Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

conaly
Topic Author

Saudia A320 - Only One Overwing Emergency Exit

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi,
I've been traveling today with Saudia from Riyadh to Arar. While in the cabin I've noticed, that the aircraft had only ONE overwing emergency exit per side. I was first quite confused and thought they changed the aircraft for an A319, but even on the safety card it was said A320 and only one exit per side was printed. It was only after landing, when I saw the airplane from outside and there were clearly TWO emergency doors over the wing, although one did not have a metallic frame around it. So my question: why blocking one of them completely? Isn't that a security issue, I mean better have more exits, just in case. As it's physically there, why not using it? From inside you could never guess, that there is another door at that part of the fuselage (t was covered completely by the interior panel), just the space between the windows was a little bit wider than usual.

A picture, where you can clearly see two doors, where one is "camouflage".

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Björn Huke

Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH

747classic

RE: Saudia A320 - Only One Overwing Emergency Exit

Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:08 pm

The A320 is standard produced with four overwing exits. One at each side can easily be plugged and "bandaged over" inside for VIP, premium style or low density (less than 150 pax- certification limit for one emergency exit at each side) use, with no impact on performance or functionality. When resold, the plane simply requires new panels in that area and a new window exit to replace the plug (and of course interior lighting and such).
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

strfyr51

Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:19 pm

there are provisions for 2, how the cabin is configured? I can't tell you..

JAGflyer

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 am

It appears that Gulf Air also only has 2 emergency exit doors on their A320s

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jens Breuer

If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

LAXintl

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:00 am

You save weight and maintenance cost by plugging the exit if you don't need it.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DarkSnowyNight

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:07 pm

Quoting 747classic (Reply 1):

The A320 is standard produced with four overwing exits. One at each side can easily be plugged and "bandaged over" inside for VIP, premium style or low density (less than 150 pax- certification limit for one emergency exit at each side) use, with no impact on performance or functionality.

No doubt. Saudia feature two versions (configurations anyway) for the A320. One is a two class 132 seat, of which they have 28, the other a 116 seater, also two class, of which there are seven. The second offering has 20 business class seats, so Y doesn't even start until the wing! Well under the limit, they can very easily plug those doors.

On a side note, these must be some of the lowest density/non VIP 320s out there. Even the Gulf Air 320 pictured upthread still has 136 seats in two class.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

stxbohn

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Ok, related question perhaps. What are the red corner marks on 3 of the other windows shown on both A320s pictured above supposed to indicate? I'm guessing it's an emergency "cut here" for access indication kinda like on buses where there are emergency exits from the inside?

ptrjong

Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Quoting 747classic (Reply 1):
with no impact on performance or functionality.

You mean that escape times for the pax are within allowances, but I'm sure they are affected...

Peter 
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

Part147

Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:57 am

Quoting stxbohn (Reply 6):

You are correct, they are emergency cut-in locations for fire-crews. They highlight areas where there are minimal or zero heavy structural elements, wiring, ducting or other harder to cut items behind the skin, which would slow their cutting equipment down.
It's better to ask a stupid question during training, rather than make a REALLY stupid mistake later on!