Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JAGflyer
Topic Author

Route Manuals At Large Airlines

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:52 am

I have always had this question but have put off asking in for a while. As someone who takes part in the process of handling the updating of the route manuals (Jeppesen, Lido, etc) onboard the aircraft at my airline I have always wondered how some of the other carriers out there handle this. While not completely involved, my position occasionally involves me working alongside the flight operations team to keep the manuals up to date. Having spoken to a few different people at airlines in Canada, it seems like there are basically three methods. A digital solution (hard-mounted or removable EFBs such as iPads, NavAero computer systems, etc), a set of charts maintained by each pilot, and a master set that stays with the aircraft and is swapped out with an updated set as required.

At my airline, we have a sets that stay with the plane and are changed out by staff at our main base or by maintenance (upon receiving the revised set). The previous set is then sent back to the base to be updated and put onboard another plane. It's a process that requires a lot of manpower and careful planing. All of the sets are identical so they can be used on any plane (they include all of our destinations, alternates, maps, and reference data).

My question to those in A.Net who are pilots or who deal with the route manuals are how are they handled at your company? Considering the amount of destinations some of the larger carriers fly to, how do the pilots who are issued sets of manuals able to keep a full inventory of all airports that their aircraft type fly to? Obviously the sets are tailored to the types of routes the crew may fly (ie. a regional-jet pilot would not have charts for destinations only reachable by the 777 and vice versa).

[Edited 2015-02-27 18:01:48]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Alias1024

RE: Route Manuals At Large Airlines

Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 am

My airline currently uses sets that stay with the aircraft, and Jeppesen is responsible for changing the chart cases out for revisions when necessary at our hubs. Part of our preflight is to check a placard on the chart case showing the date the charts need are due for revision and can no longer be considered current. Both the captain and first officer have three binders with all destination airports and a full set of enroute charts. The captain case has a copy of the flight ops manual, and the first officer case has an alternates binder.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

BravoOne

Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Have you investigated the EFB concept yet? Light years ahead of the paper shuffle needed to keep manuals current. You didn't say how many aircraft or the types in your fleet? Size matters in a case like this. Also,, are you using Jepps or LIDO for you charts?

Believe me there is nothing more important to Jeppesen (aka, Boeing) than getting out of the paper business. They are in the business of selling information, not paper manuals so expect prices to increase over time for the paper products.

Woodreau

Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:30 pm

At my airline, the pilots carry the Jeppesen charts for the airports that are identified as Regular airports in the company OpSpecs. The captain and first officer carry the same Jeppesen route manual. and do not carry any aircraft operating or general procedures manual.

For the airports that are Alternate and Provisonal, those Jeppesen charts are in a two-volume bound manual that Jeppesen publishes.

The airline has an employee at each major base, whose sole job is to update the aircraft library manuals and to replace the Alternate/Provisional Jeppesen manual when a new one is received. When a plane pulls in, they cart an entire set of manuals out to the airplane, swap out manuals if needed and replace the Jeppesen Alternate and Provisonal Route Manual, if needed.

The entire Jeppesen Manual removed from the aircraft is discarded into the trash whether it was used or not. The removed aircraft manuals are brought back to that employee's cubicle, where it is updated by that employee and it gets recycled to the next aircraft.

The other way I have seen it:
The pilots carry all the manuals, and the aircraft doesn't have any manuals, so your job wouldn't exist as there are no manuals to replace. I've also seen at another airline, where each pilot carries half the Jeppesen route manual, captain carries A-M, first officer carries N-Z. In both cases, the aircraft doesn't have a route manual for you to update.

I've seen Comair regional aircraft with the "Alternates Brick" a shrink-wrapped package of charts for the alternates/provisional airports. (Kind of like, open in case of emergency, and instructions on what to do with the brick after it's opened, but before it's replaced by a new one.) Their pilots carried the charts for their regular airports. When a new revision brick arrives and replaces the old brick, the old brick is discarded.

Either way there are no Jeppesen manuals to update with the Alternate/Provision Route Manual / Alternates Brick. You just unpack the new manual from the box Jeppesen sends it in, go out to the airplane, put it in the library, pull the old manual out and throw it away in the trash can before the aircraft cleaner empties the trash from the galley.

[Edited 2015-02-28 09:40:09]
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

alasizon

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 pm

For OO, a master set is kept with an aircraft and if there is a flight that isn't normally planned, someone brings out a new set of charts. At PHX, this is the responsibility of AirServ and before the first flight of the day, any charts that need to be changed out are.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 pm

Quoting Jagflyer (Thread starter):
My question to those in A.Net who are pilots or who deal with the route manuals are how are they handled at your company? Considering the amount of destinations some of the larger carriers fly to, how do the pilots who are issued sets of manuals able to keep a full inventory of all airports that their aircraft type fly to? Obviously the sets are tailored to the types of routes the crew may fly (ie. a regional-jet pilot would not have charts for destinations only reachable by the 777 and vice versa).

I'm not even on airliners and I dumped dead tree manuals after my first 50 hours or so. EFBs start around $75/year (ForeFlight Basic) plus the cost of an iPad Mini so not really a big expense, and multipilot licenses for the Pro version are less than $150/year/pilot.

The convenience and ease of use is on a whole other level.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flyDTW1992

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:53 pm

At the large US regional carrier I recently interned at, each pilot previously had a set, but they've now transitioned to iPads/Jeppesen FliteDeck Pro for each pilot.
Now you're flying smart