KindKarma9
Topic Author

MD 88 Cargo Bin Specs /Pets

Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am apologizing in advance for my lack of or weak knowledge of cargo terms. That being said, my name is Melissa and I make custom dog crates for passengers who fly aggressive, restricted and / or giant breeds of dogs. While I deal with the large crafts mostly and know those specs well, I am having difficulty getting the following information. I have been on the phone three times directly with Boeing and they said they just don't have the information. I am trying to find out if I build a crate with the outside specs of 41"L x 25"W x 29"H, will that fit in the live animal cargo bin on a MD 88. I know the series 500 crate ( X Large) that measures the same except for it is one inch SHORTER in length is allowed on this craft. All the other specs are exactly the same. Does anyone know if there is an inch of play with the length. If not, does anyone know where to direct me too. I thank you in advance for any assistance! -Melissa

BreninTW

RE: MD 88 Cargo Bin Specs /Pets

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:26 am

Melissa,

I would suggest contacting the freight handling department of the airline(s) the crate will be flying on. They will know best what crates they will accept and can fit in their aircraft.

KindKarma9
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:36 am

This is what is so puzzling. Not only has Boeing been unable to provide the specs, The cargo shipper is the one who sent me to them. The client is flying on Delta from Nashville to Atlanta then to Hawaii. I have a contact with Swissport but she said she hasn't touched a MD88 in years and no longer remembers the cargo bin measurements. I was hoping someone on these forums actually works in cargo and is familiar with the aircraft. If anyone knows anyone who can possibly help, I would be forever grateful! I'm desperate to reunite this military family which includes their dog. Thanks for any help
. Melissa

GRRECPGRR

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:30 am

Melissa, I used to work MD88s daily in ECP. I was also an ALA, aircraft load agent, but I have not been in the airline job for almost 2 years (and I'm trying to rectify that if anyone has a job opening for me)...so I used to have access to specs that could answer your question.

Its not that easy to find, even as an employee, but we used to ship military "working" dogs a lot and their cages just and I mean just, fit through the bin door.

Delta Cargo has access to that information as would AA's cargo division flying the identical planes structurally. If it fits through the opening, there will be plenty of room in Bin 1.

The information is out there at the airline level, you just haven't found the person who is willing to look it up for you and stick with it until they find it.

VTBDflyer

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:46 am

Not sure if this document contains the dimensions you need. Possibly from pdf page 17 (document pages 2-9) onwards.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/commercial/airports/acaps/md80.pdf

Edit: Also found this
http://www.delta.com/business_progra...lity/shipping_containers/index.jsp

[Edited 2015-02-09 18:48:22]
Fly Thai

BreninTW

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:21 am

Melissa,

I don't think Boeing and/or Swissport are the right people to be talking to.

Delta and AA cargo departments are the ones to talk to (if those are indeed the airlines that the family will be flying on). You need to talk to the actual company that will be doing the flying, not the handling agents (Swissport).

Boeing might know the physical size of the holds, but they don't know what (if any) restrictions the airline and airline's policies have on what can go in the bins, so they're not going to be able to help you either.

You may need to talk to a few people before you find the right person who is in a position to really help you out ... someone on this board may be able to point you in the right direction.

northwestEWR

Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:25 am

Hi Melissa,

See if you can get the answer you need from Delta Cargo's Pet Office here in ATL. If they don't have it on file (and they should), they can always run over to the ramp and measure. Phone number is 404-762-8777

Cheers,
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

nws2002

Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:54 am

Which cargo bin are animals loaded in an MD-88? Fwd, mid, or aft? I know the aft bin sizing can vary, the section fwd of the aft cargo door is much smaller on some aircraft.

DL lists the maximum cargo size as 53" x 30" or 53" x 31" for all three compartments. I think that is just the door size though. vhttp://www.delta.com/business_programs_services/delta_cargo/cargo_flight_availability/shipping_containers/index.jsp

KindKarma9
Topic Author

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:58 pm

I am in tears of joy quite literally! I am unable to put into words the gratitude I feel for your responses and finally being able to get answers I have been looking for. I was heartbroken that this family was going to be delayed yet another stretch of time until I figured out how to get the dogs to another airport with larger aircrafts. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!! I'm forever grateful!!! -Melissa.

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Those dimensions should be fine. I use to work as a DL ramp agent and we loaded and unloaded large dogs in crates, as well as other larger cargo onto MD-80's all the time. Human Remains or HR's where longer than your dimensions. Can't give you the precise dimensions, but with your height dimensions I would imagine you would have between 7-12 inches clearance between the crate and ceiling in the live cargo bin's 1 & 2?

Width should be fine. The cargo bin floors were just wide enough for an adult to lay down across.

pwm2txlhopper

Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 7):
Which cargo bin are animals loaded in an MD-88? Fwd, mid, or aft? I know the aft bin sizing can vary, the section fwd of the aft cargo door is much smaller on some aircraft.

The two forward bins 1 & 2 are pressurized and climate controlled for live cargo.

AST1Driver

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:37 pm

It looks like you got your answers. For future reference, the biggest issues I have had will be with the height of the kennel. Even though the bins are 37 inches tall, anything over 30 inches will not fit thru the door in the upright position. In the past we have loaded the larger kennels (military dogs) but this usually required the handlers to remove the animal from the cage at ramp level, turn the kennel on its side for loading and then placing the animal back into the kennel. You then have to reverse the process on the other end of the flight. I'm not sure this is even allowed anymore.

This is the link for Delta's pet travel requirements. American is very similar.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...pet-requirements-restrictions.html

[Edited 2015-02-11 15:46:54]

DiamondFlyer

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting pwm2txlhopper (Reply 10):
The two forward bins 1 & 2 are pressurized and climate controlled for live cargo.

As long as the avionics fan is working. If not, the guys up top are likely to hit the puppy killer switch.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

rugger

Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:56 pm

I've seen airliners turn around and come back and land due to pressure difficulties in the cargo bin. The pilots knew they had dogs down there and returned to land. This happened at IAH with CO a few times. It made the news as the pilots literally saved the dogs lives.

rwessel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:07 am

Quoting Rugger (Reply 13):

I've seen airliners turn around and come back and land due to pressure difficulties in the cargo bin.

You can't have pressurization difficulties on the cargo deck without also having them on the passenger deck. Air conditioning/temperature issues are a different thing.

Goldenshield

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:16 am

From what I remember, a 500 series kennel will fit, but it will have to be tilted to fit in the doorway, which might stress the animal, so a diligent agent will ask you if you're okay with this before accepting it.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.