SAAFNAV
Topic Author

Antennas Close To Runway

Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 pm

So yesterday I drove in to work and saw a mobile cellphone tower being erected right in between the main runway and main taxi way - About 600' from the runway edge.

I'm not worried about the height, as it's pretty low, but I'm thinking it might be in the ILS Critical Area.

Before I start a big thing, I'd like to get regulations about EM radiators close to a runway. I tried searching for various terms, but the only stuff I got is about the normal Critical Area/Safety Area with regards to other aircraft/vehicle close to the runway.

We do have a big airshow coming up at our base, so possibly, they might only enable the tower on the show days in VFR, but still, we have to land there and I'm not sure that any surveys etc were done.

Anyone that can point me to the relevant regulations?

Erich
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

KELPkid

RE: Antennas Close To Runway

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Quoting SAAFNAV (Thread starter):
Before I start a big thing, I'd like to get regulations about EM radiators close to a runway. I tried searching for various terms, but the only stuff I got is about the normal Critical Area/Safety Area with regards to other aircraft/vehicle close to the runway.

As far as I know, there are none. In the US, this would be the FCC's (Federal Communications Commision) jurisdiction, and you are not allowed to transmit a signal that causes interference to users in another band. If you do, the users of the band that you are causing interference in have every right to shut you down   The air bands (VHF com, VHF nav, UHF localizer, UHF DME, etc.) are protected just like any other radio frequency spectrum.

There was a nutcase company a few years ago (Lightsquared) that was trying to demonstrate a 4G LTE techology that everyone said would interfere with the civil GPS signal (in theory). Somehow, they actually got to the point of being able to demonstrate their technology (despite the FCC's objections), and theory was confirmed. Then they took to threatening the FCC on grounds of resctirction of free enterprise, and, well, the nutcase company is somehow still around, despite the fact that the shareholders got the heck out of Dodge when it was proven that it does interfere with GPS  http://www.gps.gov/spectrum/lightsquared/
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

SAAFNAV
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info.

In your opinion, is it worth going into this? I know the cell-phone and ILS frequencies are in way different bands, but I don't necessarily know what other transmissions are coming from the mobile unit.

Yeah, I followed Lightspeed's stuff. Who cares if some planes get lost - at least you can download Youtube anywhere.

Thanks,

E

KELPkid

Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Quoting SAAFNAV (Reply 2):
In your opinion, is it worth going into this? I know the cell-phone and ILS frequencies are in way different bands, but I don't necessarily know what other transmissions are coming from the mobile unit.

I'm assuming that on a South African airbase, you do functional checks on your ILS installation? In the US, the FAA has to do this every year or two, and they fly the approach several times in a Learjet that very carefully logs any deviances in the localizer or glideslope signal. If you guys do something similar, I'd ask the flight check pilots about any abnormal readings that weren't present before the tower was active...  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

SAAFNAV
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:40 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 3):

I'm assuming that on a South African airbase, you do functional checks on your ILS installation? In the US, the FAA has to do this every year or two, and they fly the approach several times in a Learjet that very carefully logs any deviances in the localizer or glideslope signal. If you guys do something similar, I'd ask the flight check pilots about any abnormal readings that weren't present before the tower was active...

We contract the CAA to do it, and new ILS was certified a while ago. There wasn't any flights by the check aircraft in between. I'll see what I can do via the Safety Office

Type-Rated

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:56 am

I'd be more worried about the obstruction aspect of a tower so close to the runway.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!