing during a normal passenger flight...if you don't, you probably should. I'm not even sure there's any reason for an airline to ever do this, the normal TCAS BITE checks should take care of the line operation aspect.

The only reason I know of to do intentional TCAS TA's/RA's is OEM testing during initial development and certification.

Tom.

Alias1024

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:46 pm

As others have said Traffic Advisories are fairly common while Resolution Advisories are pretty rare. There are a few places where you are more likely to get an Resolution Advisory though. For example, they are fairly common on a clear day at SFO when simultaneous visual approaches are being used. The 28L traffic is straight in while the 28R traffic is converging off of the quiet bridge approach. I've had several RAs from this. At our airline we can ignore the RA in that kind of scenario as long as we have the other aircraft in sight.

DEN is another place where I've seen this happen more than once. ATC usually has the aircraft for each runway intercept final at different altitudes, but if cleared for the visual approach, it isn't uncommon that the higher aircraft will start to descend while still on the intercept heading, converging toward traffic on the parallel approach and triggering an RA. Again, not a big deal if we have the other aircraft in sight.

Real RAs where someone screwed up and aircraft are going to hit are extremely rare.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

lipzoan

RE: Tcas Warnings, How Often Do They Occur?

Fri May 06, 2011 2:23 pm

TCAS operational test could be accomplished with a non-radiating tool coupled to aircraft antennas,but we usually prefer to directly radiate the whole antenna systems for testing purposes..ofcourse this mean a precise and severe procedure ,coordinated with ATC..they assign us a specific trasponder code and an appropriate altitude slot,being well out from airways..time is also limited,due the need for ATC to monitoring surrounding area ,(even the real airplane it's stable on ground,airdata system are kept to operative range..test bench will simulate an intruding aircraft approching enough to generate a bi-lateral RA..so the reason to be sure having NO airplanes in range when doing radiating test)