Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777ord
Topic Author

Low Time Pilot Jobs

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Hello all.

having been in the San Diego area for approximately 4 months, and well up to speed on flying abilities from being overseas for almost 2 years (Japan). I have decided its time to build time more frequently for obivous reasons. However, still being a part of the Navy for about one more year makes it impossible to do anything BUT instruct. I am working on my CFI, but, am hoping anyone reading this has an idea or idea's on how to further build time with the smallest amount of financial expense.

If it helps, I live in San Diego, am an active member of the PLUS ONE flying club at Montgomery field (KMYF), and just joined Angel flight as a mission pilot.

any help is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone is in SAN area, and would like a companion, private message me.

thanks all!

777ord

KELPkid

RE: Low Time Pilot Jobs

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Try the guys towing banner over the SoCal beaches...    Don't expect great pay, but it is fun flying that involves a degree of skill.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

777ord
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:53 pm

requires more than I have, 360TT. But, the pay isn't what I want out of it seeing as I work full time. But, the experience.

Fly2HMO

Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

I'll just say i got slightly less time than you, with a CFII though, and I've been spamming my resume to places left and right for the past 3 years and have only gotten called for two interviews in that whole time. Some swear there is a hiring boom already, but from what I've seen that only has benefited to guys with 1000 hrs or more. Unless you REALLY know people, I doubt there's any companies desperate enough to want to get sub-500 hr pilots.

longhauler

Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:40 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 3):
and I've been spamming my resume to places left and right for the past 3 years and have only gotten called for two interviews in that whole time.

Is this how it is done these days?

"Back in the day" when I was starting out, it was expected to jump in your car, fill it with resumes, and drive across the country until you find a job. While a nicely worded email, and e-resume may look good, they are too easy, and to an employer ... probably a dime a dozen. There is a lot to be said to walk into an establishment, looking neat and professional and meeting a prospective employer face to face.

For the record, I was very very lucky. During a slow hiring time, I walked into a charter company's Chief Pilot office, just as the guy they fired was walking out! The next day, with less than 500TT I was on course as a Lear 25 F/O.

It is all about being in the right place at the right time, and you can not do that with emails.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

777ord
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

I've been posting business cards on the usual cork board advertisements in various airports I've gone to. But, being on avjobs.com has been helpful for finding where jobs are. I have absolutely no objection to getting my CFI, infact, I want to get it. I just need to figure out other things first before committing to it, mainly other job offers out of the San Diego area.

I keep a stack of business cards/resume's in a folder in my car should the moment arise, and as well as in my flight bag while visiting FBO's.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or idea's for spreading your name around the industry? I personally feel we could turn this discussion into how each of us can network our credentials within the field for personal gainful employment. Not, a posting our resume forum, but, idea's on networking. Thoughts? (Should be within a.net forum rules)

Fly2HMO

Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:19 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 4):
and you can not do that with emails.

One can only do so many walk-ins. I've done several and was never received with much enthusiasm, I get the feeling my resume was in the shredder in most of these places shortly after I walked out. Heck at the one place I pretty much got laughed at when he saw my total time. Never before have I wanted to leave someone a black eye so badly.

At any rate, I have an interview coming up at the end of this month. Which probably won't go well, and would mean shelling out over $500 just to get my butt out to the other side of the country just for interviewing, but I guess I may as well give it a shot, it's not like I got much else going for me anyways  

DashTrash

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 3):
I'll just say i got slightly less time than you, with a CFII though, and I've been spamming my resume to places left and right for the past 3 years and have only gotten called for two interviews in that whole time. Some swear there is a hiring boom already, but from what I've seen that only has benefited to guys with 1000 hrs or more. Unless you REALLY know people, I doubt there's any companies desperate enough to want to get sub-500 hr pilots.

Try Piedmont if you haven't already. Also, depending on how much time you have your resume might be the issue. If you want, PM me your email address and I'll look it over and send you what I used to get hired at a few different companies. My resume isn't perfect but it worked.

Quoting longhauler (Reply 4):

For airline hiring these days you either email your resume directly, fill out an online application, or use an evil torture device known as "AirlineApps.com". It depends on what the company wants. Actually going to HQ in person will generally get you nowhere these days. I know with NetJets you wouldn't get in the parking lot without a company ID. It's different of course for corporate jobs and smaller companies where that might work.

777ord
Topic Author

Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:32 pm

DashTrash, what is so bad about airlineapps?? I've seen the site, but I don't feel like paying for another airline app site I can't explore prior too.

longhauler

Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 7):
For airline hiring these days you either email your resume directly, fill out an online application, or use an evil torture device known as "AirlineApps.com". It depends on what the company wants. Actually going to HQ in person will generally get you nowhere these days.

Doesn't sound like we are talking airline hiring here though.

In fact, at my airline (which is hiring to maximum the training centre will allow right now) does the whole process online. All factors are weighted, graded and tallied, then interviews are granted in order. Less than 500TT will allow you to enter information, but it wont get much further than that.

If I can guess correctly, the OP is looking for work that will, when filling an online application will allow him an airline interview. It is that ever elusive "first job".

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
One can only do so many walk-ins. I've done several and was never received with much enthusiasm, I get the feeling my resume was in the shredder in most of these places shortly after I walked out. Heck at the one place I pretty much got laughed at when he saw my total time. Never before have I wanted to leave someone a black eye so badly.

I recall those days well. I remember one secretary asking me, sneering, "How much pilot-in-command turbine time do you have?". Holding my resume over the garbage waiting for an answer. I almost asked her, how much PIC turbine time SHE had ... but thought better.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

pilotpip

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:54 am

With most flying jobs it's the insurance minimums that govern more than FAA minimums. With that kind of time, you're pretty much limited to doing what most of us did: instructing.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 6):
At any rate, I have an interview coming up at the end of this month. Which probably won't go well, and would mean shelling out over $500 just to get my butt out to the other side of the country just for interviewing, but I guess I may as well give it a shot, it's not like I got much else going for me anyways

Any company that doesn't get you to the interview should be an immediate red flag. I interviewed at one once, before I was furloughed, because I could jumpseat. After that I determined that I wouldn't take a pay cut to fly an airplane.

It's been a tough few years. It's slowly starting to get better. You've been slugging it out for a while (based on posts here) and are one of the people that have stuck with it. I think you'll find that you're going to get in right at the start of the next big wave which is a great position to be in.
DMI

Fly2HMO

Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:47 am

Try Piedmont if you haven't already.

A friend of mine just got in with them. He offered to walk my resume in. But I want to try my luck with the CFI thing first, since I think I got better chances compared to piedmont, and it's at my alma mater so people know me.

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 10):
With most flying jobs it's the insurance minimums that govern more than FAA minimums.

Indeed. The magic number seems to be 500 TT if you look around a lot of places. And apparently the only way around that is if you know a LOT of people who could sneak you into your company of interest.

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 10):
I think you'll find that you're going to get in right at the start of the next big wave which is a great position to be in.

I sure hope so. Though that idiotic new FAA ATP rule will becoming effective here shortly may make life difficult for us low timers yet again   

spudsmac

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:47 am

PM me your email address and I'll look it over and send you what I used to get hired at a few different companies. My resume isn't perfect but it worked.

I'll look at it too if you want. I went to ERAU also and have had 3 job offers since I graduated in May with sub 350 hours.

[Edited 2011-07-12 22:49:25]

DashTrash

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 8):
DashTrash, what is so bad about airlineapps?? I've seen the site, but I don't feel like paying for another airline app site I can't explore prior too.

It takes way too long to fill out apps, and without paying you have to fill out one at a time. If you pay the $$$$$$$$$ you can input your info and target the airlines you want. Not a bad system if you're willing to pay, but total crap if you're not. I just can't / won't pay to apply to an airline.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):
A friend of mine just got in with them. He offered to walk my resume in. But I want to try my luck with the CFI thing first, since I think I got better chances compared to piedmont, and it's at my alma mater so people know me.

You should do what you feel is in your best interest. If you're after an airline career, I would highly recommend hitting up Piedmont. Go there, get your total time up to 1000, then make a lateral move to a regional where you'll get an upgrade. Piedmont has unfortunately turned into a stepping stone to another regional, but you'll learn a lot about flying from it.

If your friend wants any info about his new airplane / company, shoot me a message and we'll talk.

pilotpip

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 11):

I sure hope so. Though that idiotic new FAA ATP rule will becoming effective here shortly may make life difficult for us low timers yet again

It may be frustrating to you now, but that rule is one of the best things to happen to this industry in a long time. It won't be possible to simply lower standards and hopefully the pay at the bottom will increase as the regionals will have to pay more to attract experienced pilots.

In all actuality, I see those rules going away just like the rest rules when the RAA can't hire anybody. Once again lobbyists with cash will triumph over safety.
DMI

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 14):
It won't be possible to simply lower standards and hopefully the pay at the bottom will increase as the regionals will have to pay more to attract experienced pilots.

Only for a short period of time. Once the supply curve catches back up with demand, pay will be right back where its at. I'm amazed how many pilots are so shortsighted to see that. Perhaps most airline pilots are just to blind to economics in general.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

DashTrash

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 15):
Only for a short period of time. Once the supply curve catches back up with demand, pay will be right back where its at. I'm amazed how many pilots are so shortsighted to see that. Perhaps most airline pilots are just to blind to economics in general.

Not entirely true. Airline pilot pay is stipulated in negotiated contracts. IF (big if) airline management is forced to go back to the table and re-negotiate bringing higher pay with it, you're not likely to see a pilot group vote in lower pay because there are suddenly enough pilots to fill the seats. There are certainly tricks that management will attempt and a pilot group may buy off on, but increased pilot supply in and of itself will not drive pay down no more than fewer available pilots have driven pay up at union carriers.

Northwest727

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 13):
You should do what you feel is in your best interest. If you're after an airline career, I would highly recommend hitting up Piedmont. Go there, get your total time up to 1000, then make a lateral move to a regional where you'll get an upgrade. Piedmont has unfortunately turned into a stepping stone to another regional, but you'll learn a lot about flying from it.
Try Piedmont if you haven't already.

Is that true though? Looking at their website, Piedmont seems to be on the high side of airline minimums, 1500tt and 200 multi.

For me, the TT is no issue, as I am a CFI, and am building time rather quickly. The issue for me is multi time...it seems impossible to get. I have an MEI, but nobody will allow you to teach multi without 100 multi. My current employer has a Seneca for charters only, and the twice-a-month chance I can log a total of 1 hour multi on the 135 deadhead legs isn't really getting me anywhere.

DashTrash

Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Quoting Northwest727 (Reply 17):

I think at this point they'll take what they can get. I got on with about 1200 when they wanted 1500, but that was 8 years ago.

bond007

Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:36 pm

I got a lot of 'free' time flying the news and traffic guys around in 152/172s. It was early morning (someone else did the evening), so I had time for a 'normal' job as well ... although that was mostly instructing.

A lot of the traffic/news guys fly choppers, but ones with least money were more sensible and flew slow in the single engine Cessnas.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

airportugal310

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 19):
I got a lot of 'free' time flying the news and traffic guys around in 152/172s. It was early morning (someone else did the evening), so I had time for a 'normal' job as well ... although that was mostly instructing.

I know a lot of guys and girls around in my circle who accrued a good amount of time doing traffic runs...

...then went on to find decent jobs with a local airline.

They used to buzz (I use the term loosely) my office building when they were heading by...was pretty nice!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

atct

Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 am

Van Wagner Aerial Media

Predictive Photography

National Sky Signs

Look them up. If you have Tailwheel time most banner tow companies will hire you for the season on the spot, just call em. If you don't have tailwheel time...you're not a pilot just a kid on a trike.
Trikes are for kids!

pilotpip

Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 15):

-DiamondFlyer

You have all the answers don't you? Where are the pilots going to come from? The barriers to entry have become extremely high and people simply aren't willing to invest thousands of dollars for a low paying career.
DMI

airportugal310

Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 22):
You have all the answers don't you? Where are the pilots going to come from? The barriers to entry have become extremely high and people simply aren't willing to invest thousands of dollars for a low paying career.

The pilots who are currently going through the training system and wasting away instructing for the time being?

Let's face it...they didnt spend the money to learn to fly so they could instruct all their lives...they will fly for cheap, which just leaves you right where you started with pay
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

lowrider

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 21):
If you don't have tailwheel time...you're not a pilot just a kid on a trike.

Brilliant. Can I steal this one?
Proud OOTSK member

DashTrash

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:20 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 23):
Let's face it...they didnt spend the money to learn to fly so they could instruct all their lives...they will fly for cheap, which just leaves you right where you started with pay

The thought is there are more pilots required than are going through training.

With the 1500 hour rule coming into effect the supply of kids willing to put up with the hassle may drop even further than it already has. I doubt many will sign up to put themselves $100K in debt only to have to beg / borrow / steal time to build up to 1500 so they can apply to a regional. Instructing will dry up a bit as a result since there are fewer students who want airline careers. High fuel prices will drive out many who wish to become private pilots along with drops in disposable income as a result.

Short of the military there aren't many ways to build time, especially the extra 1250 hours you'd need after getting your commercial.

I still say other factors will make this post null and void though.

777ord
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Let's hope down the road what we discuss won't be the way of the industry.

Thanks to all who gave some input. Certainly some good views here, and discussion items.

Perhaps I should have stated in my original post. I do NOT want to fly for the airlines, but, work for them. I loved every minute of ramp/ground operations, and am considering getting my dispatcher certificate. Main reason is wanting to be home. Spending 2 years in japan, among other places, and where I am in life, I dont feel like being gone. Truth be told, again, I am just as happy flying a cessna, as I am being on a jet.

I'm quite confident that CFI during free time, and airline management would be a good mix of what I want in life. What sucks, is I LOVE San Diego. But, no airline has major operations that I know are hiring when compared to a major airport (ORD,LAX...) Oh decisions. gotta love em!!!!

airportugal310

Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 25):
The thought is there are more pilots required than are going through training.

With the 1500 hour rule coming into effect the supply of kids willing to put up with the hassle may drop even further than it already has. I doubt many will sign up to put themselves $100K in debt only to have to beg / borrow / steal time to build up to 1500 so they can apply to a regional. Instructing will dry up a bit as a result since there are fewer students who want airline careers. High fuel prices will drive out many who wish to become private pilots along with drops in disposable income as a result.

Short of the military there aren't many ways to build time, especially the extra 1250 hours you'd need after getting your commercial.

Thanks for clarifying!

Agree with the military route...probably not a bad way to go

777ord
Topic Author

Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:16 am

Nope, it's not a bad way to go. Great job security and pretty great pay/benefits.

Fly2HMO

Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:25 am

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 25):

I know AOPA and several of the larger aero universities were pushing to have pilots with an aero degree have their degree credits "count" as several hundred flight hours, effectively making it a non-issue for said students. I haven't heard any more rumors on that though, I get the feeling it ain't happening  

DashTrash

Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 29):
ow AOPA and several of the larger aero universities were pushing to have pilots with an aero degree have their degree credits "count" as several hundred flight hours, effectively making it a non-issue for said students. I haven't heard any more rumors on that though, I get the feeling it ain't happening

All the aviation letter groups, including ALPA (CAPA being the only exception) supports that. The members of Congress who wrote the bill in the first place said they intended for the mins to be 1500 hrs. What really happens is up in the air, but being a product of one of those schools I can tell you that classroom time is not real world experience. Shouldn't make a difference in when you're "worthy" to fly an airplane full of people.

pilotpip

Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 23):

The pilots who are currently going through the training system and wasting away instructing for the time being?

There are always barriers to entry. About 15 years ago most pilots would have to go fly night freight for a few years and a couple thousand hours to get enough time to fly a Saab. At one point in the not to distant past people with 3000 hours plus were PAYING their training bills at many regional airlines to work for about $14,000 the first couple years. When the regionals first started hiring in small amounts for attrition last year, you wouldn't get looked at without a lot of time. A lot of the people in class at our airline were furloughed from somewhere else. This backfired royally on the company as many left for higher paying positions as soon as they were current.

Now, as others have said, the opposite is true. Thousands will be retiring, but only a small percentage of that number are currently training. Regionals know they are going to have a major staffing problem in the very near future that will last at least a few years. This is one of the reasons Eagle and others have already lowered their minimums to around 1000 total. 1500 or not, as soon as flights start cancelling en masse you will likely see some sort of exemption for graduates of 141 schools or something like that. Just like the rest rules, they sound great until the airlines all cry about how much they will cost them. Blood is cheaper.

I made more instructing than I did during my first two years at a regional.
DMI

Mir

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting pilotpip (Reply 31):
1500 or not, as soon as flights start cancelling en masse you will likely see some sort of exemption for graduates of 141 schools or something like that. Just like the rest rules, they sound great until the airlines all cry about how much they will cost them.

Let's suppose for a second that ALPA gets their way and there is no exemption from the ATP rule for anyone. This will push wages up due to increased demand, but that's going to push fares up as well due to the need to cover the extra costs, and at some point the passengers won't buy the tickets anymore, thus removing demand for pilots and pushing wages down again. The ultimate problem is that air travel has become public transportation, and is priced and staffed accordingly. That's just economic principles at work, and I can't see any piece of legislation altering that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

pilotpip

Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm

ALPA won't get their way. Just like with the rest rules. The almightly dollar rules.
DMI

n6238p

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:22 am

Now maybe someone can help me out here and this may be getting a bit off topic, but is the rule 1500hrs or is it ATP minimums? Because if it is ATP minimums, there will be bigger issues than just getting the 1500.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 am

Quoting N6238P (Reply 34):
but is the rule 1500hrs or is it ATP minimums? Because if it is ATP minimums, there will be bigger issues than just getting the 1500.

They are essentially the same. If you get to 1500 hours without the other required experience numbers for the ATP, you probably don't deserve to have an ATP at that point.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

Mir

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:25 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 35):
They are essentially the same.

They're really not. The airlines wouldn't be looking for people with just 1500 hours, they'd be looking for people with 1500 hours, and 500 hours cross country, and all the other stuff that goes into being qualified for an ATP. If we're going to talk about such a requirement, we might as well be honest about what exactly it is.

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 35):
If you get to 1500 hours without the other required experience numbers for the ATP, you probably don't deserve to have an ATP at that point.

Are you suggesting that people need to have all the other requirements for the ATP by the time they have 1500 hours, otherwise they're not really worthy of holding an ATP in the future?

-Mir

DashTrash

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):

Let's suppose for a second that ALPA gets their way and there is no exemption from the ATP rule for anyone.

ALPA has been supporting a break for collegiate flight program grads (against the will of the majority of the membership......again).

ALPA plays the political games it feels it needs to play. Much like age 65, which they supported it because they knew it would become law anyway. By supporting it they feel they will have a bigger influence in how the reg is written. Probably the same playbook here.

bjorn14

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 21):
Look them up. If you have Tailwheel time most banner tow companies will hire you for the season on the spot, just call em. If you don't have tailwheel time...you're not a pilot just a kid on a trike.

I do my family used to own a C140 of course I was about 10 and my Dad need me to sit in front because I was the biggest.

What about flying in Europe? What are the TT minimums there?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Mir

Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 37):
ALPA has been supporting a break for collegiate flight program grads (against the will of the majority of the membership......again).

Interesting - I hadn't kept up with that.

-Mir