Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

egph
Topic Author

Air Crew And Operating To TLV

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi guys,

I am someone who follows the Israel-Palestine conflict closely and am aware of the consequences for the aviation industry, El Al being banned from several countries and many Arab carries operating into BEY giving Israel a wide berth. However another issue sprung to mind and I'm not sure if it's ever cropped up.

If there was a crew member working for an airline that operated into TLV who had deeply held anti-Israel beliefs could they be excused being rostered onto one of those flights. I'm thinking more from the US/Canada or flights where a layover would be necessary rather than same crew there and back from Europe. Ever been an issue?

Thanks guys

aviationaware

RE: Air Crew And Operating To TLV

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Quoting EGPH (Thread starter):
f there was a crew member working for an airline that operated into TLV who had deeply held anti-Israel beliefs could they be excused being rostered onto one of those flights.

I hope there are no such unprofessional individuals in the air.

32andBelow

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:43 am

I'm thinking more from the US/Canada

I'm pretty sure you'd be removed from the line if you refused for such a reason for a US/CA carrier.

Edit:
By removed form the line I mean fired.

[Edited 2014-12-28 16:44:10]

Gemuser

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:50 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 2):
By removed form the line I mean fired.

There by possibly leaving the airline open to religious discrimination charges, depending on circumstances. BTW do US airlines send Jewish flight crew to Arab countries? Do they avoid sending Muslim staff to Israel?

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

32andBelow

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:57 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 3):
There by possibly leaving the airline open to religious discrimination charges, depending on circumstances. BTW do US airlines send Jewish flight crew to Arab countries? Do they avoid sending Muslim staff to Israel?

If the job description is to fly all routes as assigned, and every pilot needs to agree to it, it would be just refusing your assignment and not discrimination. There have been court cases about workers being assigned on Sundays, etc.

blink182

Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:28 am

If there was a crew member working for an airline that operated into TLV who had deeply held anti-Israel beliefs could they be excused being rostered onto one of those flights.

You could make this argument for literally every destination in the world, not just TLV.
Simply disagreeing with a country's politics, a country the crew member has no recognized ties to, is a weak argument.

I'd imagine, however, there are appropriate instances where crews may be excused from flights.
Just as an example, if a crew member may have fled country XYZ as a youth to escape political/religious persecution and has legitimate fear of arrest on arrival there, airline schedulers would oblige(if they didn't know already) and reassign that crew member.

Any airline personnel here in the know?
Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 4):
There have been court cases about workers being assigned on Sundays

Perhaps on a religious basis, but on political grounds?
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

bwaflyer

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:48 pm

At bmi we had a couple of flight crew who fled Iran in 1979 as small children, and who would still be required for military service should they ever return. Unsurprisingly they never operated to Tehran. As a gay man, there are many countries that I have flown to that I would not wish to live in, yet as a professional crew member, I fix my smile, dole out the reheated chicken, enjoy the rest of the attractions that destination has to offer, and come home to my partner. I signed a contract to operate to any destination the airline rosters me for, if I don't like it, I need to find another job.