DocLightning
Topic Author

Heated Runways

Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Just wondering if any commercial airports in the world maintain heated runways. I know that a few towns (like Aspen, CO) maintain heated roads.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

metroliner

RE: Heated Runways

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:43 pm

There was a thread about ten years ago (digging out ancient wisdom is fun): Heated Runways? (by SLCPilot Dec 12 2004 in Tech Ops)

It's an interesting topic. How would heated runways affect costs like insurance, maintenance, the gradual accumulation of cash over the years paying for cranes to remove skidded-off planes? Would these costs weigh up against the cost of the system?

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

A342

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:51 pm

I agree with the last post in that thread: If there's a place to do it, it's Iceland  
Exceptions confirm the rule.

metroliner

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:11 pm

I believe there's technology out there to use geothermal energy to do this. Pretty cool!

http://www.icax.co.uk/Heated_Runway_Systems.html

I think the road to Gardermoen in Norway is also heated. If OSL (or KEF) were bigger I can imagine a business case.

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16 pm

Quoting metroliner (Reply 1):
It's an interesting topic. How would heated runways affect costs like insurance, maintenance, the gradual accumulation of cash over the years paying for cranes to remove skidded-off planes? Would these costs weigh up against the cost of the system?

Well, think about it. Heated runways do not need to be plowed. Ever. They would be expensive to install but they would decrease delays for airlines and mean no more plows.

You need to heat the runway to enough above freezing that any snow that touches it will melt immediately, so maybe +5-10C surface temperature.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

B6JFKH81

Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:56 am

Maybe these could take care of keeping runways clear and lit up:
http://www.solarroadways.com/intro.shtml
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

rwessel

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:55 am

There was a newer thread as well:

Heated Runways: Why Not? (by 777fan Feb 8 2010 in Tech Ops)

ZBBYLW

Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:20 pm

One issue I can think of is the massive amount of heat required. Runways are much thicker than roads so you would have to have the heating system pretty deep it's self. This would make it hard (impossible?) to access to fix leaks or blockages in a liquid system.

Perhaps if you could create a top layer that can be heated in panels that would withstand the abuse of airplanes landing on it day after day, month after month and year after year it may be cost effective for bigger airports (thinking YYZ, ORD, BOS etc..)
Keep the shinny side up!

oly720man

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:06 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 7):
One issue I can think of is the massive amount of heat required

This sort of thing has been considered with regards to towns with cold winters and they have a large underground storage of some fluid that is heated in the summer (assuming there is a suitably warm summer) and that heat is then released over the winter months.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

uka330

Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:48 pm

As it's been pointed out, there are older threads covering this already. So I will lock this thread.

Regards
Ross / UKA330
Forum Moderator