Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AlnessW
Topic Author

Checked Baggage Tagging - Top Vs. Side Handles

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:39 am

Just a quick question - Why do some airlines like to tag the top handles of checked bags while others tag the side handles? For example, some airlines like UA, DL, and AS tag the top ones while others such as AA, BA, and WN tag the side ones.

I'm sure this is simply an airline/baggage handler preference, but why would one be favorable over the other? (If at all?)
Thanks in advance!  

Maverick623

RE: Checked Baggage Tagging - Top Vs. Side Handles

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 am

I'm not sure where you get the impression that certain airlines tag bags a certain way, especially since bags come in all shapes, sizes, and many times with handles missing. I see bags tagged on different handles all the time from all different airlines.

As far as my personal preference, at least on your standard rectangular roller, tag on the "top" handle. It makes it way easier to read and scan the tags, because the easiest (and most efficient) stack is the "front" side down with the handle facing out.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:37 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 1):
I'm not sure where you get the impression that certain airlines tag bags a certain way, especially since bags come in all shapes, sizes, and many times with handles missing.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't specific there. I was referring to your average suitcase with multiple handles.

As far as my personal preference, at least on your standard rectangular roller, tag on the "top" handle. It makes it way easier to read and scan the tags, because the easiest (and most efficient) stack is the "front" side down with the handle facing out.

That would be my first impression, which is why I wonder why side handles are still tagged when top handles are available.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:52 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Thread starter):
For example, some airlines like UA, DL, and AS tag the top ones while others such as AA, BA, and WN tag the side ones.

Um...don't know about that. At DL, they're tagged both ways. It depends on who does the tagging. Personally, most rampers will tell you they prefer the top to be tagged. When bags are put into carts, they are usually layed on their side with the "top" (where the pull handle is) facing out. It's a pain in the butt when you have bags tagged on the side and your trying to scan a cart. Now you have to dig in and pull the bag out to get to the tag.
What gets measured gets done.

Maverick623

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:07 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 2):
which is why I wonder why side handles are still tagged when top handles are available.

It's the preference of whoever tags the bag, and how the bag is presented to be tagged. Sometimes they're laid down on their side, sometimes they're standing up, etc...

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 2):

Yes, sorry, I wasn't specific there. I was referring to your average suitcase with multiple handles.

I can understand that, I was questioning why you associated certain airlines with certain procedures.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 2:56 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 4):
I can understand that, I was questioning why you associated certain airlines with certain procedures.

The airlines I mentioned in my original post where the particular airlines that "appear" to have a preference. For example, one time when checking bags on BA I put my bag on the scale standing up, then the agent asked if it had a handle on the side (which it did). Or, when checking in on UA I presented my bag on its side, then the agent tipped it upright to tag the top.

planesailing

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 3):
Personally, most rampers will tell you they prefer the top to be tagged. When bags are put into carts, they are usually layed on their side with the "top" (where the pull handle is) facing out. It's a pain in the butt when you have bags tagged on the side and your trying to scan a cart. Now you have to dig in and pull the bag out to get to the tag.

Sorry, as a check in agent, the side handle is preferable! The bag is stable on the belt lying on it's side and when dispatched, it won't jam up the belt system by having the wheels bridging the gap between belts. It is much easier to tag as well.

RJLover

Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:59 pm

When I was a CSA (a couple of years ago), I would try to tag the bag on the "top" handle, then tip the bag over so it was laying on its side (any side, just so long as it wasn't standing on the wheels).

My preference of tagging the "top" handle came from my experience as a Baggage Handler... it was always a pain trying to find specific bags when they were tagged on the "side" handle!

jgw787

Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 5):
The airlines I mentioned in my original post where the particular airlines that "appear" to have a preference. For example, one time when checking bags on BA I put my bag on the scale standing up, then the agent asked if it had a handle on the side (which it did). Or, when checking in on UA I presented my bag on its side, then the agent tipped it upright to tag the top.

This could be because of the belt. Some check in desks have you pace your luggage on the belt which means that it is easier to put the tag on the side.

Zkpilot

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:09 am

There is no specific correct or preferred way, it is just up to the individual agent.

Now in terms of losing your bag etc the side handle on a large bag is probably the more likely to break if the bag is heavy... also some of the machines out the back can wack things pretty hard. I personally recommend having the little airline tags on both handles and having the baggage tag on top where possible. Also agents are supposed to take one of the little (4x1cm) tags off the main tag and stick it on your bag...many don't however so its worth checking or even just quickly doing yourself... they are just minitags of the main tag that can be scanned.
Also remove old tags and old mini tags.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

runner13

Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:18 am

When I was working the ticket counter I never paid any attention to how I did it. I just put the tag on whatever was convenient. As a ramper it never really mattered to me. There is no SOP at least for the airline I worked with on how to apply a bag tag. But everytime I had an overweight cheap bag going to India, the Caribbean, South America, or Ethiopa, I always just used clear tape and and attached it to the bag itself. Every ramper knows you grab one of the handles on those cheap ass bags that are overweight and what happens, yep that handle is gone along with the tag,