Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

krisyyz
Topic Author

How Many B777s Does It Take To Operate AC 33/34

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:20 pm

How many aircraft does it take to fly a long, multi-leg flight like Air Canada's A33/34 (YYZ-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYZ). Does the same aircraft fly the entire YYZ-YVR-SYD rotation, or is there an aircraft switch at YVR? AC has 6 B77Ls, does AC ever have problems finding an available B77L for AC 33/34?

Also, why does AC33 often operated under AC 2033 callsign?

Thanks,

KrisYYZ

longhauler

RE: How Many B777s Does It Take To Operate AC 33/34

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Quoting krisyyz (Thread starter):
Does the same aircraft fly the entire YYZ-YVR-SYD rotation, or is there an aircraft switch at YVR?
Also, why does AC33 often operated under AC 2033 callsign?

You may not have realized it, but you asked and answered your question.

Normally the whole flight is flown with one aircraft YYZ-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYZ. If you ever hear an AC20XX call sign, it is because the flight is not being flown with one aircraft. If the SYD-YVR flight is delayed, a sub aircraft will fly YVR-YYZ under an AC2XXX callsign to leave on time. The SYD-YYZ passengers will be accommodated on a later flight.

The converse is not normally true though. If the YYZ-YVR flight is delayed, then the YVR-SYD flight is normally delayed as well, as it is harder to accomodate the YYZ-SYD passengers on different flights.

The AC2XXX nomenclature is used as there can not be two flights with the same callsign airborne at the same time, nor in AC computers at the same time. This is what AC uses, some airlines use letters appending the callsign, for the same reason.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

YYZRWY23

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 pm

How many aircraft does it take to fly a long, multi-leg flight like Air Canada's A33/34 (YVR-SYD-YVR-YYZ 20:15, arrives 22:15, then departs YVR at 23:40 for SYD. Due to the flying time of YVR-SYD. I think you need 3 77L to operate the route. Two doing the YVR-SYD and SYD-YVR (simultaneously in the air at some points) and then one 77L could do the YVR-YVR at 09:00 (as the SYD leg arrives at 07:30), they can have on 77L doing YVR, RON, then do YVR-SYD legs or AC can find out, however, you would need 3 77L I believe.

HKG uses a 77L.
PVG uses a 77L.

That leaves, after HKG and PVG, one spare 77L. Someone at AC can confirm, but this is how I worked it out.

YYZRWY23

I was waiting for longhauler to post, turns out he did while typing mine.

[Edited 2011-06-13 10:14:13]
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

krisyyz
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 am

Quoting longhauler (Reply 1):
You may not have realized it, but you asked and answered your question.

Normally the whole flight is flown with one aircraft YYZ-YVR-SYD-YVR-YYZ. If you ever hear an AC20XX call sign, it is because the flight is not being flown with one aircraft. If the SYD-YVR flight is delayed, a sub aircraft will fly YVR-YYZ under an AC2XXX callsign to leave on time. The SYD-YYZ passengers will be accommodated on a later flight.

The converse is not normally true though. If the YYZ-YVR flight is delayed, then the YVR-SYD flight is normally delayed as well, as it is harder to accomodate the YYZ-SYD passengers on different flights.

The AC2XXX nomenclature is used as there can not be two flights with the same callsign airborne at the same time, nor in AC computers at the same time. This is what AC uses, some airlines use letters appending the callsign, for the same reason.

Thanks longhauler! Great answer as usual.

KrisYYZ