Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AlnessW
Topic Author

Gates And Ticket Counters At PDX

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:01 pm

I am curious about certain gate and ticket counter usage/operations at PDX.

When I was at PDX last week, I noticed that there are certain gates currently not being used by anyone. Gate C1 was recently reopened (and now has chairs in the departure lounge again) after the bag sorting tent was taken down. The gate and its partner C3 also appear to have new signage.

Are C8 or C11 being used? I know that C9 (next to C11) is used exclusively by AA and they also rarely seem to use C11, as it does have AA signage (though not much). But C8 looks pretty dormant, and I remember its departure board was simply displaying a bunch of asterisks.   It appears that F9 only uses C10, but I think I've seen occasional F9 RONs utilize C8. Is this true?

As of this moment, C12, C18, and C20-C23 are only used for arrivals and RONs. When Spirit Airlines adds PDX in September, will they use one of these gates? Does anyone know which gate they'll use for their operations?

Is AS (or QX) currently using B3 for their summer ops? I haven't seen it being used in a while.

In the D concourse, gates D2, D6, and D8 are not being used currently. Their departure lounges are completely empty and are just carpeted floors. I know D2's ramp is currently blocked with debris, but were D6 and D8 ever used by anyone? (DL? NW?)

Also, the international concourse, gates D10-D15 are also usually pretty quiet. DL "appears" to only use D11 for their flights to NRT and AMS, both arrivals and departures but I may be wrong. (I hear they do some weird 763 shuffles at PDX.) But D11 is also sometimes used by DL for domestic flights, it seems. D13 is used by CO (in addition to D1) for when they have both an EWR and IAH aircraft on the ground, as well as for RONs. D10 (and D4) are used by HA, both arrivals and departures. That leaves D12, D14, and D15. LH used D14 (I think) for their FRA flight back when they served PDX. These days, the end gates D13-D15 look pretty dormant. Are they currently used or are there any plans to do so?

Gates E1-E4 in the E concourse are all used by UA and AC mainline. UA also uses E5 for an RON and an early morning departure, but then only sparingly after that (right?). In late June I flew UA 739 to DEN departing at 7:07 AM, and the A320 departed out of E5.

Now, for ticket counters:

DL, US and CO use the counters in the north lobby, while UA/AC, AA, B6, F9, and WN use the central lobby counters. AS and HA are the only airlines that use the south lobby counters, right? I think LH and NW's counters used to be down there, too. Now a days, it looks rather like a ghost town once you wander anywhere past the AS counters. Will NK be moving in there? Any other plans for the south lobby counters?

I think that covers it all... Any other info/clarifications would be most appreciated!  

dinker225

RE: Gates And Ticket Counters At PDX

Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:28 am

I'll bite.

Quoting AlnessW (Thread starter):
Are C8 or C11 being used? I know that C9 (next to C11) is used exclusively by AA and they also rarely seem to use C11, as it does have AA signage (though not much).

C11 used to be used I believe when AA had ORD and DFW. Now they RON airplanes there and on occasion if they have a delayed flight they'll use it. But not daily.

But C8 looks pretty dormant, and I remember its departure board was simply displaying a bunch of asterisks. It appears that F9 only uses C10, but I think I've seen occasional F9 RONs utilize C8. Is this true?

F9 used to use C8 but for some reason they switched to C10 recently. Maybe to give Jetblue at C6 more room? Who knows.

As of this moment, C12, C18, and C20-C23 are only used for arrivals and RONs. When Spirit Airlines adds PDX in September, will they use one of these gates? Does anyone know which gate they'll use for their operations?

No idea. Sorry

Is AS (or QX) currently using B3 for their summer ops? I haven't seen it being used in a while.

The last time I saw B3 used for passenger loading was when QX used all the B gates for their RJ's. Now AS uses them for a few flights but there isn't enough room to have a B737 at all three B gates. They do however use B3 for RON's. But they A/C has to be moved before gate B2 can push back.

In the D concourse, gates D2, D6, and D8 are not being used currently. Their departure lounges are completely empty and are just carpeted floors. I know D2's ramp is currently blocked with debris, but were D6 and D8 ever used by anyone? (DL? NW?)

D2 hasn't been used since I've been around PDX. I know it's a staging area for construction but beyond that I have no idea. D6 and D8 were PMNW gates. DL used them for a short period after the merger but now they are mostly vacant. I've seen a few airplanes park there if they will be spending hours on the ground. Also F9 has started using D8 for RON A/C.

Also, the international concourse, gates D10-D15 are also usually pretty quiet. DL "appears" to only use D11 for their flights to NRT and AMS, both arrivals and departures but I may be wrong. (I hear they do some weird 763 shuffles at PDX.) But D11 is also sometimes used by DL for domestic flights, it seems.

DL used to use more international gates. Not sure why they quit. They do indeed do some "odd" B763 shuffle. I have no idea why and as I recall, it seems to be a fairly recent concept.

D13 is used by CO (in addition to D1) for when they have both an EWR and IAH aircraft on the ground, as well as for RONs.

CO does indeed park planes at D13 but only for unloading. They only gate they use for boarding is D1. Although one day I did see them pull a B737 over to the E gates. Presumably to train PMUA ground staff on the equipment?

That leaves D12, D14, and D15. LH used D14 (I think) for their FRA flight back when they served PDX. These days, the end gates D13-D15 look pretty dormant. Are they currently used or are there any plans to do so?

They are pretty dormant. More storage than anything else for planes on the ground awhile. No idea of future plans.

Gates E1-E4 in the E concourse are all used by UA and AC mainline. UA also uses E5 for an RON and an early morning departure, but then only sparingly after that (right?). In late June I flew UA 739 to DEN departing at 7:07 AM, and the A320 departed out of E5.

E5 is used late at night and early morning by UA. The rest of they day, RJ's and E120's for OO are parked there. But they don't use the jetway for any flights.

DL, US and CO use the counters in the north lobby, while UA/AC, AA, B6, F9, and WN use the central lobby counters. AS and HA are the only airlines that use the south lobby counters, right?

Technically I believe DL being north of the passageway is considered the north lobby.

I think LH and NW's counters used to be down there, too.

NW used to use the space that if I remember correctly is now used by B6. When B6 first started service at PDX, UA ground handled them. So they shared counter and gate space with UA like AC does now. LH was down at the very end.

Now a days, it looks rather like a ghost town once you wander anywhere past the AS counters. Will NK be moving in there? Any other plans for the south lobby counters?

No clue where NK plans on setting up shop.

A lot of airlines are giving back a whole bunch of leased space. The rumor I keep hearing is that the Port of Portland charges outrageous rates for space. UA has recently given back a bunch of ticket counter space, as has AS. DL gave up the PMNW space in the center of the ticket lobby. UA has also recently given back a lot of their ground level space under the E gates. Again for the crazy rent charged by the Port of Portland.

Hopefully I answered your questions. Somebody else feel free to jump in if I've missed anything.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:27 am

Quoting dinker225 (Reply 1):
C11 used to be used I believe when AA had ORD and DFW. Now they RON airplanes there and on occasion if they have a delayed flight they'll use it. But not daily.

Interesting to know. They do still serve DFW, but is C11 only used for departures if there is a delay?

F9 used to use C8 but for some reason they switched to C10 recently. Maybe to give Jetblue at C6 more room? Who knows.

Perhaps. I do recall arriving into PDX on an Alaska RON, and we parked at C10. This was in December of 2009; perhaps F9 still used C8 at that time?

Now AS uses them for a few flights but there isn't enough room to have a B737 at all three B gates. They do however use B3 for RON's. But they A/C has to be moved before gate B2 can push back.

Now I see why B3 isn't used often!   

D2 hasn't been used since I've been around PDX. I know it's a staging area for construction but beyond that I have no idea.

I also seem to recall hearing that PDX used to run some sort of concourse connector bus out of D2 before the connector hallway was built.

D6 and D8 were PMNW gates.

Didn't NW use D9 as well?

Also F9 has started using D8 for RON A/C.

I've seen them use C8 too, but never for departures.

DL used to use more international gates.

That's what I thought too. I recall NW formally used D15 for the AMS flight, but I could be wrong.

Although one day I did see them pull a B737 over to the E gates. Presumably to train PMUA ground staff on the equipment?

I've never seen this practice before, but you are probably right.

The rest of they day, RJ's and E120's for OO are parked there. But they don't use the jetway for any flights.

Correct, OO does not want to pay the Port to use a jet bridge for any of their operations.

Technically I believe DL being north of the passageway is considered the north lobby.

That's what I said:

DL, US and CO use the counters in the north lobby
NW used to use the space that if I remember correctly is now used by B6.

You may be right; the position that JetBlue uses is not very big. I recall that NW ran a pretty small operation in PDX. (MSP?)

When B6 first started service at PDX, UA ground handled them. So they shared counter and gate space with UA like AC does now.

ATS now handles the ramp for B6, and they lease their own counter space. UA did the ramp and gave them free counter space ever since they started serving PDX. B6 used to use E3 for their flights.

A lot of airlines are giving back a whole bunch of leased space. The rumor I keep hearing is that the Port of Portland charges outrageous rates for space.
UA has also recently given back a lot of their ground level space under the E gates. Again for the crazy rent charged by the Port of Portland.

I hear that PDX charges some of the highest fees in the entire nation for terminal space.

UA has recently given back a bunch of ticket counter space

Another reason why B6 leases their own counters now - UA did indeed give back lots of counters which included the position that B6 used. (That's why you'll notice that B6's old counter space is completely empty.)

Hopefully I answered your questions. Somebody else feel free to jump in if I've missed anything.

Thank you sir!  

AlnessW
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:49 am

Some other questions:

1. Why has the carpet always been so splotchy once you wander past gate D9 and into the international area? I've always wondered about this. When I first saw the carpet I thought that maybe it had just been cleaned or something, but that is not the case...

2. Is there any reason why the gate agents at PDX never use the larger podiums in the departure areas? I only just noticed that the big counters with the main departure boards are hardly ever used. Instead, the agents only use the small counter set up in the boarding lanes (where they scan boarding passes). Is there any particular reason for this? Or maybe the Port of Portland charges some other crazy fee for usage of the large podiums?  

alasizon

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm

Additionally C11 is used if AA cancels a flight. Rather than have to shift everything over for the next day/remainder of the day to C11, they just move the aircraft from C9 to C11.

As I recall the reason behind this move was more so to give themselves more room because it used to get tight on the ground when both B6 and F9 were on the ground at the same time. (As I recall there were a couple instances of baggage handlers almost hitting eachother)

It has been rumored that NK will take either C18 or D6/D8. I know that I recently was in PDX and the C18 jetway was going through some intensive training (more than normal maintenance and more than would ever be required for the 1 WN flight/day)

The last time I saw B3 used for passenger loading was when QX used all the B gates for their RJ's. Now AS uses them for a few flights but there isn't enough room to have a B737 at all three B gates. They do however use B3 for RON's. But they A/C has to be moved before gate B2 can push back.

Additionally, for the most part, B3 is partially un-usable by an aircraft under its own power because of the "boarding fences" that QX has set up parallel to the outside of the aircraft on A1. If a 737 (or even an RJ) was to try to taxi into B3 (Alpha or Bravo), the immense power of the jets would send these fences flying, along with any passengers in the area at the time. Furthermore, keep in mind that inside the terminal, the numbers of the gates are reversed, B3 is actually B1 and B1 is actually B3.

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 3):
Is there any reason why the gate agents at PDX never use the larger podiums in the departure areas? I only just noticed that the big counters with the main departure boards are hardly ever used. Instead, the agents only use the small counter set up in the boarding lanes (where they scan boarding passes). Is there any particular reason for this? Or maybe the Port of Portland charges some other crazy fee for usage of the large podiums?

I've seen many AS and US agents use the podium to handle any questions. The reason a lot of the small podiums are used is because they are right next to the boarding door and the MVP carpet/General Boarding carpet are already set up there.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 4):

Ah, I see our PDX know-it-all is back!  
As I recall the reason behind this move was more so to give themselves more room because it used to get tight on the ground when both B6 and F9 were on the ground at the same time. (As I recall there were a couple instances of baggage handlers almost hitting eachother)

Interesting. I have noticed that F9 still uses C8, but only for RONs.

It has been rumored that NK will take either C18 or D6/D8. I know that I recently was in PDX and the C18 jetway was going through some intensive training (more than normal maintenance and more than would ever be required for the 1 WN flight/day)

Cool, thanks. Will NK need one gate or two? I guess the D6/D8 pair would work as those gate areas are currently empty, with no chairs or anything. Though dinker225 says that D8 sometimes holds F9 RONs. Does C18 and C20-C23 have chairs/other equipment? I seem to recall they have chairs but nothing else. If NK moved into C18 would WN still need that gate for arrivals?

Additionally, for the most part, B3 is partially un-usable by an aircraft under its own power because of the "boarding fences" that QX has set up parallel to the outside of the aircraft on A1. If a 737 (or even an RJ) was to try to taxi into B3 (Alpha or Bravo), the immense power of the jets would send these fences flying, along with any passengers in the area at the time.

That's interesting. I was not aware that A1 and B3 were that close to eachother.

Furthermore, keep in mind that inside the terminal, the numbers of the gates are reversed, B3 is actually B1 and B1 is actually B3.

I was not aware of this either. Why are they reversed?

I've seen many AS and US agents use the podium to handle any questions. The reason a lot of the small podiums are used is because they are right next to the boarding door and the MVP carpet/General Boarding carpet are already set up there.

How about UA? I've never seen them use the large podiums before; only the small ones. They will board the flight, make announcements, give seat assignments, help pax, and check rollaboard suitcases (manually with the handwritten tags) all at that small podium.

AdmiralRitt

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 pm

It is not suprising there are unused gates at PDX. A friend of mine who retired there says
that the state is very Anti-growth, not just to business but extra residents. And state policies
have dis-incentives for busineses to start up or move there.

Essentially alot of residents would like Oregon to be a one big hippe commune except that they don't want anyone living next to them. Also because of lack of jobs they are cash poor. They do alot of bartering in the country side. I can forsee Oregon losing a congressional seat during the next census in 2020. Hey if you dont want your neighborhood to change much or your city to stay nice a homey anti-growth measures are the way to go

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Quoting AdmiralRitt (Reply 6):

You may find these to read these:

Current/Future PDX Service (by AlnessW Jul 25 2011 in Aviation Polls)
PDX, Biting The Hand That Feeds It (by ramprat74 Mar 27 2010 in Civil Aviation)

alasizon

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 5):
I was not aware of this either. Why are they reversed?

Actually, it appears I was wrong here. They are numbered correctly (they didn't used to be).

Cool, thanks. Will NK need one gate or two? I guess the D6/D8 pair would work as those gate areas are currently empty, with no chairs or anything. Though dinker225 says that D8 sometimes holds F9 RONs. Does C18 and C20-C23 have chairs/other equipment? I seem to recall they have chairs but nothing else. If NK moved into C18 would WN still need that gate for arrivals?

C20-C23 do have the larger set of podiums with CRTs and everything along with chairs but they do not have the smaller podiums near the doors to the jet bridges for boarding. As far as NK goes, I am unaware of how many gates they will require. With regards to WN needing the gate for arrivals, it is just the closest gate to their other set of gates where they can host an arrival. They could clean up C20 (which they currently have covered with GSE during the day) along with the space between C18 and C20 and use C20 for those arrivals. Likewise, if Spirit goes over to D, D6/D8 will need to be cleaned up.

How about UA? I've never seen them use the large podiums before; only the small ones. They will board the flight, make announcements, give seat assignments, help pax, and check rollaboard suitcases (manually with the handwritten tags) all at that small podium.

I've seen CO employees use it, along with the UA employees boarding 757s. Any aircraft smaller than that I can't speak for but I will admit UA does seem to have an affinity for the smaller podiums.

That's interesting. I was not aware that A1 and B3 were that close to eachother.

The physical gates are not, but the lead-in lines make them extremely close, especially if a 737 were to come into B3.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 8):
Actually, it appears I was wrong here. They are numbered correctly (they didn't used to be).

I see; do you know why they were once reversed?

C20-C23 do have the larger set of podiums with CRTs and everything along with chairs but they do not have the smaller podiums near the doors to the jet bridges for boarding.

I take it those gates have not been used for departures in a while, seeing as they have a CRT monitor and not an LED screen. (Or have they ever held departures?) I take it that if NK were to use any of those gates the CRT monitor would have to go and be replaced with more modern equipment.

They could clean up C20 (which they currently have covered with GSE during the day) along with the space between C18 and C20 and use C20 for those arrivals

But doesn't WN already use C20 for RONs? Don't they use C12 for arrivals too? My understanding of those end gates were C12, C18, C20, and C22 are used by WN, while AS uses C23. I don't think I've ever seen AS use any other end gate besides C23. Is C21 blocked?

Likewise, if Spirit goes over to D, D6/D8 will need to be cleaned up.

Plus, D6/D8 doesn't have any equipment at all. The larger podiums are gone too, I think. What is currently blocking D6/D8? DL GSE?

I've seen CO employees use it, along with the UA employees boarding 757s. Any aircraft smaller than that I can't speak for but I will admit UA does seem to have an affinity for the smaller podiums.

That would make sense for CO, as the larger D1 podium is literally right next to the jetbridge door. I do notice however that the larger podiums in the E concourse are kind of a ways from the main seating areas and the boarding doors. I haven't seen UA use these before, but it has been a while since I've departed PDX on a UA 757 like you mention. UA does seem to prefer the smaller podiums for A320s/A319s. Not sure why.

alasizon

Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 9):
I take it those gates have not been used for departures in a while, seeing as they have a CRT monitor and not an LED screen. (Or have they ever held departures?) I take it that if NK were to use any of those gates the CRT monitor would have to go and be replaced with more modern equipment.

C20 has held a couple of AS departures during IROPs to my knowledge

But doesn't WN already use C20 for RONs? Don't they use C12 for arrivals too? My understanding of those end gates were C12, C18, C20, and C22 are used by WN, while AS uses C23. I don't think I've ever seen AS use any other end gate besides C23. Is C21 blocked?

C20 is used. I am not saying it isn't. But it doesn't start being used till much later in the night. Usually C18 starts receiving aircraft on Saturdays around 6:30PM.

AS and WN both share C20 and C22 depending on schedules.
C21 is used by US and is used for the 8:45AM departure to PHX/ATL and fields the 7:45PM arrival from PHX/ORD.

Plus, D6/D8 doesn't have any equipment at all. The larger podiums are gone too, I think. What is currently blocking D6/D8? DL GSE?

I'm not aware of what is actually terminal side of D6/D8. But in terms of ramp side, the last time I looked, it had a good set of LD3s and some random GSE from assorted airlines. D8 was mostly clean (save a few bag loaders), D6 was more in need of clean-up. As far as what is there currently, I am unsure.

By the way, regarding the F9 change to C10, this could have something to do with the closer offices on the ground level as well. (Though I don't know where the offices actually are but C10 has direct access to ground level offices, C8 does not) Also, C8 is going back to a common use F9/AS gate as AS is running a little tight on gates during some of the current blocks. Additionally, one of the cut WN flights from PDX would normally use C18 for arrival so I am unsure how the WN RONs will be working starting in November. Additionally, it is worth noting that the chairs for the departure area at C1 came from the AS seats at C23 (which were replaced with ones from the B boarding area). The B gates now have about 10 less sets of chairs. Not a big difference.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 10):
C20 has held a couple of AS departures during IROPs to my knowledge
C20 is used. I am not saying it isn't. But it doesn't start being used till much later in the night. Usually C18 starts receiving aircraft on Saturdays around 6:30PM.

Ah, I see. I take it that AS has equipment at C20? I'll need to look next time I am at PDX.

C21 is used by US and is used for the 8:45AM departure to PHX/ATL and fields the 7:45PM arrival from PHX/ORD.

Didn't they use C19 for an early morning (5:30?) PHX flight as well? Now I see that C19 has an 8:35 AM flight to PHL. Do they only use C21 seasonally?

I'm not aware of what is actually terminal side of D6/D8.

Both gate areas are completely empty. The chairs, podiums, and signage are all gone. It is simply a carpeted floor.

By the way, regarding the F9 change to C10, this could have something to do with the closer offices on the ground level as well. (Though I don't know where the offices actually are but C10 has direct access to ground level offices, C8 does not)

I am not sure either but you are probably right.

Also, C8 is going back to a common use F9/AS gate as AS is running a little tight on gates during some of the current blocks.

Interesting; is AS going to need to lease more gates, or will C8 be enough? I remember it was once the opposite when F9 used C8:

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 2):
I do recall arriving into PDX on an Alaska RON, and we parked at C10. This was in December of 2009
Additionally, it is worth noting that the chairs for the departure area at C1 came from the AS seats at C23 (which were replaced with ones from the B boarding area). The B gates now have about 10 less sets of chairs. Not a big difference.

Interesting; where did C1's chairs go when the gate was first closed?

alasizon

Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:30 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 11):
Interesting; where did C1's chairs go when the gate was first closed?

No idea. Though I know for a while the B gates were quite sparse on chairs (before the B gates were used for departures again).

Ah, I see. I take it that AS has equipment at C20? I'll need to look next time I am at PDX.

AS doesn't have any equipment specifically at C20, it is usually hauled over from another gate (B2 I believe is the common choice)

Interesting; is AS going to need to lease more gates, or will C8 be enough? I remember it was once the opposite when F9 used C8:

I don't think AS will need any more gates as it just seems to be an issue maybe once a day (some days not at all). Technically there is nothing stopping them from using the B gates full time. I just know C8 will go back to full common use and that AS may use it when needed.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 12):
(before the B gates were used for departures again).

Why is that?

AS doesn't have any equipment specifically at C20, it is usually hauled over from another gate (B2 I believe is the common choice)
I don't think AS will need any more gates as it just seems to be an issue maybe once a day (some days not at all).

Ah, I see.

Technically there is nothing stopping them from using the B gates full time.

Is it because of the close proximity to A1? I recall B1 and B2 are frequently used during the morning rush.

I see you know a lot about PDX, do you work there? You may find another PDX thread of mine to be interesting:
Current/Future PDX Service (by AlnessW Jul 25 2011 in Aviation Polls)

alasizon

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:04 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 13):
do you work there

Sadly, no. I just happen to commonly connect through PDX (I choose PDX over SEA when I am connecting).

Why is that?

I am not sure.

Is it because of the close proximity to A1? I recall B1 and B2 are frequently used during the morning rush.

I think more so it is because the C concourse is the nicer facility and if I recall correctly, pushing from B1 and B2 is awkward. Though we may see increased use now that the baggage sorting tent is gone.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 14):
Sadly, no. I just happen to commonly connect through PDX (I choose PDX over SEA when I am connecting).

Ah, I see.

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 14):
I think more so it is because the C concourse is the nicer facility and if I recall correctly, pushing from B1 and B2 is awkward. Though we may see increased use now that the baggage sorting tent is gone.

Really? I thought I remembered B1 and B2 being used frequently during the holiday travel. The bag sorting tent was still around then.

Also, do the larger UA podiums have bag tag printers? The small ones don't, and that's normally where UA agents check bags, so they need to handwrite tags. Do any large podiums in PDX print tags? I can't say I've ever seen it done before, with any other airline not just UA.

alasizon

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 15):
Really? I thought I remembered B1 and B2 being used frequently during the holiday travel. The bag sorting tent was still around then.

During holiday travel, every available gate is needed and I would surmise that the B gates are actually preferred to be used in addition to the C gates during those periods so that the crowds don't build up as much in C.

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 15):
Also, do the larger UA podiums have bag tag printers? The small ones don't, and that's normally where UA agents check bags, so they need to handwrite tags. Do any large podiums in PDX print tags? I can't say I've ever seen it done before, with any other airline not just UA.

I believe the WN ones at C13/C15 have them. I also believe that some of the AS ones have them. If I recall correctly as well, the A12 (or it might have been A10) podium has a printer that services the entire QX operation and can be printed from any of the podiums.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 16):
During holiday travel, every available gate is needed and I would surmise that the B gates are actually preferred to be used in addition to the C gates during those periods so that the crowds don't build up as much in C.

That would make sense. Is holiday travel bigger than summer travel?

I believe the WN ones at C13/C15 have them.

But not C14/C16? I have seen WN check bags on (100%) full flights before, though not very often it seems seeing as you can check two bags for free to begin with.

I also believe that some of the AS ones have them.

Why would AS need them? I've never seen them check a bag at the gate before. They don't even offer to do it. Their official policy (I think) is that you can pay $25 to check a bag at the podium, BUT if you are boarding and the bins are full, THEN they'll check it through for free. And in that instance (which I haven't experienced before on AS) they wouldn't even need printers because they'd be scribbling tags in the jetbridge.

If anything, airlines like DL or UA need them. They routinely offer to check bags free of charge at the gate, and I think it would be a lot less work for the agents just to click a few buttons on their computer instead of having to write one out each time. The printed tags are also neater and more professional-looking, IMO.

Does UA have printers at the big podiums? If so, they should use them!  

flashmeister

Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Quoting AdmiralRitt (Reply 6):

It is not suprising there are unused gates at PDX. A friend of mine who retired there says
that the state is very Anti-growth, not just to business but extra residents. And state policies
have dis-incentives for busineses to start up or move there. ... I can forsee Oregon losing a congressional seat during the next census in 2020.

As a lifelong Oregonian, I have to respectfully disagree with your retiree friend and dispute your assertions. Unused gates at PDX have much more to do with the economy than the state's position on growth. For the record, the state's population has grown at a faster rate than the national average in every year since the early 1970s (with the exception of a few years in the early 80s). Between 2000 and 2010, the state grew 12%, where the US growth average was 9.7%. Private nonfarm employment rose 9.4%, compared to 6% nationally. Clearly, the state is not the bastion of antigrowth sentiment, either on the basis of population or business. Moreover, projections from 2010 to 2020 show this trend continuing, making it very unlikely that we'd lose a representative the next time around.

It is true that Oregon's economy tends to lag that of the rest of the country -- our recessions tend to be deeper and longer than other areas of the country, and average wages are lower (as is, generally, the cost of living). These conditions have far more to do with the empty gates at PDX than our supposedly anti-growth tactic. (And, as a land use planner, I have to say that we're not anti-growth: we're anti-haphazard-growth, which many people take to be the same thing.)

alasizon

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 17):
That would make sense. Is holiday travel bigger than summer travel?

Holiday travel is subject to high peaks and more delays while summer travel is more spread out.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 19):
Holiday travel is subject to high peaks and more delays while summer travel is more spread out.

Ah, I see.
Now, do you happen to know anything about this?:

I also believe that some of the AS ones have them.

Why would AS need them? I've never seen them check a bag at the gate before. They don't even offer to do it. Their official policy (I think) is that you can pay $25 to check a bag at the podium, BUT if you are boarding and the bins are full, THEN they'll check it through for free. And in that instance (which I haven't experienced before on AS) they wouldn't even need printers because they'd be scribbling tags in the jetbridge.

If anything, airlines like DL or UA need them. They routinely offer to check bags free of charge at the gate, and I think it would be a lot less work for the agents just to click a few buttons on their computer instead of having to write one out each time. The printed tags are also neater and more professional-looking, IMO.

alasizon

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 am

But not C14/C16? I have seen WN check bags on (100%) full flights before, though not very often it seems seeing as you can check two bags for free to begin with.

I am not sure about C12/C14/C16.

As far as AS needing them, I don't know. I don't even know if they use them, I just know they exist. (or did the last time I was there)

As far as UA goes, I am not a UA frequent flier but I would assume that at least one gate has one. (Most likely E3). Though thinking about it, I would guess that the E6/E7 basement most likely has them too because E120s and CR2s aren't exactly the most baggage volume friendly aircraft.

flypdx

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 am

Quote:

When I've flown UA through PDX almost, if not always, the gate agent(s) have worked exclusively from the boarding door podiums. This seems to be a somewhat common UA occurrence (in my experience) to have one or two agents working at the door and no one at the center podiums. I started noticing it years ago (cost cutting perhaps?) and have noticed it at other airports as well.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 21):
As far as AS needing them, I don't know. I don't even know if they use them, I just know they exist. (or did the last time I was there)

I am fairly confident that AS doesn't use them, which is why I think the Port should send those printers over to UA, AA, etc.

As far as UA goes, I am not a UA frequent flier but I would assume that at least one gate has one.

Ah, I see. I, on the other hand, often fly UA out of PDX and have yet to see them print tags or use the large podiums. Though I remember you mentioning that they sometimes use the big podiums for 757s...

Most likely E3

Why E3?

Though thinking about it, I would guess that the E6/E7 basement most likely has them too because E120s and CR2s aren't exactly the most baggage volume friendly aircraft.

They use different tags for bags checked on RJs. On full MAINLINE flights, the agent either prints a tag or writes out an "Interline Manual" bag tag, and the bag is tagged, checked through to the final destination, and handled just like a regular checked bag. This practice is not used for RJs. With RJ, the agent gives you a special "Gate Check" tag (usually a bright color) which you put on your rollaboard and leave it at the door of the aircraft. These bags do go in with the checked luggage, but are immediately unloaded upon arrival and are reclaimed upon disembarkation. So if you "gate check" a bag for a RJ flight, you still have to claim it if you have a connection to make. Printed tags are never used in this practice.

Quoting flypdx (Reply 22):
When I've flown UA through PDX almost, if not always, the gate agent(s) have worked exclusively from the boarding door podiums. This seems to be a somewhat common UA occurrence (in my experience) to have one or two agents working at the door and no one at the center podiums. I started noticing it years ago (cost cutting perhaps?) and have noticed it at other airports as well.

I have yet to see UA agents in PDX use the large podiums. I wonder why.

I only see it in PDX however, whereas at UA hubs such as SFO, DEN, and even BOS the agents there use both the large and small podiums.

alasizon

Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:25 am

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 23):
Why E3?

Because E3 would be the center of the E concourse and additionally E3 used to be the most active UA gate.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 24):
Because E3 would be the center of the E concourse and additionally E3 used to be the most active UA gate.

Theoretically, yes. I remember for a while that E3 was used almost exclusively by B6, back when UA did their ticket counter and ramp.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:22 am

Updates!

I flew UA to SFO a few days ago, and learned some new things:

First off, the gate agents, like normal, only used the small podium at the boarding door and not the large one. We were departing out of E1, and the large E1/E2 podium had signs that directed people to the small podiums for assistance. I asked the agent why this is. She told me that due to a limited staff at PDX, the agents find it easier to consolidate their gate operations to the small podium, as the extra space at the large ones isn't needed.

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 20):
I am not a UA frequent flier but I would assume that at least one gate has one. (Most likely E3).

I looked behind the E3 podium and did not see a bag tag printer. (Do they look any different from the boarding pass printers...?) Most of the other podiums didn't look like they had them, either. But on that note...

The 757 was completely full, so naturally they offered to check bags. I did so, and the agents were handwriting tags just like always. I asked that same agent about bag tag printers. She said that the large podiums do NOT have printers. However, she did tell me that there are plans to replace the boarding door podiums with some newer, more "elaborate" ones, which will include bag tag printers.    In fact, the podium at E5 looked like it had been already replaced with a newer one.

I also walked to the international concourse to see what was happening there. DL was boarding a (domestic) flight out of D11. But I noticed that D12 (I think... It might've been D14) podium had been completely gutted; there was nothing behind the counter except for a bunch of wires.

Also, D6 and D8 have been COMPLETELY gutted. There is literally nothing there at all. No chairs, no signs, and no podiums of any kind. Just a big carpeted room with the boarding doors marked D6 and D8.

But D2 now has chairs! There is also a large (but not small) podium, but I think that's always been there...

bjorn14

Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:53 am

If you lease a gate does the airport charge you extra for a RON at that gate?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

alasizon

Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 27):
If you lease a gate does the airport charge you extra for a RON at that gate?

For PDX specifically I can not speak but generally, you are charged the same (or very similar) for a RON as you are for a normal flight (parking fees, jet bridge use, etc).

Quoting alnessw (Reply 26):
But D2 now has chairs! There is also a large (but not small) podium, but I think that's always been there...

Why on earth would D2 need chairs? It has been a construction zone for forever.

However, she did tell me that there are plans to replace the boarding door podiums with some newer, more "elaborate" ones, which will include bag tag printers. In fact, the podium at E5 looked like it had been already replaced with a newer one.

That is good news.

She told me that due to a limited staff at PDX, the agents find it easier to consolidate their gate operations to the small podium, as the extra space at the large ones isn't needed.

Quite odd. I was not under the impression UA was a little short staffed at PDX. I would think it would make more sense to make all announcements and answer all questions at the big podium and then when the time came for boarding, one agent goes over to the small podium to scan boarding passes while one agent remains at the big podium to answer questions (as this way they can still access the computer system).

AlnessW
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 28):
For PDX specifically I can not speak but generally, you are charged the same (or very similar) for a RON as you are for a normal flight (parking fees, jet bridge use, etc).

That would make sense.

You are correct on both accounts. I have no idea, either.

That is good news.

Isn't it? Looking at how many people voluntarily wanted to check their bags on my flight, things could DEFINITELY be sped up with some printers.

I was not under the impression UA was a little short staffed at PDX.

Look at their ticket counter and all the kiosks they have there! Though I suppose that could be said about nearly any airline's check-in operation in the US...    Also, I think things could definitely be sped up at the gate (with shorter lines, too) if there were some agents at the big podiums to answer questions, etc.

I would think it would make more sense to make all announcements and answer all questions at the big podium and then when the time came for boarding, one agent goes over to the small podium to scan boarding passes while one agent remains at the big podium to answer questions (as this way they can still access the computer system).

As stated above, this system seems much more efficient to me, too.

n7371f

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:18 am

Overflow for D4 and the Hawaiian 767-300 flight?

alasizon

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 30):

There is a large amount of space between the two departure lounges as I recall. I believe there is a set of restrooms as well as an entrance down to the tarmac (requiring an SIDA badge) and to some offices as well. Or that may be my memory and that might be between D4 and D6.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 30):

That is possible.

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 31):
There is a large amount of space between the two departure lounges as I recall. I believe there is a set of restrooms as well as an entrance down to the tarmac (requiring an SIDA badge) and to some offices as well.

The space you're thinking of is between D4 and D6. There are restrooms there, a Starbucks, a Wendy's, etc etc.

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 31):
Or that may be my memory and that might be between D4 and D6.

Now, some news on NK!

The FlyPDX website now has NK listed on their terminal map. Their ticket counter will be in the very south lobby, past AS and HA's counters, in that big empty section of unused counters. (Where LH and/or NW used to be?) Not sure how many they'll need.

The map also shows that NK will be in the D concourse. This suggests that they'll probably be using D6/D8. The other options would be D2 (not very likely unless they were to move the construction debris over to D6/D8    ), or somewhere in the international gates (also doesn't seem likely).

So that probably means that D6 and D8 are going to get cleaned up. Is there anything currently blocking the jet bridges or ramps? As I stated earlier the departure lounges of both gates have absolutely nothing in them, so that's obviously going to change.  

Now, on that note...

Honestly, who really wants to pay for overhead bin space, printing a boarding pass, or even a glass of water?    Seems to me that if you're going to Vegas, you're going to be spending enough money as it is.  

alasizon

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Quoting alnessw (Reply 32):
Is there anything currently blocking the jet bridges or ramps?

To my knowledge, the only "stuff" there is a bunch of excess DL ground equipment along with some (there were a couple tow bars and some airstairs last time I looked but these may have been moved) old equipment from airlines that no longer serve PDX or from aircraft that no longer serve PDX.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 33):
To my knowledge, the only "stuff" there is a bunch of excess DL ground equipment along with some (there were a couple tow bars and some airstairs last time I looked but these may have been moved) old equipment from airlines that no longer serve PDX or from aircraft that no longer serve PDX.

Interesting. Do you think that NK will move into D6/D8?

alasizon

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Quoting alnessw (Reply 34):
Interesting. Do you think that NK will move into D6/D8?

I think that would be a good move. Though considering the location of their ticket counters, C might be a better bet. I don't know. I hope it is D because D needs some more traffic badly.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 35):
Though considering the location of their ticket counters, C might be a better bet.

Not according to PDX. Check out this terminal map:
PDX_Terminal_Map.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.portofportland.com/PDX_Terminal_Map.aspx

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 35):
I hope it is D because D needs some more traffic badly.

True, it feels like a ghost town in many locations, especially the international concourse.