Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

united319
Topic Author

New Style Door Frames

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Can somebody explain why airlines are re-doing the paint outline on the bottom of door frames? I know this is a random question but it's been puzzling me. Please see the pictures below for examples of what I am talking about.

This:

vs. This:

OR...

This:

vs. This:
It's Time To Fly

codc10

RE: New Style Door Frames

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:50 pm

FARs require a contrasting paint line around the visible part of any passenger exit door. The bottom 3" or so of the doors you illustrate are actually flaps that fold inward to allow the plug-type doors to slide out of the frame to open. When the door returns to the frame during the closing procedure, the flap folds back out so that the door is physically larger than the opening in the fuselage, preventing it from opening under any circumstances while the cabin is pressurized.

united319
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 1):
FARs require a contrasting paint line around the visible part of any passenger exit door. The bottom 3" or so of the doors you illustrate are actually flaps that fold inward to allow the plug-type doors to slide out of the frame to open. When the door returns to the frame during the closing procedure, the flap folds back out so that the door is physically larger than the opening in the fuselage, preventing it from opening under any circumstances while the cabin is pressurized.

I thought so. What about on Airbuses though? My airline has them on their Airbus but A319/A320/A321 doors do not have plugs or flaps.
It's Time To Fly

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Do you mean the stainless steel sill plate at the bottom of the door. It is there to prevent damage to the door threshold when people enter and exit!

united319
Topic Author

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:26 pm

No I know what that is for, I drive jetbridges every day. I meant the outline of the door itself. The paint used to encompass the whole door rim, now it cuts off before the bottom of the door. I know Boeing Planes have the little plugs at the bottom but Airbus do not.
It's Time To Fly

Viscount724

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 3):
Do you mean the stainless steel sill plate at the bottom of the door. It is there to prevent damage to the door threshold when people enter and exit!

I've always assumed that isn't painted as it would quickly get chipped and scratched from boarding/deplaning passengers' shoes.

WNCrew

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:40 pm

Quoting united319 (Reply 4):
I meant the outline of the door itself. The paint used to encompass the whole door rim, now it cuts off before the bottom of the door.

This is PURELY a guess, but I'd say it's just something the painters did. Not a big deal, they know the regulations, but maybe whomever was painting said aircraft just decided to go above the flap vs below it like in some of your photos. At any rate they are still achieving compliance with the FAR. I too have seen it both ways.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

alasizon

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:41 pm

Quoting united319 (Reply 4):
The paint used to encompass the whole door rim, now it cuts off before the bottom of the door.

My guess might be that it shows the realistic outline of the inside of the door in terms of available space to walk in. Why on the other hand...
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

yeelep

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Quoting united319 (Thread starter):
Can somebody explain why airlines are re-doing the paint outline on the bottom of door frames?

Boeing has been delivering planes that way for a few years. I don't know why they are doing it, but I imagine there must be a reason.

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 6):
This is PURELY a guess, but I'd say it's just something the painters did.

Painters use detail drawings, they are not doing this randomly.

My best guess is the color of the outline paint does not contrast enough with the sill plate.

WNCrew

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:51 pm

Quoting yeelep (Reply 8):
Painters use detail drawings, they are not doing this randomly.

Good to know! Learn something everyday...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 6):
Not a big deal, they know the regulations, but maybe whomever was painting said aircraft just decided to go above the flap vs below it like in some of your photos.

Painters
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

TZTriStar500

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 am

Quoting yeelep (Reply 8):
My best guess is the color of the outline paint does not contrast enough with the sill plate.

This is exactly the reason why. I found this guidance in AC 25-17A that explains this alternate compliance with 14 CFR 25.811 for exit band markings.

The FAA has been asked if compliance with §§ 25.811(f)(1) and (2) can be
found with the lower section of a two-inch colored band located a few-inches above the base of
an exit. Metal door sills are often installed on the fuselage below floor-level exits to provide
protection from impacts with loading equipment. If the band is located on the bottom edge of an
exit, its color must be compared with the door sill color to determine compliance with
§ 25.811(f)(2). This requirement can result in a color scheme which is not desired by the
operator. Note that painting the door sill is not considered a viable option since impacts with
loading equipment cause the paint to scratch and wear away quickly. If the band is located a
few-inches above the base of the exit, its color is compared with the door color below the band
instead of the metal door sill. This results in more color options for operators to choose from in
determining a desired color scheme.
35 years of American Trans Air/ATA Airlines, 1973-2008. A great little airline that will not be soon forgotten.