Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheSonntag
Topic Author

CFM claimed to be missing specs by huge margin

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:20 am

KarelXWB brouth up this in the A320NEO production thread, and I am sure this is worth its own thread in civ-av.

http://aeroturbopower.blogspot.de/2015/03/cfm-leap-1b-missing-sfc.html

This might be quite a huge blow if true, and might also be bad news for Boeing.

scbriml

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:44 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Thread starter):

If correct, engine exclusivity on the MAX might yet be a bad decision by Boeing. However, it looks like it will be CFM that will take most of the financial pain.

I expect all those neo customers who have yet to select an engine are on the phone to PW right about now.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BlueSky1976

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:03 pm

I would take this article with a big grain of salt.
Proudly avoiding 737 MAX since 18.11.2020.

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Quoting BlueSky1976 (Reply 2):

Certainly true, but the lack of good news on the LEAP is speaking a lot for itself.

holzmann

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Hard to compare with so little news...seemingly...about the GTF.
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

davs5032

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Quoting holzmann (Reply 4):

I've been seeing a lot of "rumor mill" type comments in the Cseries thread and others hinting that the GTF is actually exceeding performance specs - granted, such information should be taken with a grain of salt - but it's come from well-respected members who seem to be in a position to receive such information. If someone has anything more concrete, feel free to share, but I was under the impression the GTF was/is surrounded by optimism.

RickNRoll

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:23 pm

It's based on an article by Aspire Aviation, who would have to be the biggest Boeing fan boy out there.

mjoelnir

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Quoting holzmann (Reply 4):

Apart from that the PW1100G seems to be on or above spec and it is flying on the A320 and the Leap is delayed.

seahawk

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:30 pm

Aspire says so? That scares me a bit.

speedbored

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Why? The numbers seem about right for this stage of the engine development program - just look at previous new engines, many of which have been marginally below spec at EIS but have caught up with PiPs.

Just because rumours suggest that the GTF is running closer to spec right now doesn't mean that the LEAP is not "situation normal" at this stage. I'm pretty sure that PW were far more conservative with their initial specs for reasons that have already been discussed in many previous threads.

TP313

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Quoting RickNRoll (Reply 6):

It's based on an article by Aspire Aviation, who would have to be the biggest Boeing fan boy out there.

I never took seriously their Boeing cheerleading garbage, it's not now that I'll begin taking them seriously.

I'll wait until a credible source addresses this issue.

scbriml

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 pm

Quoting davs5032 (Reply 5):
but I was under the impression the GTF was/is surrounded by optimism.

I would categorise PW as being "quietly confident" they will better expectations/promises.

This!   
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Maybe the mods could change the title - I should have writtin CFM Leap claimed to be missing specs by huge margin.

Quoting speedbored (Reply 9):
I'm pretty sure that PW were far more conservative with their initial specs for reasons that have already been discussed in many previous threads.

Is there a direct comparision between the LEAP and the PW on the A320neo? Which one burns less fuel on similiar conditions?

mjoelnir

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Why? The numbers seem about right for this stage of the engine development program - just look at previous new engines, many of which have been marginally below spec at EIS but have caught up with PiPs.

5% below specs on the Leap B1 is hardly marginal.

Just because rumours suggest that the GTF is running closer to spec right now doesn't mean that the LEAP is not "situation normal" at this stage. I'm pretty sure that PW were far more conservative with their initial specs for reasons that have already been discussed in many previous threads.

I think CFM promised to be 2% better with the Leap A1 then the PW1100G whatever. So if PW was conservative with their initial specs, the situation is worse.

tommy1808

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 8):

they must have changed... 5% aspire sfc - fail would normally mean it burns more fuel than the old one CFM56. And that can't be true...

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 13):

iirc 5% is the sfc improvement the V2500 has seen over its lifetime.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

sirtoby

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 14):
they must have changed... 5% aspire sfc - fail would normally mean it burns more fuel than the old one CFM56

Why? The B737MAX was claimed to be 14% better on fuel burn than the B737NG, so the SFC difference should be in the same range!

tommy1808

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Quoting sirtoby (Reply 15):
Why?

I was joking. .. aspire isn't exactly know for looking too hard at numbers when doing so makes a Boeing product look bad aka they ate very biased. Just as they hope for the job once Randy retires...

Best regards
Thomas

mjoelnir

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 12):
Is there a direct comparision between the LEAP and the PW on the A320neo? Which one burns less fuel on similiar conditions?

Only the PW is flying on the A320. So no direct comparison. Perhaps later this year, but I doubt that Airbus will advertise a difference and leave it rather to the engine manufacturers.

Much more vague rumors about some performance comparisons have led to gloom and doom scenarios here on a.net.
If the 5% shortfall on the Leap 1b should be confirmed it would be bad news for Boeing.
Perhaps it could be the beginning of the end of running such big programs as the 737 on one engine choice.
Could Boeing manage to put the PW1000 on the 737? The PW1500G has a 1.85 m fan, only 9 cm bigger than the Leap 1b?

sirtoby

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 16):
I was joking.

AHH...missed that!

speedbored

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:58 pm

True, assuming the figure is correct.

But CFM and Boeing were aware from the start that the 1B was going to compromised by the possible fan size, and that the technical advancements necessary to counteract that would be tricky to achieve, so I would be very surprised if there has not already been contingency planning for possible changes to recover some of this shortfall, probably at the expense of a slight weight increase.

KarelXWB

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Perhaps Aspire is just trying to create a business case for the NSA   
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

sirtoby

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 20):

This is the job of the CIA!  

seahawk

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:09 pm

I thought it was an argument for the 757NEO with GTFs.

Ruscoe

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:17 pm

CFM and Boeing have 3 years to sort it out, and CFM and Airbus have 2 years to sort out a smaller fuel burn problem.

I expect both will be able to do it, and both manufacturers can get more out of the airframe.

Ruscoe

Francoflier

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 11):
I would categorise PW as being "quietly confident" they will better expectations/promises.

While CFM was being quite brash about the performance of their cub. Until they went dead quiet...
Echoing what I wrote in the NEO thread, I'm afraid CFM salesmen were writing checks their engineers couldn't quite cash.

Is it really surprising? The LEAP had to catch up with the performance advances of a whole new technology using only incremental improvements to an old one.

I, for one, am happy for P&W. Their product will finally pay for all the risk and effort the company has put in this brilliant design.
Now, let the orders rain.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 24):

It sounds a bit like the MD-11 or the Superfan, but I am sure CFM will get a useful design. For P & W, indeed I hope they come up with a good engine. Whether the engine will be as reliable as the CFM56 will be interesting to watch. The reliability of modern engines is absolutely stunning, so the limit is high.

scbriml

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Quoting Ruscoe (Reply 23):
CFM and Boeing have 3 years to sort it out

Less than that if they make their target EIS of "2017".

Quoting Ruscoe (Reply 23):
Airbus have 2 years to sort out a smaller fuel burn problem

Again, less than that. The LEAP powered neo is supposed to EIS in 2016.

sunrisevalley

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:43 pm

many of which have been marginally below spec at EIS but have caught up with PiPs.

Not sure that RR and GE have made spec yet on the 787 engines.

r2rho

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:46 pm

I'll wait to hear more rumors from other sources before giving it full credibility, but it is in line with what has been rumored in the NEO threads, and the lack of news from CFM could also be taken as an indication.

Let this be a warning - with A&B moving towards single-source engines on all new designs, they are also taking the risk of the engine supplier not meeting spec. RR better nail the T7000, GE better nail the GE9X, etc.

As for market impact, theoretically, if this rumor is confirmed, it should mean more orders for A320NEO, and more GTF's than Leaps being ordered. However in reality, as we are in a perfect duopoly, no one manufacturer (engine or airframe) can meet the entire demand, so there will always be a minimum market share for the "loser", it just won't be a 50-50 market split anymore. In addition, GE has some power through GECAS - they could offset the fuel burn miss with sweet leasing deals to keep the customers satisfied.

BestWestern

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:47 pm

The aspire article is impenetrable.

http://www.aspireaviation.com/2015/0...launch-hinges-on-737-max-progress/

Anyone who uses the word layman and inserts a mathematical equation just one line later deserves their article to be closed. However, I plodded through it.

And half way through he demonstrates that the king has no clothes

To be fair, there is no reason to believe that CFM International will not incorporate lessons learnt during the upcoming flight tests to recoup the 2% and 4-5% engine SFC shortfalls on the Leap-1A and -1B, respectively

And thats exactly what they tried to do - on the basis of ten days flying data from Australia to Indonesia and Malaysia, alongside Sydney to Chengdu.

[Edited 2015-03-19 06:47:41]
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

mjoelnir

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:12 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 14):

they must have changed... 5% aspire sfc - fail would normally mean it burns more fuel than the old one CFM56. And that can't be true...

They wanted to increas 15% compared to the CFM56. Missing the mark by 5% still leaves a +10% improvement over the CFM56.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 29):
And half way through he demonstrates that the king has no clothes

To be fair, there is no reason to believe that CFM International will not incorporate lessons learnt during the upcoming flight tests to recoup the 2% and 4-5% engine SFC shortfalls on the Leap-1A and -1B, respectively

The article in the thread start is from Aeroturbopower. And there quote:

" A shortfall of 2% can be corrected with a suitable performance improvement program (PIP), but a
shortfall of 5% in the case of the LEAP-1B cannot be corrected without a complete redesign of the engine, probably not without changing the whole engine architecture. GE needed two PIP’s to get the GEnx close to spec. One PIP touched the high pressure spool, effectively redesigning the whole HPC, the other touched the low pressure spool. Here the whole LPT was redesigned, getting more blades and vanes into the flowpath, as the original low number of blades and vanes proved to be too low. One should think that these "lessons learnt" were incorporated in the LEAP engines, so the current shortfall (and of course we don’t know from which components they stem from) should have different reasons than in the case of the GEnx."

They are commenting that the "rumors" are not coming from Aspire alone.

Richard28

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Quoting r2rho (Reply 28):
However in reality, as we are in a perfect duopoly, no one manufacturer (engine or airframe) can meet the entire demand, so there will always be a minimum market share for the "loser", it just won't be a 50-50 market split anymore.

If true, in this instance it would allow Airbus to charge extra $ for the A320neo and force Boeing to reduce the cost of the 737MAX to compete.

Even in a perfect duopoly, a better product would get an advantage, even if net unit sales were split evenly... it would all be about the margin/profit

EPA001

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Thread starter):

It sure would be bad news for all the customers who ordered the MAX. Because there is more space below the A320-wing, I expect the GE's to do better on the A320-neo then on the B737-MAX.

Quoting scbriml (Reply 1):
I expect all those neo customers who have yet to select an engine are on the phone to PW right about now.

Well, taking a call is easy. But delivering the number of engines is a lot harder. If many additional customers would shop at P&W they could be in trouble trying to cope with the extra demand.

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 3):
the lack of good news on the LEAP is speaking a lot for itself.

That is sadly enough is.

They usually are quite pro-Boeing. So no reason to suspect any foul play here.

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 7):
Apart from that the PW1100G seems to be on or above spec and it is flying on the A320 and the Leap is delayed.

Which is another indication on the status of the program.

And is beyond repair for what a PIP can do. That is the most serious issue here.

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 30):
They wanted to increas 15% compared to the CFM56. Missing the mark by 5% still leaves a +10% improvement over the CFM56.

Of course they will improve many things over the current standard of engines. But what counts is what was promised in the contracts and what they are seeming to come up with now. There will be some very nervous people at GE regarding this program.

[Edited 2015-03-19 07:38:49]

Aviaponcho

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Don't forget that the Leap1B is farer from EIS than Leap1B (2017 vs 2016) so that it as more time to mature (a little more...)

phillyramp270

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Boeing can forget about that premium for the MAX
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesu

Stitch

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 31):
If true, in this instance it would allow Airbus to charge extra $ for the A320neo and force Boeing to reduce the cost of the 737MAX to compete.

Engines are purchased separately from airframes, so P&W may be able to charge more and CFM might have to charge less.

tommy1808

Quoting aviaponcho (Reply 33):
Don't forget that the Leap1B is farer from EIS than Leap1B (2017 vs 2016) so that it as more time to mature (a little more...)

only that 5% is more than the V2500 managed over a 28 years project life...

Best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 32):
Well, taking a call is easy. But delivering the number of engines is a lot harder. If many additional customers would shop at P&W they could be in trouble trying to cope with the extra demand.

I don't see that's any different for CFM, but if PW has a significantly better product...   

UA444

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:49 pm

I hope PW retakes their crown as king of the engine suppliers.

KarelXWB

RE: CFM Claimed To Be Missing Specs By Huge Margin

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Quoting Richard28 (Reply 31):
Quoting Stitch (Reply 35):
Engines are purchased separately from airframes, so P&W may be able to charge more and CFM might have to charge less.

Pratt is going to increase the PW1000G list price later this year.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...ratt-whitney-hikes-gtf-list-prices
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Francoflier

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 35):

Well except that when your choice is between an aircraft with less efficient engines and a glider, the whole package seems much less attractive.

I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

AngMoh

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:08 pm

Quoting tommy1808 (Reply 16):
I was joking. .. aspire isn't exactly know for looking too hard at numbers when doing so makes a Boeing product look bad aka they ate very biased. Just as they hope for the job once Randy retires...

As far as I know Aspire are Boeing's biggest fanboys.... To them Airbus is s..t and Boeing is absolutely perfect in anything they do.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:14 pm

BTW a big thank you to the admins for changing the thread title. I had asked for this myself, since it is only one source and not a fact.

Ruscoe

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Boeing and CFM must have kept this very quiet because just 3 weeks ago, an unidentified customer ordered 50 Max.

Ruscoe

seahawk

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:05 pm

http://www.aspireaviation.com/2015/0...launch-hinges-on-737-max-progress/

The whole article from aspire does not sound too positive either. But then maybe they are just trying to push Boeing to do the MOM/NSA.

scbriml

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Quoting Ruscoe (Reply 43):
Boeing and CFM must have kept this very quiet because just 3 weeks ago, an unidentified customer ordered 50 Max.

Of course they'll still sell MAXes.   

But, prices for Boeing will likely be softer and CFM will be compensating the customers for the fuel efficiency shortfall. Not that bad from the customer's perspective - unless they needed all the range Boeing promised from their MAXes.

queb

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Ruscoe

Yes but SFC is not the only thing, if the customers can have a significantly lower price with CFM, the SFC is less important.

starrymarkb

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Ruscoe

Could come down to price or availability. I suspect potential customers would be fully aware of any shortfall, but if the aircraft's pros outweigh the missed fuel burn then they'll still sell. It looks like the Leap will still outperform the NG/CEO.

Revelation

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Yes, but to be fair, the exact quote from Aspire's article is "The Leap-1B engine is showing a 4-5% shortfall in specific fuel consumption (SFC) target and this does not involve any overweight issue, multiple sources at Boeing revealed. ".

By using the 4% figure the CFM optimists have just recovered 25% of the shortfall! 

LEAP was always going to be a challenge especially on the MAX. They were mostly tweaking aerodynamics and materials and not breaking any ground architecturally. I'm not at all surprised that they *may* be struggling to meet targets.

CFM has 5,000 LEAPs on order. It must not be fun to be on the team trying to hit the targets they've set.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

tommy1808

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 48):
this does not involve any overweight issue,

THAT is scary. .. shortfall on weight and sfc??

Best regards
Thomas