readytotaxi
Topic Author

Pilots, Your Clock In Time Pls?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:11 pm

I am curious as to what time crew are expected to arrive at "the office" prior to departure?

Are flight crew expected before cabin crew?
Does a long haul flight require greater prep that med-short haul?
Do airlines operate a similar prep to each other?
Welcome your insight to these "behind the scenes" preparations.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Boeing77W

RE: Pilots, Your Clock In Time Pls?

Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Within Europe the minimum legal time is 45 minutes prior to departure. However this obviously doesn't allow much time to for crew to prepare and head out to the aircraft. Ryanair use 45 minutes but I know most of their crew arrive earlier. From my knowledge of UK airlines, it seems standard report time is an hour, some airlines will increase this time if it's a training flight. I usually arrive about 10 minutes prior to my report.

Cabin crew usually report at the same time.

Afraid I can't speak for the long haul guys and girls!

tb727

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:34 pm

At my place of work, we get a 2 hour prior to taxi call out for a trip, must be at the plane 30 minutes prior to taxi time although I try and get to the airport 45-60 minutes prior if I can. We are on call 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. It's freight so no cabin crew.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

doug_or

Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 2):
At my place of work, we get a 2 hour prior to taxi call out for a trip, must be at the plane 30 minutes prior to taxi time although I try and get to the airport 45-60 minutes prior if I can. We are on call 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. It's freight so no cabin crew.

Just to clarify, your report time isn't 2 prior, is it?
When in doubt, one B pump off

CosmicCruiser

Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:48 am

Where I was it was a showtime of 1 hr prior to blockout regardless of long or short or int'l or dom.

modesto2

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:58 am

When I was flying for a regional carrier in the U.S., the crew (captain, first officer, flight attendant) would arrive at the gate about 30 minutes prior to departure. We operated some very short routes (DALIAH) and some longer ones (IAHYYZ). Regardless of the length, we usually needed about the same amount of time. If it's a longer flight, one might need a bit more time to check the routing and weather. Also, we may need a bit more time to brief a complicated departure procedure when departing Mexico. Long-haul crews will definitely arrive at the aircraft earlier, and I've noticed those cockpit crews may arrive at the gate about an hour prior to departure.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:27 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 2):
We are on call 24 hours a day, 6 days a week. It's freight so no cabin crew.

24 hour on call is illegal. Which airline is this?

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

tb727

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:19 am

Quoting doug_Or (Reply 3):
Just to clarify, your report time isn't 2 prior, is it?

No, that's the notification of the trip to get ready and head in. We are very unique compared to the rest of the industry.

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 6):
24 hour on call is illegal. Which airline is this?

Yeah, believe it or not it is, it's a grey area and it's been done for decades 121 supplementals doing ad hoc charter. I didn't say I liked it! What makes it worse is we thought with the new rest rules it was going to go away, nope, 121 sup will be exempt as of now because of big money from the heavy haulers in MEM and SDF.

Max Q

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:50 am

One hour domestic, 90 minutes for an international flight requiring plotting.

This is at the briefing / weather room. Supposed to be in the seat 30 minutes before push.

There is no 'clock in' but if you don't show up fairly soon after these limits the other Pilot will
call scheduling and they will call out a reserve.

It's very bad if you get to push time without a crewmember and it will be a major problem for the
Pilot involved.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

KAUSpilot

Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:02 am

I receive an automatic wakeup call through a company issued cellular tablet 3 hours prior to departure. I am expected to be on a transport to the airport 2 hours prior to departure. I am at the airport no later than 90 minutes prior to departure. I am usually on the flight deck no later than 75 minutes prior to departure. This is for a 747 operation, usually international. On the ERJ we just had to be on the airplane 30 minutes prior to departure and were on our own aside from that.

[Edited 2013-11-24 21:11:21]

airbuster

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:26 am

1h05 before off block for short haul, 1h15 med haul and 1h30 long haul. That's at base. At outstations different times apply.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

ZBBYLW

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 am

At home base 1hour 15 prior to push... If you are on reserve it's a 2 hour call out (3 h 15 m prior to push) however you can list your self for short call if you live close to the airport.

For layovers we are given a specific pick up time from the hotel. People high above my pay grade figure out correct times for your pick up, which means you end up at the airport anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes prior to push.
Keep the shinny side up!

YWG

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:26 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 2):
We are on call 24 hours a day, 6 days a week

That cuts pretty deep into the drinking time!
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

FighterPilot

Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:56 am

Company SOP has us in 45 min prior to departure. All our bases are in smaller towns, YRL, YXL, YQT, so traffic is usually not an issue. Usually it's a 5 min drive to the airport.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

Mir

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 7):
Yeah, believe it or not it is, it's a grey area and it's been done for decades

It's not really a grey area. But the FAA has been quite willing to look the other way on the idea that rest must be known about in advance.

Quoting YWG (Reply 12):
That cuts pretty deep into the drinking time!

When your minimum rest is 10 hours and your alcohol policy is 12 hours, there is no drinking time to cut into.  

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CosmicCruiser

Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 7):
121 sup will be exempt as of now because of big money from the heavy haulers in MEM and SDF.

Please be reminded that the heavy hauler in MEM is a Dom/Flag carrier and does still do sup charters. At no time that I can ever recall was anyone ever on 24 hr call status. We have/had (I've been gone almost 1 yr now) what was called R24 which was a reserve line that gave you a 24 hr notice of a flight and reserve lines that were on call thru the night and reserves on call during the day. Lots of senior guys would bid R24 just for the advance notice.

tb727

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Quoting CosmicCruiser (Reply 15):
Please be reminded that the heavy hauler in MEM is a Dom/Flag carrier and does still do sup charters. At no time that I can ever recall was anyone ever on 24 hr call status.

No it doesn't have to do with that, it has to do with cargo carriers being left out of the new rest rules. I don't know about FedEx but it seems we were hearing that UPS management is lobbying to keep it's rules now and keep pilots exempt from the upcoming new rules because it will have to hire more crews and they don't want to do that. The supp carriers that are doing these stupid on call schedules are the "mom and pop" type. I also forgot that the MEM one is Dom/Flag! I know National is changing from Supplemental to Flag.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:12 am

yeah, most of the pilots are more than a little miffed the cargo guys were left out. It obviously doesn't make sense at all. fatigue is fatigue. The MEM carrier can still use supp rules on charters but otherwise flag.