Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

FCC License For A&P

Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi all. I am thinking of enrolling in an online FCC prep course for elements 1, 3, and 8 (radar). The courses will consist of instruction in theory in addition to practice tests. I will have access to a real life tutor/instructor for advice and feedback. My tuition reimbursement will be minimal from my present employer, so I will be footing most of the bill. I have heard from many people that due to the deep theory behind many of the test questions, one basically has to memorize the test questions and answers to pass. I would not benefit monetarily at my current position by obtaining the FCC certification. If I obtain it hopefully I will learn something in the process and help my resume at the same time.
What are your thoughts on shooting for an FCC ticket in this day and age? Is it worth the time and money to hopefully pass a test geared mainly toward non aviation subject matter? Do airlines still look favorably on Airframe and Powerplant mechs having an FCC, or has the FCC become obsolete with the NCAT tests? I am all for learning new things and not letting my knowledge stagnate. I would appreciate any insight you may have to offer. Thanks!

737tdi

RE: FCC License For A&P

Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:30 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Thread starter):
Do airlines still look favorably on Airframe and Powerplant mechs having an FCC,

If you are trying to obtain an FCC license to help in getting on with an airline it will be a waste of your time and money. I can honestly say that in the 30+ years in aircraft maintenance that an FCC license would have made zero difference in obtaining a job I was after. Also keep in mind that most airlines pay a license premium but it is usually only for a maximum of 2 licenses, i.e. Airfame and Powerplant, so no pay for the FCC.

With that said, if you want the knowledge go for it. As you said though the qualifications are not directed at aviation.

737tdi

stratosphere

Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 1):
If you are trying to obtain an FCC license to help in getting on with an airline it will be a waste of your time and money. I can honestly say that in the 30+ years in aircraft maintenance that an FCC license would have made zero difference in obtaining a job I was after. Also keep in mind that most airlines pay a license premium but it is usually only for a maximum of 2 licenses, i.e. Airfame and Powerplant, so no pay for the FCC.

I agree with this statement. When I worked for NW a lot of guys got the FCC so they could bid an avionics crew or [email protected] as UAL and NWA used to call it. It can broaden your options . However, as 737 said generally it makes no difference in actually getting hired somewhere. If you can swing it fine it always is an addition to your resume. But schools like Sparten sold a lot of guys on the avionics with no [email protected] and that was a hindrance for some guys the [email protected] is most important. Also he is right you only get paid for 2 tickets and an [email protected] is two right there.

EMBQA

Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Quoting UAL Bagsmasher (Thread starter):
Do airlines still look favorably on Airframe and Powerplant mechs having an FCC,

As one that has my A&P and FCC.. I've never used it...never been asked for it...never been a factor. Airlines don't really care about it. They need someone that can trouble shoot and read wiring manuals and diagrams. I would not waste my money or time.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks for the insight guys. After thinking it over and reading your posts, I think I'll put that money into my rainy day fund instead.