Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcaord
Topic Author

Flying Through And Dodging Clouds

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 am

I've noticed, so often, we seem to perfectly dodge clouds and fly through small breaks/openings. I suspect this is entirely coincidental, but thought it was worth an ask. Do pilots actually dodge clouds and find openings during climb and descent? Or, would that have to be done only by making unauthorized turns without ATC approval?

SPREE34

RE: Flying Through And Dodging Clouds

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:29 am

They do it, and even ask ATC .
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

atct

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:46 am

Yeah pilots ask to deviate around weather and build ups all the time. Sometimes we approve it, sometimes we say "buckle up" (really we say "unable" but "buckle up captain and have the stews take a seat" is what I'm thinking). As a pilot I always had the rule that if I could see it moving/building or it looked nasty, I tried to avoid it. If I couldn't avoid it, I'd check the radar and see what the return was like. I'd make a decision from there. 99% of the time ATC lets ya move around build ups but in busy airspace, it sometimes isn't possible.
Trikes are for kids!

freakydeaky

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:51 am

It's quite fun to do as well. Makes for good videos I'm told... 
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

roseflyer

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 am

Quoting dcaord (Thread starter):
Do pilots actually dodge clouds and find openings during climb and descent?

It really depends on where you are and what types of clouds you are talking about. Judging by your username, you fly around Chicago and Washington frequently. In the afternoons, the large thundercells can be building and pilots are always trying to deviate around them. In the midwest, east coast and south where there are large cloud formations associated with thunderstorms, then yes pilots will be attempting to deviate around them. They are associated with quite a few potential problems that you want to avoid such as turbulence, icing, hail, windshear, etc.

However, the same is not true everywhere. Along the west coast of the United States there are far fewer cumulonimbus clouds. The clouds are cumulus, stratus, etc that do not pose much risk. Flying into SEA, PDX or SFO where there are virtually never any thunderstorms, clouds do not pose a risk and you do not hear pilots requesting to deviate around them. West of the rockies it is rare to see cumulonimbus clouds above 20,000 ft, whereas east of the rockies, you will see cumulonimbus formations that extend above 40,000 feet and can require significant course deviations. In the summer time it is not abnormal to see flights from JFK to SFO flying all the way north over Minnesota and North Dakota to avoid storms.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

dcaord
Topic Author

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone. I should clarify though. I am not talking about storms necessarily. I was thinking more along the lines of a standard (not rain or storm producing) layer of broken, but thick clouds. I find that often it feels like we fly through these perfect holes or breaks. Not a major deviation, but feels like some small, but strategic turns are necessary to do so.

lpdal

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Quoting dcaord (Reply 5):
was thinking more along the lines of a standard (not rain or storm producing) layer of broken, but thick clouds.

Here you can see an example of an UA pilot steering between clouds on the way out of ORD enroute IAD:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5590/13919293019_f35364c96e_c.jpg

You can see the deviation on the FlightAware map:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5460/13923178310_7247a12b0f_c.jpg

-LPDAL  
TWU Local 568 represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.