Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

contrails15
Topic Author

Gate Checks Out Of Control.

Tue May 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Gate checks have been a problem for us for a few years now and my carrier still has first checked bag free. I work the ground and today did a SDQ flight from JFK with 195 checked bags and 62 gate check BAGS. Put 11 strollers on top of that. Anyone else dealing with the same problems. This is pretty much a vent thread. LOL
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aklrno

RE: Gate Checks Out Of Control.

Tue May 10, 2011 10:48 pm

What was the aircraft type? I have seen cases where the pax thought the bag would fit, and then found themselves outside a BA-146 (or whatever they are called these days) or an RJ where the overheads can barely fit a briefcase. Gate check chaos ensues.

The other times I frequently see it the destination airport has a notoriously slow (or theft prone) baggage claim and no one wants to check anything.

If the airlines really want to solve this problem they will get a couple of extra baggage handlers so the just unloaded bags can be sent to bag claim immediately instead of waiting for the 2 person ground crew to load the outbound flight first. This is very common at smaller airports like (unfortunately for me) RNO.

canoecarrier

Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 1):
If the airlines really want to solve this problem they will get a couple of extra baggage handlers so the just unloaded bags can be sent to bag claim immediately instead of waiting for the 2 person ground crew to load the outbound flight first.

Does STL's Terminal 2 that WN uses still have baggage sizers on the x-ray machines? I always thought it was a good idea that way you at least cut down on oversized carry-on bags.

If it makes you feel better, I worked a flight once that was half full with a bunch of college kids that just got done with a "semester at sea". They left all their backpacks, trinkets, funky triangle hats, etc they'd collected in Thailand/Vietnam/etc. around the corner so they wouldn't have to pay for them and all showed up at the gate with 3-4 carry on's a piece. I still have nightmares about that flight. We even ran out of gate check tags.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

contrails15
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Its an A320 and I can tell you getting more man power is not gonna happen. Theft isn't the problem either. People are catching on that they can get away with it. People especially those going to places such as DR know the deal and don't care if they have to gate check there bag. The problem that I have is that they cram 50 plus pounds in there carry on with no intention of bringing into the plane because they know it will be taking down into the plane and it'll be waiting for them. We tried a fee for the excess heavy carry on but there really is no good way of implementing this and it isn't fair to those that don't abuse the whole gate checking procedure.

alasizon

Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 am

While they aren't "gate checks", the Ala Carte program at QX has steadily been growing. I was on a flight recently out of PDX (I think it was to BOI) and the flight was full which was pretty much normal. The entire ala carte cart was filled (top and bottom) and there were about twenty-five extra bags after that. The part that I was confused about was that I was about one out of ten people who actually brought their carry-on onboard. In my opinion I believe people are just intentionally bringing bags that are too big for the overhead bins and gate checking them in order to avoid the fees for checked baggage. I just don't see the attraction in that.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

bond007

Wed May 11, 2011 2:48 am

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 3):
People are catching on that they can get away with it.
Quoting contrails15 (Reply 3):
We tried a fee for the excess heavy carry on but there really is no good way of implementing this and it isn't fair to those that don't abuse the whole gate checking procedure.
Quoting Alasizon (Reply 4):
In my opinion I believe people are just intentionally bringing bags that are too big for the overhead bins and gate checking them in order to avoid the fees for checked baggage.

Yep, and the problem is mainly caused by the airlines not enforcing their own carry-on policies. If the pax has more than the carry-on allowance, then they should be charged for the checked-bag rate (if any), and the bags sent to the carousel at the destination (preferably last).... otherwise they'll keep doing it!!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

canoecarrier

Wed May 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 4):
The part that I was confused about was that I was about one out of ten people who actually brought their carry-on onboard.

The overheads in a Q400 aren't the same size as an Airbus/Boeing. The vast majority of people's carry on bags simply won't fit in a Q400 overhead. AS had the same problem with the 732 combi.

seabosdca

Wed May 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Drop the bag fee, implement a strictly enforced oversize carry-on fee, and watch things improve just like that.

Quoting aklrno (Reply 1):
The other times I frequently see it the destination airport has a notoriously slow (or theft prone) baggage claim and no one wants to check anything.

This is *definitely* an issue in some places (PHL and LHR come immediately to mind). Waiting 15-20 minutes for my bag is usually no big deal, but when it's most likely going to be an hour or more, carrying on whatever you can starts to seem more appealing.

contrails15
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 5):
Yep, and the problem is mainly caused by the airlines not enforcing their own carry-on policies. If the pax has more than the carry-on allowance, then they should be charged for the checked-bag rate (if any), and the bags sent to the carousel at the destination (preferably last).... otherwise they'll keep doing it!!

Exactly right. I wrote about this once before on here but it was in the civil aviation forum and got destroyed about it. Like i'm the one that made up this policy but here it is for my airline as of right now.

The only things that will be brought up to the jetbridge will be strollers, wheelchairs, canes and any other assisted devices. Crew bags from either our airline or another are the only bags that will be brought up. Any other bags (pax bags) will be received at the carousel and if there transferring to another flight then will be met at the carousel at their final destination. Pink tags for anything going up and we have blue and white for the other gate checks.

Is this followed? Hell no Not at least 100%. Every station either doesn't adhere to it or don't care. So when i have a pink tagged bag that's not a crew bag and I don't bring it up, I get the pilot coming down asking why, then I explain to which 9 times out of 10 they tell me that no other airline does that and it makes no sense. Couple times I was told I was being lazy. Yeah, I work with some real winners. Anyway, you get the point. Company should make sure everyone is on the same page but its nowhere near there.

spchamp1

Tue May 24, 2011 7:16 am

Contrails, I just recently had an IAD flight with 162 checked bags and 32 gate checks, most of which were strollers and car seats mixed with a few larger bags that even with sufficient overhead space had no business being gate checked. As for adhering to rules, I agree with you that the only pink tagged bags should be assistive devices, but until our company starts enforcing this, we will just have to deal with it.

In the meantime, I would actually wish our BP ground crews and occasional east coast ground crews not evenly distribute 30-40 bags among Bins 1-1,1-2,1-3 or Bins 3-2,3-1 when they can easily be stacked in 1-2, or 3-2. Running our gate checks to the customer simply means walking under the a/c and placing them next to the turboway.

futureualpilot

Tue May 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 6):
The overheads in a Q400 aren't the same size as an Airbus/Boeing. The vast majority of people's carry on bags simply won't fit in a Q400 overhead.

Our NG Q's have the same sized overheads as NG 737's.
Life is better when you surf.

SPREE34

Tue May 24, 2011 4:55 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 7):
Drop the bag fee, implement a strictly enforced oversize carry-on fee, and watch things improve just like that.

The answer.

Makes too much sense.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

citationjet

Tue May 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 5):
Yep, and the problem is mainly caused by the airlines not enforcing their own carry-on policies.
Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 11):
Quoting seabosdca (Reply 7):
Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 11):
The answer.

Makes too much sense.

I agree. The airlines started this issue by charging baggage fees. They can solve the problem if they wanted to by either eliminating the checked baggage fees or enforcing their own carry-on policy. The issue is they have gotten to like the additional revenue from baggage fees. The airlines can solve the problem if they wanted to.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

rgr8apples

Tue May 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Quoting contrails15 (Thread starter):
195 checked bags and 62 gate check BAGS

You've got to be stretching the truth a bit. Considering that the aircraft was full, what you are saying means that every single person checked at least one bag and nearly 1/3 or 45 people checked 2 bags???

I am guessing that we work the same position for the same airline. When you say gate checks, I guess you mean bags that make it to the gate but that are checked through to the carousel at the destination. You and I both know that the inflight would allow nothing else.

Also, no doubt you have read the company line that came out today about carry on bags and gate checks... sometime prior to writing this.

I agree with you as far as people trying to cheat the carry-on size limit. In my humble opinion, I'd say people are doing this strictly for convenience sake. Hey, I understand... I like to travel without checking luggage, BUT I pack light. My bag will fit into both the 190's and 320's bins with no problem. If you want to take half of your wardrobe with you the you've got to pay the price to check your stuff.

canoecarrier

Tue May 24, 2011 9:22 pm

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 10):
Our NG Q's have the same sized overheads as NG 737's.

"Due to the smaller dimensions of overhead storage and underseat space on aircraft operated by Horizon Air or SkyWest (Alaska Airlines Airlines flights 2000-2999 and flights 3450-3499), larger carry-on items will be placed on a planeside cart before boarding."

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...info/policies/baggage-carryon.aspx

AS it would appear do not.

jgw787

Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 am

I think airlines should have 2 types of fares. One with a bag included and and one where the bag is not included like NZ, and if they bring a carryon that is over the limit then they get charged a bag fee.

WNCrew

Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 am

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 12):
I agree. The airlines started this issue by charging baggage fees. They can solve the problem if they wanted to by either eliminating the checked baggage fees or enforcing their own carry-on policy. The issue is they have gotten to like the additional revenue from baggage fees. The airlines can solve the problem if they wanted to.

WN doesn't charge for bags and we have always had a carryon problem...even before bag fees. This just has to do with people bringing too much and the airlines not enforcing their own policies consistently bc they don't want to fight with the "I did it last time"-ers
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bjorn14

Wed May 25, 2011 10:34 am

I confess that I did this once traveling MKE-EWR-OSL. CO wanted to charge me $150 for this extra box I had. I knew it wouldn't fit in the overhead of a E145 so they gate checked it and I saved $150. I would have paid the extra $50 my second bag cost because that's what it would have cost to mail it but not the gouge of $150.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

bond007

Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 16):
WN doesn't charge for bags and we have always had a carryon problem...even before bag fees. This just has to do with people bringing too much and the airlines not enforcing their own policies consistently

Yes, bag fees might have exaggerated the problem, but the issue is simply the non-enforcement of the policies. If the passengers knew they could not get away with it, and end up having the last bag on the carousel, they most likely wouldn't do it again.

IMO, the fees should be higher for passengers that don't read the airline's policies.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

canoecarrier

Wed May 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 18):
Yes, bag fees might have exaggerated the problem, but the issue is simply the non-enforcement of the policies. If the passengers knew they could not get away with it, and end up having the last bag on the carousel, they most likely wouldn't do it again.

The problem as I see it is you place the enforcement of bag rules on your CSAs at the counter. This wasn't that big of a deal until they became the punching bag for passengers upset at new bag fees. It was much easier to tell someone they had to check their bag when it was free to do that.

I mentioned STL as an example, they used to have a metal sizer in front of the x-ray machines in the East Terminal that WN used, if your bag was too big they didn't let you through with it. Of course that could be punting the enforcement to the TSA, but that could be easily handled by having an airline representative nearby.

jetblast

Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 am

We fly a 767 and regularly gate check items that are grossly oversized. My solution is to go to the gate early, do a sweep of the gate area, and weed the bags out before hand.

We have bag sizers at the ticket counter and when a passenger places their item in the bin and it fits, we put a sticker on it stating as such. If I get an oversized bag at the gate without the sticker, I charge them for it. Simple as that.
Speedbird Concorde One

cotparampguy

Thu May 26, 2011 1:29 am

And I thought FLL-SDQ was bad. We can get 200 bags but nowhere near that amount of gate checks. I'm not sure what we do differently down here gate check wise.

usairways787

Thu May 26, 2011 2:23 am

Contrails, I feel the pain. We typically have 70+ checked bags then on average 20+ gate (depending on where the flight is going, add in strollers occasional company materials ect can become a real pain in the a**, especially aircraft tires and brake calipers) I do agree with the statements above people slowly but surely figured out a way around the system as always. I can't believe tsa allows some of the bags I see actually come through. I have seen anything from duffle bags, to sport equipment bags. Not to mention the dreadfully heavy carry ons, that they themselves can't even lift. I've even asked a few people " what were you thinking when you tried to get this on?" Somebody has to draw the line somewhere.

US787

bond007

Thu May 26, 2011 3:02 am

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 19):
The problem as I see it is you place the enforcement of bag rules on your CSAs at the counter. This wasn't that big of a deal until they became the punching bag for passengers upset at new bag fees. It was much easier to tell someone they had to check their bag when it was free to do that.

Well, yes I'm placing the enforcment of the bag rules on the airline - it's the airline's rules and their policy. It's also the airlines decision to charge bag fees. If you're gate checking bags because they are too big (or too many), there is plenty of extra work for the F/As and rampers anyway. If the airline is charging bag fees and has carry-on policies, it had better be prepared to charge the fees and enforce the policies.

Jimbo

genybustrvlr

Thu May 26, 2011 4:06 am

Here's the deal...

Bag can take an hour or more to show up at baggage claim. I have no idea what you guys do back there... This is not acceptable service so passengers like me bring everything on the plane, even if there's a chance it may not fit. If airlines could get their act together and deliver bags to baggage claim promptly, I'd be glad to pay for my bag to fly down below. However, I'm not going to pay $20+ to have an hour of my time wasted.

jetblast

Thu May 26, 2011 4:12 am

Quoting genybustrvlr (Reply 24):
Bag can take an hour or more to show up at baggage claim. I have no idea what you guys do back there... This is not acceptable service so passengers like me bring everything on the plane, even if there's a chance it may not fit. If airlines could get their act together and deliver bags to baggage claim promptly, I'd be glad to pay for my bag to fly down below. However, I'm not going to pay $20+ to have an hour of my time wasted.

Have you ever considered that it's the speed the baggage belt is running, not necessarily the baggage handlers? We had an exceptionally slow baggage system here until someone upped the speed on the belt, bags drop in a few minutes now...no need to be condescending toward everyone.
Speedbird Concorde One

aklrno

Thu May 26, 2011 7:21 am

Quoting jetblast (Reply 25):

Have you ever considered that it's the speed the baggage belt is running, not necessarily the baggage handlers? We had an exceptionally slow baggage system here until someone upped the speed on the belt, bags drop in a few minutes now...no need to be condescending toward everyone.

Its usually not the baggage belt. At most airports it is the simple fact that the bags are unloaded and then sit there while more bags are loaded on to get the aircraft moving again. The bags are delivered to the belt later. I have waited 40 minutes for a bag on a 40 minute flight. That is ridiculous. I arrived in PHX two weeks ago with a carry-on. I met some relatives at the airport arriving from LAX. We spent 30 minutes in bag claim after a 10 minute walk from the gate. The belt wasn't that slow!

At the end of the day when the aircraft is going to RON, the bags appear magically about when I get to baggage claim. I guess someone just wants to go home. I have gold status on star alliance so I don't pay for bags. I still carry it all with me. When the airlines either get moving or start serving free meals in baggage claim I'll check my stuff.

spchamp1

Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 pm

As a Ground Operations crew member for an airline, let me start dispelling some of the rumors you guys have about why it takes so long on occasion to get your checked luggage. It is not that we despise our jobs and simply don't care about the customer. You customers are the reason I have a job that I love.

1) it depends on the airport. If you fly into LGB the baggge carousels are literally no further than a couple hundred yards away from the aircraft in the gate, meaning bags once offloaded are at the carousel in moments. Now let's say you fly into LAS, depending on your carrier the carousels may literally be about 3/4 mile or more away from the gate, then add in the fact that you are traveling on roads in and out of alleys where aircraft come and go. It can easily be about 20 minutes from the time the bags leave the pad till they get to the carousel. Now add that into the fact that a heavy offload of bags can take 20 minutes to get off the plane, you're already sitting at 40 minutes and guess what your bag may have been the last one on the plane which means its the last one on the carousel.

2) we do not load bags onto the aircraft before we bring the offload to the carousel. I am pretty sure about 90+% of airlines do not do this. If you have seen this happen it is because there is another crew member or two that are responsible for taking bags to the carousel leaving the crew that brought the aircraft in to stay on the pad and start the upload. Now if aircraft are running behind or early then that may mean your offloaded bags sit on the pad for a few minutes until the "bag runners" are able to get to them.

3) how the bags are stacked/loaded. Depending on the size ofnthe aircraft your bags may either be stacked individually, one by one, or inside a baggage container en masse. Either way can create difficulty in offloading your bags. An A320 with bags 100 bags will typically be offloaded quicker than an E190 with 100 bags due to bin size. An E190 bin is smaller, narrower and longer which typically means the your baggage handler may need assistance inside the bin getting the bags from the back of the bin to the doorway then onto the belt. This typically means taking a crew member off the ground stacking the bags in a cart and putting them in the bin. I do not work with aircraft that utilize containers so I will leave that to other rampers with experience, but I cannot imagine it to be really any quicker when it comes to offloading the bags.

As for RON's let's keep in mind that if you are arriving on one of those flights there probably isn't as much traffic on the ramp as there would be at say 1700-1900, so in theory your bags could arrive quicker, but before you go and make bogus claims about us not doing our job or not caring about our jobs, just remember that other factors play a part in how long it takes your bags to get there.

I guess we'll save the notion that we purposely damage customers bags for another topic.

bond007

Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting usairways787 (Reply 22):
I can't believe tsa allows some of the bags I see actually come through
Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 19):
Of course that could be punting the enforcement to the TSA, but that could be easily handled by having an airline representative nearby.

Yes, just to be clear who is responsible for enforcing this (not the TSA!), it's clearly written in the regulations, FAR 121.589:

"No certificate holder may allow the boarding of carry-on baggage on an airplane unless each passenger's baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program in its operations specifications. In addition, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the carry-on baggage program in the certificate holder's operations specifications."

Jimbo

Maverick623

Fri May 27, 2011 6:15 am

I work the ground and today did a SDQ flight from JFK with 195 checked bags and 62 gate check BAGS

62 gate checks?

That's the flight attendants being lazy. There's no reason for that.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

WNCrew

Fri May 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 29):

That's not really fair is it? Conversely I could argue that the pax are lazy for not making an effort tot ensure the OHB space is utilized effectively before plopping down in their seats... I try my hardest to make bags fit but we don't have this unlimited amount of time to play tetras with everyones' giant carryons.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

jetblast

Fri May 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 29):

WNCrew, correct me if I am wrong, but is it a required part of the job to lift bags? I have heard of several crew who have injured themselves wrestling with oversized rollaboards in the overhead bins and weren't able to get any help from the company because it's not their responsibility to deal with putting bags up...maybe someone can offer insight.
Speedbird Concorde One

Maverick623

Fri May 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 30):

That's not really fair is it? Conversely I could argue that the pax are lazy for not making an effort tot ensure the OHB space is utilized effectively before plopping down in their seats

Don't take it personally; I seriously doubt you've ever worked a flight with more than 40 gate checks (including strollers). And I'm not saying it's your job to play Tetris, but more often than not the F/As make the call to stop accepting carry-ons.

I see stuff like this too, being a ramp rat. I once worked a PHX-YYZ flight booked to 100 out of 124, 92 checked bags plus 15 gate checks. I personally went onto the aircraft and saw flight attendants closing up bins with space in them.

Switch to a RNO flight: due to weather we had over 180 checked bags on a 150-seat plane. Obviously, the flight was well oversold due to cancellations and weight restricted because of winds: we took two gate checks; both strollers. Had we taken any more bags, passengers would have been taken off the plane.

WNCrew

Sat May 28, 2011 3:28 am

Quoting jetblast (Reply 31):
WNCrew, correct me if I am wrong, but is it a required part of the job to lift bags? I have heard of several crew who have injured themselves wrestling with oversized rollaboards in the overhead bins and weren't able to get any help from the company because it's not their responsibility to deal with putting bags up...maybe someone can offer insight.

You are correct that some airlines will NOT cover the FA's if they receive injury as a result of assisting with carryons. The idea being that if you can't "carry" it on... it shouldn't be in the cabin. I always help people who are too short, or elderly, but no matter who you are, if it's heavy then I check it. Often times wheelchair pax will pack a roller bag weighing 25+lb and then just expect us to deal with it. If you can't sling it, don't bring it. We have hard-working rammers down below for "baggage", if you want to carry something on, be able to do so, PERIOD.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 32):
Don't take it personally; I seriously doubt you've ever worked a flight with more than 40 gate checks (including strollers).

I've checked 30, that's about my max.... but that was on a -500 on a business route on a Tuesday at rush-hr. ALl the business travelers had a rollerbag, AND a "personal item" which is really an overstuffed rollin computer bag that is almost the same size as the roller and doesn't fit under the aisle or window seat. We were :30 late as well due to the bag checking, pax wanting to argue about it, having to drag bags up form the AFT cabin etc etc. I shouldn't be dripping with sweat during boarding... the time we're not even getting paid.

Maverick623

Sat May 28, 2011 4:52 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 33):

I've checked 30, that's about my max.... but that was on a -500 on a business route on a Tuesday at rush-hr. ALl the business travelers had a rollerbag, AND a "personal item" which is really an overstuffed rollin computer bag that is almost the same size as the roller and doesn't fit under the aisle or window seat. We were :30 late as well due to the bag checking, pax wanting to argue about it, having to drag bags up form the AFT cabin etc etc. I shouldn't be dripping with sweat during boarding... the time we're not even getting paid.

Exactly, which is why you can understand that 60 gate checks on a 150-seat plane is ridiculous.

contrails15
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 pm

[quote=Maverick623,reply=29]62 gate checks?

If you've ever done a SDQ or STI flight you know why. Everyone carries at least one bag with many carrying two and most of the time the bag weighs more then 30lbs and the pax just gate check it knowing they can. I mean, what the hell do they care, if you can beat the system more power to ya. However, the FA's being lazy doesn't help but on the DR routes, I'll give them a break. 45 gate check bags btw is pretty much average on the STI, SDQ flights. Sometimes its so bad, captain will tell you to cap the gate check bags which has been done many times. When you use a 320 on a JFK-STI, SDQ route, this is what happens.

contrails15
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Quoting rgr8apples (Reply 13):
You've got to be stretching the truth a bit. Considering that the aircraft was full, what you are saying means that every single person checked at least one bag and nearly 1/3 or 45 people checked 2 bags???

Thats exactly what I'm saying and the example I gave you is nothing. I'll you the heaviest flight I've ever done and it was last Oct.

A320 150 seats
JFK-STI
238 bags
75 gate checks

Bin 5 35 bags
Bin 4 50 bags
Bin 3 75 bags
Bin 1 78 bags with 51 bags and 12 strollers.

When you do a flight like that, you never forget the numbers. Oh so too answer you, no i'm not stretching the truth.

InnocuousFox

Sun May 29, 2011 3:37 am

Bag can take an hour or more to show up at baggage claim.

Dude... where do YOU fly to/from?

Quoting spchamp1 (Reply 27):
It is not that we despise our jobs and simply don't care about the customer. You customers are the reason I have a job that I love.

In some places I've been they don't care... and these same people also realize that with *ahem* some of the protection they get, it doesn't matter whether customers even exist or not. A lot of that attitude is cultural to a city and/or region rather than to an airline.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

JAGflyer

Mon May 30, 2011 12:29 am

Should the check-in agents not be screening the bags for size? If you have a passenger flying on a flight like YYZ-YXU or anything that uses a small aircraft with small overheads (Dash8, CRJ100, etc) you can tell the pax they will not be able to fit the bag into the overhead? In Canada I have only seen gate-checks used for aircraft that are boarded using stairs rather than a jetbridge (smaller planes).
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

alasizon

Mon May 30, 2011 6:05 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 38):
Should the check-in agents not be screening the bags for size?

Part of the issue is the invention of Web Check-in leads to many customers just skipping the ticket counter all together. Also, often times, many CSAs are unaware of exactly how big the overhead bins are on certain planes, plus sometimes while some bins are small, you would be surprised on how many random size bags can be crammed in there that it would seem like would be impossible.

Also, as another recent example, I was on my way back home on PDX-SNA on AS a couple weeks ago and the flight was around a 40% LF (First was full but I was one of about ten to fifteen passengers behind the exit rows, the plane was more crowded up front and on another note, I happened to personally know two of the flight attendants as they were both locals). I would say at least twenty five passengers had bags that were obnoxiously huge and would normally have to be checked but instead they gate checked them and didn't have to pay. Now considering how light of a flight this was, I was just amazed by the amount of gate checks, and based on the amount of bags I saw loaded (we boarded 45 before departure, and before catering or bags came to the plane, we ended up leaving about 15 min early), we had just as many gate checks as we did actual checked bags. (Though we did have a bit of mail and other assorted cargo)

bond007

Mon May 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 39):
I would say at least twenty five passengers had bags that were obnoxiously huge and would normally have to be checked but instead they gate checked them and didn't have to pay.

Again, if the airline is going to let the pax get away with it, then nothing will change ... obviously!

AS contract of carriage clearly says

"Items exceeding the free allowance (see exceptions below) will be charged $25 per piece and tagged for delivery to baggage claim at the customer's destination."

I guarantee that if that happened, a large percentage of the folks wouldn't do it next time.

IMO, a little on the drastic side I agree, is that if the baggage is oversized for carry-on, the pax should have to return to the check-in desk to check it ... back through security. This should made clear when booking on the web, and printed on the boarding card page print. Announcements should also be made prior to boarding, warning of the fact. They won't do it next time   Plenty of folks did take time to go to the desk and check their baggage, and didn't try and work the system to get free checked bags.

It's totally unfair business practice to charge only those folks who did the right thing!

Jimbo

alasizon

Mon May 30, 2011 11:27 pm

I was at SNA today picking up a friend from the airport and I saw a couple of people who when they were checking in tried to sneak a "this is totally a carry-on even though it looks like a checked bag and weighs about fifty pounds" bag on and ended up having to pay the bag fee (on DL or CO for the ones I noticed, I was only in the actual terminal for about fifteen minutes)

seabosdca

Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 37):
Dude... where do YOU fly to/from?

I have waited 80 minutes for a bag at PHL. I'll never fly into that airport as a final destination again.

I have waited 60+ minutes several times at LHR.

I used to fly into BOS routinely, and bags would either come in 10-15 minutes or take an hour or more.

SEA used to average 40 minutes, but has gotten considerably better in the last few years.

contrails15
Topic Author

Tue May 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Getting a little off topic here but the time in which you get your bag is decided on a bunch of things. If there a lot of transfer bags, gate checks, equipment breaking down such as belt loaders and tugs, the belt bag system being jammed up ect ect. I mean, if this is domestic flights that your talking about that's insane but even if it isn't its still insane. However, if you are talking about international travel CBP will hold up the process big time. Happens all the time. We have to get the first bag on the carousel within 15mins and we do a pretty dam good job at doing it. That's at JFK which is our hub.

Maverick623

Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 pm

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 43):
Getting a little off topic here but the time in which you get your bag is decided on a bunch of things

Indeed, but as for these examples:

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 42):
I have waited 80 minutes for a bag at PHL

They're pretty standard (although PHL has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years).

aklrno

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:10 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 44):

Quoting contrails15 (Reply 43):
Getting a little off topic here but the time in which you get your bag is decided on a bunch of things

Indeed, but as for these examples:

I have waited 80 minutes for a bag at PHL

They're pretty standard (although PHL has gotten a lot better in the last couple of years).

I disagree that the time spent waiting for bags is off topic. That and baggage charges are what make people try to carry on all they are able to, and thus excessive gate checks. At least for me, moving my own baggage has no real allure of its own. But when my luggage often doesn't make a connection as fast as I can, or the time spent in baggage claim is nearly as long (or even longer) than the time in the air for a 45-60 minute domestic flight, then carry-on becomes attractive.

Someone said that you should only carry on what you need while on board. I only carry on what I need on board, medicines I must have with me, valuables, and any paperwork or other items vital for the purpose of my trip. In short, nearly anything I take with me.

I am much more likely to check baggage (even with connections) on my way home. Baggage today, tomorrow, the day after, no worries. Just don't make me wait in baggage claim for longer than the rest of my travel. And those long delays are real for domestic US travel. At RNO its not belt problems (the belt is just behind the wall at baggage claim) nor the long drive (its about 1 minute.) Its the lack of manpower. I once asked the airport manager why they don't have a dedicated crew to take the loaded carts from the plane to the belt. They could be shared by all airlines so it would be a very efficient system. She told me the airlines want total control from check-in to bag claim. Maybe a union problem?

After thinking about that for another 30 seconds, maybe I can start a webpage like peopleofwalmart.com with photos of people in baggage claim dressed inappropriately to be seen in public with all my spare time.

B727LVR

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:49 am

Dont blame on the F/A's. They can only stuff so many bags in a somewhat small area. As a traveller I have seen people travel with a carryon that I could put enough clothes in to last me 2 weeks or so. This problem is directly caused by the lack of monitoring by the airline at check-in (I know I will get blasted for that one). Better monitoring at check in will prevent 50-75% of this problem if not more.

I flew 8 legs this past weekend as a passenger, and saw more bags being checked up at the Gate area, than from being rejected by the F/A. Instead of the airline having people at the top of the gate saying "that wont fit," they should move those people to the ticketing areas and have them check the bags there. This will curve the passengers who try to abuse the system. Also once these passenger pay the extra fees for these check bags they will change their ways. It will also save my sanity as a passenger having to wait behind the people they make put their bags in the "sizing device." The largest item i use as a carry-on is a laptop case.
I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to planes!

bond007

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:36 am

Quoting B727LVR (Reply 46):
This problem is directly caused by the lack of monitoring by the airline at check-in (I know I will get blasted for that one).

Actually, they are required by the regulations to do it. As I mentioned earlier:

Quoting bond007 (Reply 28):
"No certificate holder may allow the boarding of carry-on baggage on an airplane unless each passenger's baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program in its operations specifications. In addition, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the carry-on baggage program in the certificate holder's operations specifications."

..and as for this:

Quoting B727LVR (Reply 46):
they should move those people to the ticketing areas and have them check the bags there.

I agree!

Quoting bond007 (Reply 40):
if the baggage is oversized for carry-on, the pax should have to return to the check-in desk to check it ... back through security.

Jimbo

agpatel

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:47 am

I too have been seeing more and more people trying to get more carry on items on board as they know they can gate check them and not pay the fee. Heck, I saw a couple talking about it and said lets not check the bags in as we can gate check them for free. I can understand having to gate check bags because you are on a smaller plane and the bins cant take a full size carry on for everyone but bags should really be checked for size before they get onto the A/C. I understand this will take more people and maybe longer lines but may help with some other issues.

I try and only take what I need when I fly, if I am flying for business my carry on has clothes for 2-3 days and anything I need to get my work done in case by bag does not make it on time to the destination for whatever reason.
-AnK

goblin211

Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 pm

I always bring 1 carry-on and put it under my seat. Never do I put it in the overhead bin because it's just too much of a pain with everyone else doing it. IMHO, they shouldn't have overhead bins unless every a/c on the planet had a standard overhead bin by law, which will never happen.
From the airport with love