channelhopper
Topic Author

Who Polices Cockpit Security?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 am

Post 9/11 security of the cockpit was understandably a priority, but years later, have airlines relaxing the rules, and what exactly are the rules and who enforces them?
I ask this as a recent passenger on a reputable LCC for a longish (4hours plus) interEurope flight, i noticed the co pilot coming out for a chat to the crew in the galley, and unaccountably to stare at the passengers though the little slit between the bulkhead and the curtain, on no less than four occasions, probably more, and the captain coming out on at least one occasion,but this was for a toilet visit. At least two of the cabin crew made reciprocal visits to the cockpit, not for a minute or so, but for at least 15 minutes on each occasion. Is this a common occurrence, and if so are airlines confident that a more relaxed attitude to cockpit security is more appropriate nowadays?

wilco737

RE: Who Polices Cockpit Security?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 am

Quoting channelhopper (Thread starter):

Looks like you really pay attention how long who is visiting and leaving the cockpit.

Well, I am senior FO on 744 and our flights are sometimes very long and I simply cannot sit on my seat for 10+ hours and I have to go to the toilete every once in a while as well.
We are allowed to get out of the cockpit for physical needs. So when I need to stretch my legs, I go out of the cockpit, when I need to go to the toilete, I do so.
The crew (FA's) are allowed into the cockpit and they do so. Sometimes more often, sometimes less often. But they are allowed to visit. And during phases of no service they don't have too much to do and can pay us a visit. And we have 14 FA's, so if one sits in the cockpit for 15 minutes, no problem.

The rules are still very tight. Only crew allowed into the cockpit. But final decision rests with the commander, but it is kept very tight.

wilco737

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 am

Very observant.......a bit too much in my opinion though...... 

The crew need to avoid DVT and cannot be seated in a position seat for long durations....The toilet visit is one such excuse.
regulations state that when a flying crew member leaves the flight deck,there will be a cabin crew in the flight deck just in case somrthing occurs with the remaining flying crew.

Since Flying crew know cabin crew well,the break can be used for a small chat.

However Out here during flight No unauthorised person is permitted to visit the flight deck/cockpit.Irrespective even if the commander wants to permit someone for non emergency reasons.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

m11stephen

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:39 am

Flight decks are still vulnerable to intrusion any time the flight deck door is open. Opening it should be done only when absolutely necessary. The article, "How to Hijack an airplane in Three Seconds" has a lot of great information on this subject.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

georgewall42

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:09 am

There's always going to be holes somewhere in the airplane security umbrella. At some point, we may as well stop operating commercial airlines and go back to the horse and buggy.

pilotpip

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:00 am

Then we would have to guard against banditos all over again.
DMI

HAWK21M

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:51 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 3):
Flight decks are still vulnerable to intrusion any time the flight deck door is open. Opening it should be done only when absolutely necessary

Thats the main reason why the crew is extra alert around that time & watch the Pax more closely.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

aeroflop

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 3):
Flight decks are still vulnerable to intrusion any time the flight deck door is open.

When i paxed on a 777, I asked the captain if I could occupy the jumpseat for the whole flight. Was no problem because I was working for that airline at that time (in a non pilot role). The cockpit is also curtained off, so the pax cant see when the door is opened etc. The pilot who will remain in the cockpit also monitors the outside cameras when the door is open.

Btw this is far away from US airpspace. I was told that on flight in US airspace only aircrew are allowed in the flight deck.