Deltabravo1123
Topic Author

Small Fleets And Boring Flights For Pilots

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:27 pm

When airlines have only a couple of planes of one type, do the pilots of those planes only fly on the 2 or 3 routes those aircraft are scheduled for?

For instance... With KLM: They only have three MD-11s left in their fleet. And as far as I know the only routes those planes fly on are to Toronto and Montreal (correct me if I'm wrong) from Amsterdam. Are the MD-11 pilots kept on just those two routes until the rest of the aircraft are phased out or in this case would the airline train the MD-11 pilots on another aircraft type and just interchange the pilots who fly the MD-11?

I imagine flying back and forth to the same two destinations every single time you fly would get boring.

flyby519

RE: Small Fleets And Boring Flights For Pilots

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Quoting deltabravo1123 (Thread starter):

Yep, thats how it works. And it can get even more boring when you are only a relief pilot for that flight, you arent at the controls for takeoff or landing, just during cruise. AA JFK 777 pilots only see LHR/GRU/EZE, so i am sure there are many other instances of similar small bases.

Dalmd88

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:58 pm

At most airlines you are only current in one aircraft type at a time. The exception being the cross type fleets; 757/767 and others. So these last few pilots will continue to fly this type until the the type retires, then will get trained on another type. Either the airline will assign them to a new fleet or in the case of US airlines, the pilots will bid on openings in other types.

hooverman

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:21 pm

Must have been boring flying the concorde.  

Cipango

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:25 pm

EI doesn't have the greatest range of A330 flights during the winter.

BOS, JFK, MCO and ORD. Wouldn't be the greatest variety.

At least now they have SFO to add to the small mix, as well as the summer flights to FAO and AGP.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

johns624

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:39 pm

After a few years of flying for any airline, just about all flights are boring. Of course, boring flights are what you want. It's the "exciting" flights that give you gray hair and ulcers...

TUGMASTER

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:27 pm

Bumped into an ,Aussie purser on a BMI flight to SVO once.
While chatting, he mentioned he used to be a Purser on QF's A380s.
I asked him why he left...?
Because they only flew to a handful of destinations...
Think it was BKK/SIN/LAX/LHR and maybe HKG back then...
He got bored of the same old same old...

B777LRF

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:02 pm

When I was growing up as an airline pilot, I got a job flying newspapers. Same domestic route 6 days a week, a short domestic hop of around 1 hour in a Cessna Caravan. It certainly had it's boring moments, and I took it as a rite of passage. But, oh, how I longed for some diversity! Once in a while I was tasked to bring the bird in for maintenance, and got to enjoy a flight during daylight!

Fast forward 20 years, and following my grounding, several of my very good friends are still driving airliners for a living. With around 10K hours behind them, none of them really care where they drive the kites to and from anymore. For them it's all about a steady roster and days off; 2 of them have even gone 1/2 time to spend more time at home with the family and friends.
Signature. You just read one.

RyanairGuru

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:37 pm

Quoting TUGMASTER (Reply 6):
he mentioned he used to be a Purser on QF's A380s.
I asked him why he left...?
Because they only flew to a handful of destinations...
Think it was BKK/SIN/LAX/LHR and maybe HKG back then...

If he was an A380 Purser then he was QAAC crew, which in the early days meant LAX and SIN. That's all! LHR-SIN is operated by the LHR base, and HKG didn't start until later (2011?). I have always felt a bit sorry for the QAAC crew (and I guess A380 pilots as well, not that I've ever thought of that until now) as I imagine that the same old destinations get pretty repetitive. And LAX, DFW, and DXB are hardly the most scintillating destinations. Thankfully they will pick up HKG for about one month, otherwise it is just those three over and over.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

flymia

Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 1):
AA JFK 777 pilots only see LHR/GRU/EZE, so i am sure there are many other instances of similar small bases.

Yep, certainly are. I think there are sometimes options for trips such as JFK-LHR-DFW-LHR-JFK though?

As others have said at a certain point, especially senior pilots they just want great schedules which might mean flying to the same two cities very often.

An example of what may be some "boring" flying is Cape Air and the ATR in GUM. Three airports, all short flights though so you don't have much time to get bored. Or the Cape Air pilot who is based in RSW and only does RSW-KYW all day every day. I would imagine they have a few charters here and there.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

DualQual

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:05 am

We all chase different things with different importance. Airplane, money, schedule, destinations, seniority, or any combination of the above with different weights to each elements. If I had my choice it would be 767 or 777 to HNL, OGG, KOA, BRU, TXL, or LHR for my career. With weekends and holidays off.

[Edited 2014-10-19 00:05:53]
There's no known cure for stupid

Bellerophon

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Quoting hooverman (Reply 3):
Must have been boring flying the concorde.

No, never!  

Best Regards

Bellerophon