Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

prvplt
Topic Author

Working for two Part 135 carriers

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 am

Hi,

Are commercial pilots allowed to be employed to two different part 135 companies during the same time? If so, how do the two companies keep track of how many hours their pilot is flying between the two charter companies?

Mir

Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 am

There's no legal prohibition on being employed by two 135 companies simultaneously (nor two 121 companies), but I believe most companies have policies that prevent a pilot from doing so in order to avoid conflicts of interest and to avoid scheduling conflicts.

If one did, then the pilot would be responsible for providing to each company the hours they flew at the other.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

prvplt
Topic Author

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:08 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

If they did let you work for both charters would you need to keep a record of their hours for the FAA? What kind of documentation would be needed to show them? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know little about charter companies.

KaiGywer

Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:38 am

He's not working for two 135s, but my flight instructor instructs part time for a part 61 flight school when he's not flying 135 charters.

[Edited 2014-10-22 19:02:07]
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

tb727

RE: Working For Two Part 135 Carriers

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:32 am

Quoting prvplt (Reply 2):
If they did let you work for both charters would you need to keep a record of their hours for the FAA? What kind of documentation would be needed to show them? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know little about charter companies.

When I flew 135 we had to keep track of our flight and duty logs every month. I think that is fairly common out there at smaller companies at least. The log was just an excel spreadsheet with every day of the month on there and we would color a yellow line for the entire duty day and red lines for each flight leg and total up the hours for the zulu day then the month.

I went over to the 121 part of the same company that automatically tracked it but if I did any flying for the 135 I had to tell them so they could track it. The 135 side I still had to manually color in my logs every month of all my flight time. For 121 I also had to make sure I had a "1 in 7" day off prior to coming back on duty for them. I only did it for a couple months because, well, I like my days off.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

nws2002

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 am

Like other's have said, there is no legal prohibition for working at two Part 135 companies, or any two air carriers for that matter. However, you would have to report all other commercial flying to each carrier to ensure flight, duty, and rest requirements are met. Also, many carriers won't allow it because it overly complicates scheduling.

Mir

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Quoting prvplt (Reply 2):
If they did let you work for both charters would you need to keep a record of their hours for the FAA?

It's the opposite: they need to keep a record of your hours for the FAA. You only need to keep a record of the hours you intend to use to meet currency regulations (which the charter company will also be keeping track of).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day