Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

threeifbyair
Topic Author

Size Of Runway & Taxiway Signage?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:22 am

I was absent-mindedly staring out the window last week in BOS as my flight taxied out to the runway. I noticed that, at least from my perspective, the taxiway and runway signage seems pretty small.

There are obviously no space constraints around airfields - quite the opposite. Given that the consequences of mis-reading a sign could be severe, I'd think that there would be good reasons for making them larger.

So, how big is a standard runway or taxiway sign? Why are they the size they are and not larger?

26point2

RE: Size Of Runway & Taxiway Signage?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:17 am

They are big enough. Planes don't taxi at highway speeds so the signs don't need to be bigger to be seen. Besides, they can't be taller or a low winged plane might clip the sign. Also, areas critical to flight safety such as taxiway/runway junctions are also clearly marked with Red signs, with painted taxiway markings, and in some cases embedded lighting and wig-wags. Runway incursion was an FAA hot button a few years ago so some additional "attention getters" were developed.

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 am

I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Jetlagged

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:40 pm

When you look out of a cabin window you are usually seeing the signage from an angle, so it's harder to read. The flight crew have a much better view.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

vikkyvik

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 3):
When you look out of a cabin window you are usually seeing the signage from an angle, so it's harder to read. The flight crew have a much better view.

I also find that everything on the ground looks smaller than it really is when viewed from a cabin window. I actually have a lot of difficulty estimating heights/sizes from there.

Here's a photo I took that better shows the size of a runway distance-remaining sign (taken at Lemoore NAS after the airshow - they routed traffic down one of the runways, which was pretty cool):

http://www.vksphoto.com/Airplanes/Air-Shows/Lemoore-Air-Show-101511/i-cZzMwWr/0/L/IMG_8184CS5%2010-15-11-L.jpg
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".