Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Flashlight For Line Mx

Sun May 11, 2014 9:03 am

Any suggestions on a effective/portable rechargable flashlight for line mx.....

Currently the Brightlite camelot is good but exploring better options.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Daleaholic

RE: Flashlight For Line Mx

Sun May 11, 2014 10:00 am

LED Lenser flashlights seemed to be popular when I saw engineers working.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Horstroad

Sun May 11, 2014 10:49 pm

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 1):
LED Lenser flashlights seemed to be popular when I saw engineers working.

Indeed. I own a personal P7.2 and H5 and we are provided with P7 by our employer.
I can highly recommend you the P7/P7.2 for everyday use and the H5 or H7.2 if you have to work hands-free often.
Here are their products. The ones with an 'R' (e.g. H7R) are rechargeable

LimaFoxTango

Mon May 12, 2014 3:36 am

Streamlight is pretty popular.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

T prop

Mon May 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Currently I use a Solar Force T1. It has 3 brightness modes with the brightest being just over 500 lumens. Things I like about this flashlight are:

- It size. I have it in my shirt pocket all the time I'm at work.
- It's rugged, I have dropped it a few times with no ill effects, the head is made of stainless steel.
- It produces a nice white beam using an aluminum light orange peel reflector and glass lens.
- Long battery run time, it uses a common 18650 lithium rechargeable battery combined with an efficient Cree XM-L LED
- Very bright on high relative to the size of the flashlight.
- It's cheap I think @ US $25.99. It's made in Hong Kong and is of high quality.
- It has a nice tough pocket clip that's made out of steel, once the light is clipped in your pocket it stays put.

You need to get your own 18650 batteries and a charger. When you buy 18650 batteries, watch out for inferior brands, there is a lot of junk out there. For this light I am using two 3100 mAh Orbtronic brand batteries, one in the light and one spare. The cells and protection circuit in these batteries are made by Panasonic in Japan. Since purchased, the same brand has come out with 3400 mAh batteries for even longer run time.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sale...roduct_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=569

[Edited 2014-05-12 07:58:27]

deltal1011man

Mon May 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Quoting hawk21m (Thread starter):

Streamlight stinger is a great light

Apprentice

Mon May 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi:
I had not worked yet in a company willing to provide me with a good flashlight and I work night shifts. My way is to use 3 different flashlights: a P7 ledlenser in my belt (do not pick a composite ledlenser, not sure but believe a L7, because caps use to get broken frequently) for final checks or a quick job, a cheap chinese creed rechargeable, 1200 lumens, for walk arounds and a headlight for hand on jobs.

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

DocLightning

Mon May 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Why not use one of those head lights that straps around your head (or helmet)? Hands-free operation.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

737tdi

Tue May 13, 2014 4:19 am

I use two different light sources.

1. A headlamp with a Cree led. It uses 3 AAA batteries, which the company supplies
2. A Streamlight Stinger DS led with charger and spare battery charge in one.

Using the headlamp I can easily illuminate the static wicks on the top of a 737 vertical stab.. I use it almost exclusively unless I need a larger volume of light which is where the Stinger comes in. The Stinger with the cradle and spare battery runs around $140 US and the headlamps cost around $15 US. I have been a mech. for 30+ years and personal lighting has come a long way in the past few years. Used to be your only good option was a Mag lite but no longer. Good luck.

planenut767

Wed May 14, 2014 2:42 am

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 5):
Streamlight stinger is a great light

That it was. I had the original one I bought 13 years ago. Just brought it home to retire it yesterday. My big gripe with it was the fact that it only had an hours charge and I always had to have an extra battery around. I replaced it with a another Streamlight about a few months ago. The model escapes me, but it's the size of a mini Mag light and runs of 2 AA batteries. Definitely as bright as and probably brighter than my old Stinger. Since it runs on AA's, no more waiting on the charger if I need a battery. Last week I picked up a larger and slightly brighter light from Craftsman as a backup. It also have a larger coverage area to (LED's aren't really good for adjusting the beam).

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 am

Interesting pointers folks.....

I noticed a few persons spoke of their own equipment, just wondering shouldn't personal equipment be forbidden for use under rregulation in a company.....was just wondering.

fr8mech

Wed May 14, 2014 11:38 am

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 10):
I noticed a few persons spoke of their own equipment, just wondering shouldn't personal equipment be forbidden for use under rregulation in a company.....was just wondering.

Around here, it is the norm rather than the exception that an AMT provide his own flashlight and common hand-tools.

While, I don't actively work the line anymore, I have a strange affinity towards flashlights. My favorite small handheld is the Mag-Lite LED XL-50. About $30 and something like 125 lumens. I have several of them. Work bag, gym bag, tool box, cars, junk drawer, wall safe and night stand. I carry one while running in the AM.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):
Why not use one of those head lights that straps around your head (or helmet)? Hands-free operation.

Plenty of folks use them for detail work, but they are areally impractical for a walk-around inspection or illuminating a general area.

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 8):
I have been a mech. for 30+ years and personal lighting has come a long way in the past few years.

I'm 25+ year and could not agree more. Mag-Lite was the class of the industry. Now, you have Streamlight, Pelican, and SureFire among many others.

[Edited 2014-05-14 04:43:20]
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

deltal1011man

Thu May 15, 2014 2:03 am

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 8):
1. A headlamp with a Cree led. It uses 3 AAA batteries, which the company supplies
2. A Streamlight Stinger DS led with charger and spare battery charge in one.

agree but i have a streamlight headlamp too.

Quoting planenut767 (Reply 9):
My big gripe with it was the fact that it only had an hours charge and I always had to have an extra battery around.

mine last longer than hour, maybe 3 to 4 hours on full bright.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):

because, headlights are good, but if your doing a walk around on a 744 at night in the rain, a headlight is going to be useless.
I always have my Stinger and Leatherman (and a pen) on me at all times. My headlight stays in my box for when I do some that requires more tooling than the above. (and which generally means ill need both hands also.)

737tdi

Thu May 15, 2014 3:43 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 11):
Plenty of folks use them for detail work, but they are areally impractical for a walk-around inspection or illuminating a general area.

I don't think I can post a commercial link but there are a couple of headlamps that have an unbelievable zoom/wide beam. The one I use can be zoomed so tight that you can actually see the outline of the Cree LED and can zoom out far enough to illuminate just about any work area. If you search "cree q5 led headlamp" it will be the greenish gray colored one that uses 3AAA batteries.

Interesting pointers folks.....

Hawk: Here in the US almost all aircraft mechanics own all of their own tools except specialty type tools like TQ. wrenches and manufacturer specific tooling. I probably have $10,000 invested in tools and storage which is not that hard to spend if you buy quality tools such as Snap-On, Mac, etc..

MD11Engineer

Thu May 15, 2014 8:13 pm

I used to use a rechargeable MagLite, but it's NiCd batteries fail after a few years of use and the halogen bulbs are first quite expensive, sensitive to impact and not very bright compared to modern LED lights.
Today I use a LEDLenser P7, which has the advantage that it, unlike my old MagLite, fits into my pocket, and a headlamp made by the Austrian mountaineering equipment manufacturer Petzl. This headlight has been designed for rescue workers and firefighters and has the advantage that it is certified safe for use in explosive gas atmospheres, so that I can use it legally and safely inside fuel tanks.

The drawback is that the P7 doesn't make a handy club in case I have to argue with rowdy passengers, as has happened before (two male passengers threatening a female flight attendant. I didn't have to use the MagLite, but my presence with it ready to use helped to calm down the situation).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun May 18, 2014 8:41 am

Quoting Fr8mech (Reply 11):
Around here, it is the norm rather than the exception that an AMT provide his own flashlight and common hand-tools
Quoting 737tdi (Reply 13):
Hawk: Here in the US almost all aircraft mechanics own all of their own tools except specialty type tools like TQ. wrenches and manufacturer specific tooling.

Out here one can be responsible for the equipment but has to be issued by the company...no personal stuff on the tarmac.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 14):
The drawback is that the P7 doesn't make a handy club in case I have to argue with rowdy passengers

Kickboxing works as good , then its followed by the tiewraps  

MD11Engineer

Sun May 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 15):
Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 14):
The drawback is that the P7 doesn't make a handy club in case I have to argue with rowdy passengers

Kickboxing works as good , then its followed by the tiewraps

Ever tried that in a forward galleys on a 737?  
I just had to prevent the two guys from hitting the hostie (and if theywould have done this, I would have wacked them with the MagLite) and to make sure that they didn't make a runner until the police arrived (both got arrested).

Here we use a mix of company supplied tools (e.g. a standard toolbox, calibrated tools and aircraft specific tools) and private tools (e.g. the torch). Private tools have to be engraved and listed in a tool list.

E.g. our sheetmetal foreman has a huge rolling tool cabinet with lots of tools he made himself for certain jobs (special dollies, um, bucking bars for a Americans). He is not going to throw tese tools away once the job is finished, the job might comwe up again.

Jan

737tdi

Wed May 21, 2014 7:05 am

Wow: Jan, that is amazing. I can not imagine how big that tool box must be. 2X, 3X, 4X rivet guns alone take a lot of room. Add the tools required??? I just don't think it is possible if a shop works everything???

comorin

Wed May 21, 2014 11:09 am

Quoting hawk21m (Thread starter):

I remember your thread from 2005! Amazing it has already been 9 years on A.net... Good luck, MEL!

Best Flashlights For Mx (by HAWK21M Sep 29 2005 in Tech Ops)?threadid=129132&searchid=226272&s=flashlight#ID226272

MD11Engineer

Thu May 22, 2014 3:39 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 17):
Wow: Jan, that is amazing. I can not imagine how big that tool box must be. 2X, 3X, 4X rivet guns alone take a lot of room. Add the tools required??? I just don't think it is possible if a shop works everything???

We are a small company for doing maintenance up to C-checks on a variety of transport category aircraft (from the 737 up to the 747, and, since a short time, also VIP aircraft), but our structures team is defintely a bonus for our company. They have been doing lots of big jobs, including re-skinning of aircraft, landing gear beam end fitting replacements on B747, 757 pylon mods and repairs for cracks, B747 section 41 tension tie repairs etc..

Jan

deltal1011man

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 16):
Private tools have to be engraved and listed in a tool list.

for me it is just knifes and leathermans and such. I don't think their is a requirement for all tools.

Though i highly recommend putting your employee number on your stuff. Helps if it gets up and walks away......and you see it walking away and the person who has it wants to say its their tool

"hmmm odd, the wrench is yours......yet you put MY employee number on it"

Hell employee number and name on your clothes is smart too. (just stuff like jackets/rain gear and vests.....rain gear loves to walk away, even though you can check it out in the tool room)

In the US its more of the norm for you to have your own stuff. However you can go to the tool room to get things like drills, rivet guns, screw knockers, calibrated equipment, screw guns, impacts etc.
Things like your own multimeters are "for reference only" and you need to go to the tool room for a calibrated one.

But your basic stuff, sockets, ratchets, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers etc you provide. I personally like it more so than the company providing tools because you get to pick your brand. I do like the idea of a tool allowance though  
Also some of the things in the tool room people have in their boxes. I have a few drills, a electric impact, electric screw gun, rivet gun, pneumatic screw gun etc.

but also great about the tool room is free batteries(my headlamp eats AAA batteries), drill bits and apex bits.

Horstroad

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:41 am

well, where I work private tools are not listed in a tool list. they are tolerated to some extent but have to be marked with your ID number and there are posters hanging around to be responsible and aware that this is not the offial way the company wants it.
also this only goes to the point where we use stuff to carry around in our pockets... a screwdriver, flashlight... maybe a monkey wrench. stuff that take longer to get from the tool store than the time you actually need it. everything else, like Deltal1011man says... screw guns, rivet guns, multimeters etc we always get from the tool store.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Quoting horstroad (Reply 21):
well, where I work private tools are not listed in a tool list. they are tolerated to some extent but have to be marked with your ID number and there are posters hanging around to be responsible and aware that this is not the offial way the company wants it.

How are personal tools accountability assured.....you take 4 to the tarmac and return with 3.....one ends up as FOD.....if you have engraved it, it will be traced to you, if not how is it traced back....are all tools checked for engraving and recorded.....seems tough for non official tools......

Horstroad

Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 am

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 22):
if you have engraved it, it will be traced to you, if not how is it traced back

There shouldn't be an 'if' as it is company policy that every tool, even private ones, has to be engraved. They are not recorded but if you run into an audit with unmarked tools, you have to face the consequences. We are all grown men (and women) and know of the responsibility we have.

fr8mech

Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:08 pm

How are personal tools accountability assured.....

It's called personal accountability. If I take a personal tool (one that I paid for) out on the ramp, you can bet your next paycheck that I'll be bringing it back. I've seen some pretty elaborate set-ups in line boxes and bags to ensure what goes out, comes back.

Are mistakes made? Sure, but not nearly as many as you'd suspect.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

737tdi

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:23 am

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 24):
It's called personal accountability. If I take a personal tool (one that I paid for) out on the ramp, you can bet your next paycheck that I'll be bringing it back. I've seen some pretty elaborate set-ups in line boxes and bags to ensure what goes out, comes back.

Totally agree, when you have to work and hour to pay for a wrench you are not going to leave it on an aircraft. I keep all of my sockets on twist locking rails which makes it readily visible that one is missing and my wrenches are in a custom wrench bag that all of the pockets have a wrench in them. With that said, screwdrivers, pliers, hammers are harder to account for, you just have to know your box of tools.

thebatman

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:03 am

I came across a line of flashlights called PowerTac. I have the E5 which is rated at 950 lumens. It's small, VERY bright, and has great battery life. I've had several technicians come and ask me - "hey, what kind of light is that?". They're not as expensive as Surefire or Streamlight, and I really like it.
Aircraft mechanics - because pilots need heroes too!

McLarenF1

Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:01 am

I would suggest a foursevens preon p2 if you want a really portable light and if you are okay with a larger one, one of the
4-7's maelstrom lights should be good.

deltal1011man

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:46 am

How are personal tools accountability assured.

well, for the most part people just have to be adult about things. One thing to remember is a good amount of US airline employees are exMilitary too.

Now, at a MRO that will bring in kids off the street? ehhhh but most people at the big airlines have been around and are mature enough to be trusted with it. Plus, for people like me who put real money into tools, you just can't afford to be careless with them. Snap-on, Mac, Matco tools cost way to much to have to be replaced all the time. 20 dollars a socket, 40 for a wrench etc....it all adds up quickly.

you take 4 to the tarmac and return with 3.....one ends up as FOD

But if you take 100 dollars of YOUR money out to the ramp
your generally going to keep a close eye on it.

I know that at my airline people treat company stuff a heck of a lot worse than they do their own. Heck just look at all the dents and such in the trucks/tugs on the ramp......

if you have engraved it, it will be traced to you, if not how is it traced back...

well if you don't do it, then it doesn't get tracked back to you.

The thing is most US airlines have a level of trust in its employees. I will say that I bet 90 to 95% of the people who carry a knife don't have an employee number on it, but most people also are smart enough to to a quick check before they leave the plane.

.are all tools checked for engraving and recorded.....seems tough for non official tools......

I have never been checked. The only reason we have to put anything on knives is if we take them in the cabin. (TSA/DHS thing)
But in theory a lead or foreman can check us. I would imagine the first time you would just get told to get it out of the plane
but I don't think they would be so nice the 2nd.

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 24):
Quoting 737tdi (Reply 25):

Exactly. I have mostly snap-on stuff.....You don't leave a 40 dollar wrench out on the ramp.

I mean yes, s**t happens, I have found a few tools in my time, but for the most part people know their box and check back over things as they go.
No one wants to tear into a plane to get a tool they left out.......but more importantly no one wants to leave a tool for it to become FOD and cost the company money or even worse.

Also, depending on what kind of work you do.....I normally do week to two week long visits, but most things we do require a inspector to sign it off before we close, so its another set of eyes.

Apprentice

Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Quoting horstroad (Reply 23):

It's another of the differences between aircraft maintenance here and mostly everywhere. Here You buy your tools, those one that will fit better to your needs and as good and expessive as only you decide. In Europe, for instance, tools are company property, some one decide what to buy for all mechs/avionics.
As many had stated, our tools are private property and of course, we take care of them. Their tools are company propierty and...
Working some time ago for a french company, they used outstanding Facom tool boxes, 3 types of them: Line Maintenance, Base Maintenance and Avionics, plus 1 with special tools for crimping etc. I can't remember how many tool boxes and single tools were missed no matter what procedure with locks, audits after shift etc, were implements.

Other difference, they do not understand/accept is that a professional mechanic (not an aviation maintenance engineer) aftter job is completed, will double check for tool inventory and everything related to job accomplished, before reported as done and signed

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:24 am

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 28):

I have never been checked. The only reason we have to put anything on knives is if we take them in the cabin. (TSA/DHS thing)
But in theory a lead or foreman can check us. I would imagine the first time you would just get told to get it out of the plane
but I don't think they would be so nice the 2nd.
Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 28):

But if you take 100 dollars of YOUR money out to the ramp
your generally going to keep a close eye on it.

I know that at my airline people treat company stuff a heck of a lot worse than they do their own. Heck just look at all the dents and such in the trucks/tugs on the ramp......

The checking by the Engineering team not security personnell......
Also the idea of engraving is to ensure traceability in case one goes missing and the owner was not aware.....however dedicated he may be....mistakes happen...thats what it caters to counter.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:52 am

Quoting Apprentice (Reply 29):
It's another of the differences between aircraft maintenance here and mostly everywhere. Here You buy your tools, those one that will fit better to your needs and as good and expessive as only you decide. In Europe, for instance, tools are company property, some one decide what to buy for all mechs/avionics.

Some European airlines (e.g. Ryanair and several British MROs) require their technical staff to buy personal toolboxes, but the airline issues a list of what they expect mechanic / engineer to own. They have to be engraved withthe owner's name or initials and are recoded in a tool list for quality to check.
This is also common among freelance aircraft techs, who move from place to place, earning very well, and who are used to cover e.g. for staff shortages.

Most continental European MROs and airlines supply standartised toolboxes. Some airlines actually went so far that one has to book out a toolbox from the tool crib at the beginning of the shift and return it at the end.
My boss once had the idea to sell 2/3 of our toolboxes and to keep the remaining ones in the tool crib, until we showed him that the first two hours of the shift would be used by the guys to line up to receive their toolboxes (you would have to do a full tool check including engraved numbers for each toolbox, so that you couldn't be blamed for losing tools) and the same again for the last two hours of the shift when returning the toolboxes.
His reasoing was that personally issued company toolboxes sit a lot of the time in the rack, when the employee is off, so somebody else can use them. But,even if it is a company issued toolbox, if it is in my name and I have signed for it (and can be docked and held responsible for damage or loss) I'll make sure they stay order.
E.g. with a previous employer we got issued personal Peltor headsets for pushbacks. I know that I kept mine in perfect order and made sure that I would not overstretch the cable. But later my ex-boss hired more staff, but decided not to buy additional headsets. Instead he told us to return our personal headsets to make up a pool, from which each of us could draw one if we needed one. Within a short time the headsets were all damaged.

The same happened with the company issued rechageable MagLites, but he got wise on them and issued us a personal one each and we were told to take them home with us for recharging instead of using the chargers in the line office. From then on he had to buy no replacements anymore.

Another drawback with company issued toolboxes is that the contents often get picked by some beancounter without a clue about the requirements for the actual job. He will fall for sweet talk by the toolmaker's sales rep and will go by the price. So often you have several useless tools in your toolbox, but you will be missing important ones (in my otherways quite good toolbox made by the Italian manufacturer Bahco, there is the 15/16" spanner missing. Somebody thought that this size is not required, but they are often used for hydraulic lines).

Jan

Jan

737tdi

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:10 am

I have to say I just can't imagine having to work without my own tools. I pick the type, brand, quantity, and cost. When you work on aircraft and do all of the maintenance items the company can no way determine what I need. At my job you don't just work electric/avionics/structures/etc.. How could a company possibly build a tool box for this type of maintenance? I work in a shop that does all OTS aircraft, whether it be in . DAL, OKC, ELP, OMA, etc.. We have to carry our own tools to do these downline jobs and we no exactly what to carry, I can't imagine having to depend on anyone to determine this for me.

Do you need a pry bar to change a 737 NG engine. Most of the time not but every once in a while you do because the thrust links want to be a pain in the butt or the front mount is a little stubborn. Would a company provided tool kit have one? Probably not, Boeing doesn't list it. I just can't imagine not being able to work with my own tools. I did it in the USMC but they had their crap together, They knew every tool plus a couple that you would need, remember though their budget is much higher then a commercial airline. JMO of course but if they took my tools away I would find another job. I have tools I have built to make jobs easier as I am sure a lot of y'all do as well. To me it is not an option, my tools or I don't work for you. I even have breakout boxes I have built my self to troubleshoot slat/anti skid/ electrical problems that there is no way the company would supply.... I am a big NO on company supplied tools. I am a responsible AMT and I will be treated that way, been doing it for 34 years and if, and a big if, the Company wanted to supply my tools, they would get a bad taste in their mouth.

By the way, I can't even remember the last aircraft accident caused by a misplaced tool?? I remember an A-4 that got a socket stuck under a control yoke and the pilot could not recover, that was 30+ years ago. Good convo here though.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
E.g. with a previous employer we got issued personal Peltor headsets for pushbacks. I know that I kept mine in perfect order and made sure that I would not overstretch the cable. But later my ex-boss hired more staff, but decided not to buy additional headsets. Instead he told us to return our personal headsets to make up a pool, from which each of us could draw one if we needed one. Within a short time the headsets were all damaged.

Jan....the logic makes sense about a person being more careful in handling his own tools than a company offered ones.
However regulations out here, make the company purchase the toolkit and hand it over to the employee,after needed kit/tools numbering and thereafter a monthly audit is carried out on the tools to ensure everything is in order.
Damaged tools are company replaced, missing tools need to be replaced by the employee, along with reasons why the tools has gone missing.

deltal1011man

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 am

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 30):
Also the idea of engraving is to ensure traceability in case one goes missing and the owner was not aware.....however dedicated he may be....mistakes happen...thats what it caters to counter.

Well yeah, but with the knife thing it is simply over stepping from the .gov in the US. It isn't a mistake, if your knife falls out your a terrorist.

Air line gets a big fine. You get a big fine. Your fired and probably going on a no-fly list after days of questioning by the FBI and CIA.

One thing I tell everyone is anytime you walk out of that cabin, check your stuff right before you leave, upfront by the door and check again when you get back to you tool box.

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 30):
The checking by the Engineering team not security personnell......

Well yeah, I mean at an airline like Delta everything is in-house. Other than the rare time the FAA or some kind of MRO audit is happening, everything is checked by a Delta employee.

In theory the FAA or TSA could show up tomorrow and check though.

Some European airlines (e.g. Ryanair and several British MROs) require their technical staff to buy personal toolboxes, but the airline issues a list of what they expect mechanic / engineer to own.

Every US airline/MRO i have dealt with or learned about have a minimum tool list. I don't know who comes up with it because for the most part it is way to small.

My boss once had the idea to sell 2/3 of our toolboxes and to keep the remaining ones in the tool crib, until we showed him that the first two hours of the shift would be used by the guys to line up to receive their toolboxes (you would have to do a full tool check including engraved numbers for each toolbox, so that you couldn't be blamed for losing tools) and the same again for the last two hours of the shift when returning the toolboxes.

And this is why I don't want the company to do it.

Same thing here. I know a few guys that have headsets hidden though(not me of course  ). Also know a few people who went out and bought their own just because they don't want to have deal with fighting for one.

Another drawback with company issued toolboxes is that the contents often get picked by some beancounter without a clue about the requirements for the actual job. He will fall for sweet talk by the toolmaker's sales rep and will go by the price. So often you have several useless tools in your toolbox, but you will be missing important ones (in my otherways quite good toolbox made by the Italian manufacturer Bahco, there is the 15/16" spanner missing. Somebody thought that this size is not required, but they are often used for hydraulic lines).

Yep.
One thing i can say about Delta is they do buy good stuff for the tool room. They just generally don't have enough.

God help you if you have a open up day on the same day as another bay. Its like a big fight for the battery impacts and screw guns. No one wants the pneumatic stuff.

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 32):
I have to say I just can't imagine having to work without my own tools. I pick the type, brand, quantity, and cost.

same here. I like that i can pick my brand. I won't lie, a love Snap-on, and that is what....95% of my box is. I have some craftsmen and some stuff i got at harbor freight for making tools ( I had to cut a snap-on wrench one time.....I died a little inside.)

Do you need a pry bar to change a 737 NG engine. Most of the time not but every once in a while you do because the thrust links want to be a pain in the butt or the front mount is a little stubborn. Would a company provided tool kit have one? Probably not, Boeing doesn't list it.

yep. Just look at most basic tool list.....

I did it in the USMC but they had their crap together, They knew every tool plus a couple that you would need, remember though their budget is much higher then a commercial airline.

yeah, the military is different. At one point the USAF gave there people Snap-on boxes.

I am a responsible AMT and I will be treated that way, been doing it for 34 years and if, and a big if, the Company wanted to supply my tools, they would get a bad taste in their mouth.

yep. I couldn't imagine it honestly.

I think, but I'm not sure, some of the shops at Delta have company issued tools. But I don't know for sure. (I think event eh engine shop lines have company issued stuff. Last time i was out there i saw a bunch of black snap-on roll aways with big white numbers paint on them)
I couldn't see it happening on the Line or on the hangar floor.

To me it is not an option, my tools or I don't work for you. I even have breakout boxes I have built my self to troubleshoot slat/anti skid/ electrical problems that there is no way the company would supply.... I am a big NO on company supplied tools

same here. I would however be open for the company giving me more money for a tool allowance..... 
I have tools I have built to make jobs easier as I am sure a lot of y'all do as well.

yep!

By the way, I can't even remember the last aircraft accident caused by a misplaced tool?? I remember an A-4 that got a socket stuck under a control yoke and the pilot could not recover, that was 30+ years ago. Good convo here though.

I know we have had some FOD related issues on the ramp and/or Test Cell before. Its pretty limited though. I think the Foreman or lead does a check out in the Test cell before they run engines.

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 33):
However regulations out here, make the company purchase the toolkit and hand it over to the employee,after needed kit/tools numbering and thereafter a monthly audit is carried out on the tools to ensure everything is in order.

and the issue too with that is that monthly audit is down time for the A&P, so if it takes a few hours then that time that the company is paying you to stand around and paying someone else to go over your tools. US carriers are to cheap for that   

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:37 am

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 34):
One thing I tell everyone is anytime you walk out of that cabin, check your stuff right before you leave, upfront by the door and check again when you get back to you tool box.

Makes sense.

What lumins rating would one suggest for a Line mx check on a widebody.......the brightest flashlight is 6300 Lumins
What we use is around 1500-2500 lumens light intensity.

deltal1011man

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 pm

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 35):

What lumins rating would one suggest for a Line mx check on a widebody.......the brightest flashlight is 6300 Lumins

I don't do line, hangar work only. I haven't ever been on the line and really don't plan to unless i get forced out.

having said that I have more light than my LED Steamlight Stinger produces. I have no idea what lumens it is.

737tdi

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:28 pm

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 35):

Hawk: Lumens is only a measurement of the light's output and IMO is a bit overrated. The most important thing is the ability to adjust the beam. I.E. a telescopic lens. With any optic the quality of the lens is important and although a flashlight/headlamp is not an optic it also needs good "glass". I don't know if you like cameras/lenses but the most important part of a camera is it's eye (lens). IMO if you look for a light with a Cree LED bulb that has a variable focal length you can not go wrong. My headlamp is this way which allows you to illuminate a wide to focused area. My Streamlight Stingers do not have this capability but I sure wish they did.

Super Em

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 pm

I use a Nitecore SRT7 Revenger. 960 Lumens and uses 2 CR123 Lithium or 1 18650 Li-On. Very bright and reasonably priced for the options it offers

Its funny you guys talk about tools, here at my company the problem they have with alot of the young techs coming in is their lack of a proper tool box.

They are always borrowing tools from other guys when they are expected to have a proper tool box.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:36 am

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 37):
IMO if you look for a light with a Cree LED bulb that has a variable focal length you can not go wrong.

Interesting.

Quoting Super Em (Reply 38):

They are always borrowing tools from other guys when they are expected to have a proper tool box.

Who supervises this.

deltal1011man

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

ts funny you guys talk about tools, here at my company the problem they have with alot of the young techs coming in is their lack of a proper tool box.

that happens everywhere. Even if you have all the things on the minimum tool list you don't have enough tools (at least for those in base MX)

which is why saying "NO" is always very smart.

I don't let people use my tools even once(unless it is someone I know and I know wont steal my stuff.) I don't even play the 3 strike rule anymore.

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 39):
Who supervises this.

no one?

I the US (at least at my airline) leads don't get involved in stuff like that. It goes back to being adults and handling you stuff. Matter of fact, 99% of the time we don't have anyone "watching or supervising" us. Leads are to busy with paper work to by baby sitting.

fr8mech

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Quoting hawk21m (Reply 39):
Who supervises this

A very, very long time ago, when Fr8Mech was a Jr.PaxMech, he had a wise old mechanic tell him that he would lend Jr.PaxMech any tool he needed...once, maybe twice if it was expensive or exotic (think Snap-On, 12pt. offset, ratcheting box wrench). After that, Jr.PaxMech was on his own.

Jr.PaxMech spent a lot of time in Sears and on the Snap-On truck.

In short, the only person 'supervising' the borrowing of tools is the lender.

NWAESC

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:31 am

I'm not an AMT, but I use a Fenix PD35 for just about everything on the ramp. It's small enough to fit in my pocket, but can be bright enough to see any part of a narrow-body A/C, or anything else I need to check/service/operate. I also use it quite a bit outside of work...

[Edited 2014-08-26 03:34:13]
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

deltal1011man

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 41):

most people will go by the three strike rule.
1 time okay
2 times alright but...
3 times last time, buy your own stuff.