Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KAL7478
Topic Author

Category Of Turbulence

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Opinions and or thoughts on the type of turbulence experienced on this Jet Blue flight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te1lwciuKnl

Thanks

Starlionblue

RE: Category Of Turbulence

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:24 am

Video not working.

However this might help:

FAA description of turbulence types:

TURBULENCE INTENSITY

a. Light Chop. Slight, rapid, and somewhat rhythmic bumpiness without appreciable changes in altitude or attitude.

b. Light Turbulence. Slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude. Occupants may feel a slight strain against seatbelts. Unsecured objects may be displaced slightly. Food service may be conducted and little to no difficulty walking.

c. Moderate Chop. Rapid bumps or jolts without appreciable changes in aircraft altitude or attitude.

d. Moderate Turbulence. Changes in altitude and/or attitude occur, but the aircraft remains in positive control at all times. It usually causes variations in indicated airspeed. Occupants feel definite strain against seatbelts, unsecured objects are dislodged, and food service and walking are difficult.

e. Severe. Large, abrupt changes in altitude and/or attitude. Usually causes large variations in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be momentarily out of control. Occupants are forced violently against seatbelts, unsecured objects are tossed about, and food service and walking are impossible.

f. Extreme. Aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. May cause structural damage.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

KAL7478
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:59 am

Sorry about the video, I very much appreciate the info. I flew back to toronto last week from dubai and turbulence near Greenland moved the A380 more than I expected. Got curious about the different levels of chop.
Thanks again mate...

Viscount724

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:21 am

There were several reports of severe turbulence over Canada's east coast in Monday's and Tuesday's Transport Canada daily occurrence summary.

AFR322, an Air France Airbus 340-300 enroute from Paris (LFPG) to Boston (KBOS), reported occasional severe turbulence at Flight Level 380 approximately 30 nm south of Stephenville (CYJT).

BAW14G, a British Airways Boeing 747-400 enroute from Boston (KBOS) to London (EGLL), reported intermittent severe Clear Air Turbulence (CAT) 30 nm south of Moncton (CYQM).

ACA176, an Air Canada Embraer 190 enroute from Montreal (CYUL) to Halifax (CYHZ), reported occasional severe Clear Air Turbulence (CAT) 15 nm south of Saint John (CYSJ).

QTR052, a Qatar Airways Boeing 777-300 enroute from Washington (KIAD) to Doha (OTBD), reported occasional severe turbulence 40 nm west of Saint John (CYSJ).

ETD150, an Etihad Airways Boeing 777-300 enroute from Chicago (KORD) to Abu Dhabi (OMAA), reported intermittent severe turbulence 40 nm north of Fredericton (CYFC).

BOS004, a Boeing 757-200 operated by Open Skies, enroute from Newark (KEWR) to Paris/Orly (LFPO) reported occasional moderate to severe turbulence at Flight Level 350 in the vicinity of 46 56 North 057 29 West.

Fly2HMO

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 am

Quoting KAL7478 (Reply 2):
Sorry about the video, I very much appreciate the info.

I saw it earlier this morning before it was moved to tech-ops. It looked like moderate chop to me.

Though I'm sure a lot of passengers thought they were about to die   

voiceofgoa

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:03 am

I was listening to Channel 9 pilot communication on a United flight a couple of days back from SEA to SFO. We were experiencing very mild chop and were expected to be in that regime (according to what gathered from the chatter). However, I was surprised that the pilot still requested change of altitude. Is this standard practice now, to avoid even the mildest turbulence if at all possible?

KAL7478
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 4):
I saw it earlier this morning before it was moved to tech-ops. It looked like moderate chop to me.

Though I'm sure a lot of passengers thought they were about to die

I know   , EK241 never got that bad but judging by the info from Viscount724 (thanks) I'm not surprised crossing the pond was so bumpy.
By the way for those who have not seen the JET BLUE clip it is still available under "turbulence Jet Blue April 2011", One of the better turbulence clips around.

tdscanuck

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 am

Quoting voiceofgoa (Reply 5):
However, I was surprised that the pilot still requested change of altitude. Is this standard practice now, to avoid even the mildest turbulence if at all possible?

If you can without sacrificing schedule or fuel, why not? Most flight crews are far more concerned about passenger comfort than the passengers realize.

Tom.

voiceofgoa

Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:22 am

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 7):

I should add that the aircraft descended to 27,000 feet from 33,000 to avoid this light chop, so if anything that would increase fuel cost. (Given the relatively short flight, probably the difference was negligible?)

71Zulu

Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 am

Here's the video link again

http://youtu.be/te1lwciuKnI

Looks like Moderate Turbulence