Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

notaxonrotax
Topic Author

Tcas For GA, Is It Worth It?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi all,

played around with my Skyview system today for the very 1st time, hooking it up in another plane of the club.

Apparently, in the new software version (3.1 and onwards) you can program routes. I would expect to find this feature in the very 1st version; but I digress:

My question is:

Does anybody have experience with the ZAON PCAS XRX system, coupled to Dynon Skyview?

http://www.zaon.aero/

Yay or nay?
And how do you feel about having PCAS (TCAS) in a LSA?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

Fly2HMO

RE: Tcas For GA, Is It Worth It?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Anything that can increase safety is always worth it. With that being said however...

Quoting notaxonrotax (Thread starter):
And how do you feel about having PCAS (TCAS) in a LSA?

IMO it's a waste of money if you're going to only be flying in uncontrolled/very low traffic airspace with other LSA/ultralights/gliders around that don't have transponders to begin with.

Also, while I haven't used these personally, I know people that have and I've ready several reviews. And while it's definitely better than having nothing, they are no way nearly as good as purpose built certified systems (like a Garmin GTX 33). Even with those, your best defense vs traffic will always be your mark 1 eyeball.

Dunno where you fly, but if you were flying primarily around the equivalent of a US Class B airspace, then definitely get it. Class C? Perhaps. Anywhere else, not so much.

[Edited 2011-06-05 08:08:37]

FighterPilot

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Just echoing Fly2HMO's comments, it all depends where you are flying and how heavy the traffic is. If your flying near a larger airport or heavy traffic corridor then it may be worth it. However if the traffic doesn't even have a transponder, TCAS is basically useless. I fly in mainly uncontrolled airspace in Northern Canada and it wouldn't make sense for our company to invest in TCAS for our aircraft.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

notaxonrotax
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:36 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):

Dunno where you fly, but if you were flying primarily around the equivalent of a US Class B airspace, then definitely get it. Class C? Perhaps. Anywhere else, not so much.

Class C I guess, where I am………although we don´t use that system.
It must be equivalent to C, give or take.

IMO it's a waste of money if you're going to only be flying in uncontrolled/very low traffic airspace with other LSA/ultralights/gliders around that don't have transponders to begin with.

That´s the good thing………the governing body has put a deadline in August for all "small" traffic to have transponders installed. It has to be pretty tiny (under 60HP or R/C planes perhaps?) not to come up on the ZAON.

I've ready several reviews.

Do you happen to have a link to them at all?

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 2):
I fly in mainly uncontrolled airspace in Northern Canada and it wouldn't make sense for our company to invest in TCAS for our aircraft.

I guess not……..

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"