karamara
Topic Author

Headset Sharing.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:03 pm

More of a working trend question rather than technical ops, do commercial pilots get issued their own headsets by the airline or these are cockpit equipment and are shared by all crew who fly that particular aircraft? How are the hygiene issues managed if they are shared?

Thx

IAHFLYR

RE: Headset Sharing.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm not an airline pilot, but the guys I know who are have their own headsets they use. I know when I fly privately I always bring my own headsets.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

tb727

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 pm

We have a few sets on each airplane as communal headsets. I'd say there are usually about 5 pair for use by jumpseaters, mechaincs, Feds or crewmembers. Only about 30% of our guys don't have their own headset. The airplanes sets range from the uncomfortable "clamps" that look like they are from a 1930's telephone operator to brand new Telex 760's which are pretty nice. As far as hygiene goes, yeah, I don't think they ever get cleaned. We do have alcohol wipes to wipe stuff down but it's hard to clean foam ear pads. I've been using the ship's sets since I upgraded last summer but my custom molded earpiece finally came in the other day for my left ear for my Telex PEV-77 and I'm excited to finally use it flying next week.

When I flew 135 my company required that we bought a Telex 5x5 through them when we hired on. It is the worst designed, most uncomfortable headset in the history of aviation and I am pretty sure I have hearing damage from using them. It was a joyous day that I sat on them and broke them and started sneaking some 750's I got from NW. In the Falcon we were allowed to use our own and I used my trusty old David Clark 10-13.4's with our intercom, it was really nice.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Daleaholic

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:29 pm

Most of the flight crew I come into contact with bring their own headsets.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

LHRjc

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 pm

We have 3 headsets on each aircraft (A320), 1 each for the pilots and 1 spare or for the jumpseat. I don't know of anyone in my airline who has their own. The aircraft headsets are Sennheiser HME26 with ANR.

We have a box of antiseptic wipes in the crew room and on the aircraft to give them a good clean, and are also supplied with our own supply of windpops for the microphone.

I've not died yet, so presume the wipes are doing their job!
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

JBirdAV8r

Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:39 pm

It varies from airline to airline. My airline does provide David Clark headsets as "ships' sets," and some guys use them, but I don't particularly care for them (they don't call them David Clamps for nothing, as well as hygiene reasons). I fly with my 10-year-old Bose X. I don't even turn the ANR on.

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 4):
We have a box of antiseptic wipes in the crew room and on the aircraft to give them a good clean,

Best things ever. I always wipe down the yoke and thrust levers, and occasionally the oxygen mask and checklist. Sitting in a tube with tons of different people all day long really made (forced) me to appreciate the value of being a germophobe. I even flew with one guy who carried an industrial-sized spray can of Lysol and doused everything before settling in.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Starlionblue

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 am

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 5):
Best things ever. I always wipe down the yoke and thrust levers, and occasionally the oxygen mask and checklist. Sitting in a tube with tons of different people all day long really made (forced) me to appreciate the value of being a germophobe. I even flew with one guy who carried an industrial-sized spray can of Lysol and doused everything before settling in.

Unless you have particular allergies or very sensitive skin I would say a can of Lysol is overkill. Our bodies are built to handle germs. Unless you plan to lick the yoke.  

Seen from a wider perspective, the widespread use of antibacterials is becoming a big problem, as more and more antibiotic bacterial strains are evolving.

But I digress.

I've never had a problem with a shared headset, sitting in an airline seat that has obviously been pre-used, or flying a plane that has just been landed by someone else, though I do appreciate when the previous occupant has at least taken out the trash.

[Edited 2013-03-29 17:58:23]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

blueflyer

Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 4):
The aircraft headsets are Sennheiser HME26 with ANR.

Are you sure it isn't the HMEC26?
The HME26 is a broadcast (radio/tv) headset without ANR, although I suppose if a carrier wanted them, they could get them anyway.
All Hail King Donald

LHRjc

Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 7):
Are you sure it isn't the HMEC26

sorry, typo. Yes indeed the HMEC26. We used to use the HMEC46 but have upgraded to the 26. Much better.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

CosmicCruiser

Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:15 pm

We had headsets for every crew position in the cockpit and a couple of yrs ago they replaced the old Telex with noise canceling Telex. Good headsets, I thought. I would say only about 10% of the pilots carried their own. Some had been using the Bose aviation sets prior to the co. supplying the newer sets so they continued to use their own. Sani-Com wipes are supplied for cleaning the book mike and any other switches you wish.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 am

sorry typo....BOOM mikes....just caught it.