United Airline
Topic Author

Pilots/flight Attendants And University Degrees

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:17 am

I know plenty of pilots without degrees in Asia, Europe, Australia flying for Cathay Pacific, Qantas, Singapore Airlines, British Airways etc. What about in the US? From what I heard it is impossible to become a pilot without a University degree in the US. Is that true?

Plenty of flight attendants without degrees too flying for CX, SQ, QF etc especially CX (a few of my friends too). What about US airlines? I suppose most do?

I suppose USA has the highest number of U grads on earth.

flanker

RE: Pilots/flight Attendants And University Degrees

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:28 am

Quoting United Airline (Thread starter):
What about in the US? From what I heard it is impossible to become a pilot without a University degree in the US. Is that true

No it is not true, you do not need a degree. Experience/certs/hours is what counts. A degree does open more doors, but it is not needed to get into the industry.

rugger

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 am

I would say that "Degree strongly preferred" is more like it. It's not so much what your degree area is in as it is important that you completed the process. It shows you know how to manage goals.

B8887

Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:42 am

I am surprised you know a lot of FAs and pilots without degrees, especially pilots.

I know personally FAs working for EK that have University degrees and I know for a fact that there are FAs working for the ME3, the EU3 and the US3 that hold Masters and even Doctorate degrees and they are very happy with their jobs.

Regards.

B8887

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:14 am

From what I heard there are plenty of non U grads in the aviation industry. Sir Richard Branson is one of them. LOL

I also know FAs and pilots with University degrees if not masters degrees. But in general,

1) Most flight attendants I know are not U grads especially the ones flying for Cathay Pacific. My friend joined in 1989 when she was 20 and she told me that back then there was virtually no U grads working as FAs. A few later became Miss Hong Kong no 1/2/3. Now maybe 20%. In the old days the older generation had some nasty words regarding FAs especially in Hong Kong and many were not that eager to apply

2) Plenty of pilots (many are senior captains, captains) without degrees flying for CX, BA etc especially the older generation. Some were old folks from the air force.

I am surprised that it's possible to become a pilot without a degree even in the US. I suppose over 40% if not 50% of the US population are degree holders.

[email protected]

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:28 am

You don't need a degree to become cabin crew, and I am not really sure why you'd want to pursue one for such a role unless it's part of a bigger picture.

More and more airlines are now requiring a degree to become a pilot, with EK one of the latest. This trend is bound to continue given they can take their pick from the best from the continued huge interest in becoming pilots, hence many thousands of applicants for a tiny number of cadetships with BA/VS. BA/VS don't ask for a degree, but it is all about standing out.

What is crucial is future-proofing yourself and trying to protect against the downside. What if you're a pilot and you lose your Class I medical?

Furthermore, airlines, at least in Europe, are increasingly requiring their future pilots to know about the environmental problems, commercial challenges, financial issues, and so forth. I teach at CAE Oxford a few times a year to this end, and students at Oxford now have a mandatory degree built into their ATPL training.

A number of older pilots who don't have a degree - very commonplace in years gone by - wish to pursue jobs within management, but they often find it difficult to get accepted because they don't have a degree. So you see some older ones pursuing part-time degrees to 'tick the box' for future opportunities.

[Edited 2015-04-06 02:32:57]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:37 am

I don't see why U grads wanna become flight attendants either.

So is it possible to become a pilot without a degree still? For example the ones from the Air Force or one that is from a flying school? I know a young guy who became a pilot without a degree a few years ago.

So if a CX/SQ captain want to apply for a job as a captain at EK but he or she doesn't have a degree will his/her application be considered?

[Edited 2015-04-06 02:39:07]

Luftfahrer

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:48 am

While it is probably not needed it seems smart to get a degree before starting a pilot career. Given the volatility of the industry and the high requirements to retain a pilot's license, it is far from guaranteed to stay in the profession until retirement. Having another qualification means more options to find employment in other fields, or perhaps even within another department of an airline.

[Edited 2015-04-06 03:03:41]
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

[email protected]

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 6):
So if a CX/SQ captain want to apply for a job as a captain at EK but he or she doesn't have a degree will his/her application be considered?

Don't know given that; it might just be for brand-new hires. Google is your friend.

is it possible to become a pilot without a degree still?
BA, for example, stipulate 5 UK GCSEs at C or above, and either BBC or above at A Level or a degree at 2.2 level or above. I rather suspect that their cadets get much higher than those minimums.

Yes, you don't necessarily need a degree, but competition is ordinarily immense. If you get excellent exam marks in your ATPL etc, are very good at interviews, show excellent aptitude, show real interest in flying, etc., then no doubt fine. It also somewhat depends on the airline to which you apply.

Really, it's down to the individual, but I'd consider the degree of competition, what might happen if you lose your licence, and what might happen if you wish to move to a management role.

[Edited 2015-04-06 02:51:54]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Dalmd88

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:51 am

So is it possible to become a pilot without a degree still? For example the ones from the Air Force or one that is from a flying school? I know a young guy who became a pilot without a degree a few years ago.

To be a pilot in the US Air Force or US Navy you have to be an officer, which means you need a degree. So any pilot with that background is going to have a degree.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 9):
To be a pilot in the US Air Force or US Navy you have to be an officer, which means you need a degree. So any pilot with that background is going to have a degree.

USA yes. What about other countries like the UK, Australia etc?

I suppose most people are U grads in the US and it is almost impossible to become rich and successful without a degree (if not a Harvard MBA) unless one is Bill Gates or Michael Dell or Steve Jobs

flanker

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 10):
I suppose most people are U grads in the US and it is almost impossible to become rich and successful without a degree (if not a Harvard MBA) unless one is Bill Gates or Michael Dell or Steve Jobs

Wow, any other conclusions you want to jump to from your plethora of knowledge about life in the States?

BravoOne

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:23 pm

The odds that you would get into any military flight program here in the US are overwhelmingly against you. Maybe a Warrant Officer program in the US Army...don't know todays requirements. Pretty sure that DAL, UAL or AA are not likely to hire any pilots these days without a four year degree. I believe DAL even wants your GPA for those years in school.

eastern747

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't think you need a degree to be a pilot or F/A. Of course it does help, as you have you are alot more aware of the world in general. Now if your degree is Art History, or animal medicine etc. who cares. I'd be impressed knowing my PIC has a wealth of information about 16th century French art. In the 70s 80s and even 90s, many front end crew came from the military, with experience in combat flying and aircraft carrier landing and take offs. Think I'm wrong? Fly SW some time!!!LOLOL Many F/As joined because of the flexible schedules, that gave them the opportunity to get a degree. I graduated from the University of Maryland in the morning and was off in the afternoon to MIA for training. NOT ONE DAY FRIGGIN OFF! Now I was recruited by Eastern, National, Braniff and United. Still think I made the best pick. I was a business major with a major in transportation. Steamships, airlines, railroads, and trucking. I wanted to work for Canadian Pacific, as they had all of them, but I was American and that wasn't going to happen.

AADC10

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:27 pm

A degree is not a requirement for flight attendants but I was told by a relative that everyone in her CO/UA FA training class had a degree (although some of them may have lied). Like many businesses, college is used as a filter rather than a training ground. If you have the skills to get through college, then the thinking is that they have their act more together than those that only got through high school or dropped out of college.

slider

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 pm

As a pilot, if you don't have that degree, you're at a gross disadvantage unless you have dramatically more hours and more quality hours from a competitive standpoint.

b727fa

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 pm

I have two masters degrees. I use them EVERY day in this work. I'd be miserable using them in the field for which they were "intended."
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

FLIHGH

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:48 pm

At this point in time, it doesn't matter in the regionals. They've been hiring people based on phone interviews alone. Back at my flight school where I got my private, the CFI I worked with got three offers once he hit the minimum 1500 despite having no aviation major (he got all of his licenses, etc at that flight school). They're desperate, especially for people to be based in WAS.

Once you have the time in the regionals, the majors will hire you with no issues. My neighbor back home (before I came to Purdue) flies the busses for UAL with no degree.

It is easier to go for a aviation degree, as we now only need 1000 hours to be hired by a regional instead of the 1500. Only a few schools have this, though, in the US.

Jamake1

Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

The best life choice I ever made for myself was using the flexibility of my flying schedule to earn my undergrad. The process taught me the importance of having a back-up plan and also the importance of keeping one's skill-set relevant. I fly with flight attendants who have law degrees; are practicing psychologists and university professors...just to name a few.
Come fly the sun.

PGNCS

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:04 am

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 9):
Quoting United Airline (Reply 6):So is it possible to become a pilot without a degree still? For example the ones from the Air Force or one that is from a flying school? I know a young guy who became a pilot without a degree a few years ago.

Correct, and thanks for mentioning that. There may still be small exceptions in the Army but they are and have always been a tiny minority of US military pilots.

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 9):To be a pilot in the US Air Force or US Navy you have to be an officer, which means you need a degree. So any pilot with that background is going to have a degree.

Well since it was YOUR question ("From what I heard it is impossible to become a pilot without a University degree in the US. Is that true?") he answered exactly what you asked.

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 12):
Pretty sure that DAL, UAL or AA are not likely to hire any pilots these days without a four year degree. I believe DAL even wants your GPA for those years in school.

And you'd be right. Occasionally it happens or sometimes a regional flow guy has no degree, but if you are coming off the street majors will not be very interested without a 4-year degree minimum (I have a Master's and have flown with several Ph.D.'s and NUMEROUS other advanced degree holders.)

Quoting Slider (Reply 15):
As a pilot, if you don't have that degree, you're at a gross disadvantage unless you have dramatically more hours and more quality hours from a competitive standpoint.

That is a good summary.

Quoting FLIHGH (Reply 17):
Once you have the time in the regionals, the majors will hire you with no issues.

No issues? Not so much unless you flow.

Quoting FLIHGH (Reply 17):
My neighbor back home (before I came to Purdue) flies the busses for UAL with no degree.

That is certainly the exception and not the rule. I do a lot of OE with new hires and have encountered exactly none without a 4-year degree and many with advanced degrees.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:40 am

To be an FA, certainly not.

To be a pilot you don't have to have a degree, however it's almost impossible to get a "top tier" pilot job unless you have a degree. Top tier meaning the big 3, FDX, UPS...
Chicks dig winglets.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 am

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 20):
To be a pilot you don't have to have a degree, however it's almost impossible to get a "top tier" pilot job unless you have a degree. Top tier meaning the big 3, FDX, UPS...

What do you mean by top tier?

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 19):
That is certainly the exception and not the rule. I do a lot of OE with new hires and have encountered exactly none without a 4-year degree and many with advanced degrees.
Quoting Flanker (Reply 11):
Wow, any other conclusions you want to jump to from your plethora of knowledge about life in the States?

My guess. Sorry if I made a wrong guess.

I suppose Americans are the most educated group on earth with over 50% U grads? Hong Kong maybe 10%.

It seems that all the top shots in the US are talking about ivy league, multiple number of degrees, Harvard MBA etc. US firms are very concerned about tertiary education.

In the UK, Hong Kong things are not as dry. You see plenty of top shots/CEOs without degrees. For example: You need a masters degree to sit for the AICPA whilest in Hong Kong you DO NOT need a degree in order to sit for the Hong Kong CPA exam. In the UK it is also possible to become a Chartered Accountant (from what I heard this is more prestigious than the AICPA. It is awarded by the Queen), ACCA without a degree. Also it is possible to become a lawyer without a degree in Hong Kong and the UK (though the path is very long) but NO WAY in the US. You need a first degree in order to do a law degree.

You hear MANY stories of the super rich/famous/success and top shots without degrees in Hong Kong but seldom in the US. The minister of Education in Hong kong is not a degree holder. Also the former CEO/senior partner of KPMG Marvin Cheung.

I have never seen a non U grad being the chairman and CEO of any US airlines. But Cathay Pacific/Dragonair had a few non-U grad chairmen and CEOs before. Stephen Miller is one of them

The situation is very different especially in Hong Kong. Tertiary education was NOT common until recently. For many years Hong Kong had only 1-2 Universities.

That's it.

My 2 cents.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:43 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 21):
What do you mean by top tier?

Highest paying with the best quality of life. Delta, American, United, FedEx, UPS, and somewhat Southwest.
Chicks dig winglets.

United Airline
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:32 am

Do you need a degree to get into the UK/Australian air force? I know a few uncle friends who do not have one but that was before (They are all over 80 years old)

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 22):
Highest paying with the best quality of life. Delta, American, United, FedEx, UPS, and somewhat Southwest.

That's the difference. Many CX pilots are not U grads and you can still apply without a degree. The top tiers=no way. Competition is tough even in Hong kong and the UK but at least one has a chance without a degree. USA= no chance

Go to: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...areers/jobs-in-the-air/pilots.html

Entry Requirements

In addition to a strong passion for aviation, you will need to have:

Have an excellent command of written and spoken English

Have completed secondary school and have good passes in mathematics and science, or have a degree or diploma, or have passes in all ATPL subjects

Be physically fit and qualify for a Class I Medical

The minimum height of a Cadet Pillot applicant for consideration is 157.5cm. AE and TT applicants must meet flight deck reach requirements.

vc10

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:37 pm

I can see no reason for an airline to specify that a new pilot applicant should have a degree other than it helps to sieve out the possible large number of initial applicants. I believe a lot of good future pilots are lost with this requirement

A degree is possibly used to show that the applicant has the capability of absorbing information that a pilot needs, but I have to wonder whether a degree in History [as good as that is]
is of any value to a person [pilot] trying to absorb technical/engineering information

Now I suppose there has to be some minimum educational qualifications, but I feel they should have some relevance to the proposed future job. I have also heard that the higher qualification are required for future promotion
say to management , but I have seen some examples of this thinking in my career ,and I do not think it stands up. If a pilot is required to become a manager then the company can send him/her to a business school in advance to learn the skills required.
Anyway most of the pilots that I have known do the job mainly because they love flying and would not do a management job for love nor money.

There are other qualities that are needed to be a good airline pilot other than being able to absorb all the information that is thrown at you, and they include being able to get along with people, both other crew members and ground staff never mind I suppose the passengers,
but again you do not need a degree to be taught them.

I do think a company can miss out on very good future employees by setting the initial standards too high, and so exclude people who have a fantastic aptitude for the job but are excluded because their academic qualification are not of the highest level, but still more than sufficient to do the job

zeke

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:18 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 5):
More and more airlines are now requiring a degree to become a pilot, with EK one of the latest.

That is not the case with EK, I know people as recently as 11 weeks ago that applied online, 2 days later were contacted, and within 7 days in DXB for an interview (and passed). They are very short, they are not turning people away.

What is crucial is future-proofing yourself and trying to protect against the downside. What if you're a pilot and you lose your Class I medical?

Very sound advice for anyone, not just people involved in aviation.

I teach at CAE Oxford a few times a year to this end, and students at Oxford now have a mandatory degree built into their ATPL training.

This is very common now, with the amount of content that goes into a real ATPL, it exceeds many "diploma" level courses.

A number of older pilots who don't have a degree - very commonplace in years gone by - wish to pursue jobs within management, but they often find it difficult to get accepted because they don't have a degree. So you see some older ones pursuing part-time degrees to 'tick the box' for future opportunities.

Very true, however a PHD in people skills seems to still be lacking.

I don't see why U grads wanna become flight attendants either.

Many people do it as a 2 year working holiday to see the world, see no problem with that. Other I know do a degree while working as a FA, and use the downtime down route to study.

Of course, probably would get a direct entry command.

Still possible, UK has trimmed down a few years back, so they are still looking at people they let go.

In the UK, Hong Kong things are not as dry.

As you know HKG is market based. A degree means nothing by itself, the life as a pilot will require a lot of self learning, and motivation to dig into the manuals, and the ability to conduct research. You dont need a degree to do that, you do need a learning process. I have see people on dairy farms with very sound processes, without a HSC or a university degree, however able to navigate the web, look at market trends, read industry updates, understand futures pricing, install robotics into their farm, increase production etc.

The selection process at CX is not a box ticking exercise, without a degree you can assess candidates through other ways of testing.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 23):

Do you need a degree to get into the UK/Australian air force?

No, pilots are still taken from school, the Air Force may put you through university.

Quoting vc10 (Reply 24):
A degree is possibly used to show that the applicant has the capability of absorbing information that a pilot needs, but I have to wonder whether a degree in History [as good as that is]
is of any value to a person [pilot] trying to absorb technical/engineering information

People always ask me what to study if they want to be a pilot, I always tell them something you are interested in, not aviation. If history is something you are interested in, go for it, a lot of people do history/law, history/business.

If someone has an licence or aviation degree, no airline is going to give them a free pass to the cockpit, they will need to meet all the other requirements.

I always tell people to start flying as early as possible, you can always still study while flying.

Never put all your eggs in one basket, especially when young, give yourself options and opportunities.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

PGNCS

Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 am

I have never seen a non U grad being the chairman and CEO of any US airlines. But Cathay Pacific/Dragonair had a few non-U grad chairmen and CEOs before. Stephen Miller is one of them

The situation is very different especially in Hong Kong. Tertiary education was NOT common until recently. For many years Hong Kong had only 1-2 Universities.

What is your point? You asked a question about pilots and flight attendants in the US, not about the qualifications to become CEO of a major airline in the US versus Hong Kong. I think you have received several very well-written and authoritative answers to your question.

Quoting zeke (Reply 25):
Never put all your eggs in one basket, especially when young, give yourself options and opportunities.

Your reply was the best of the bunch, zeke, but in particular this conclusion is gold for anyone entering the labor force in any field (and especially aviation.)

Max Q

Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:50 am

Quoting BravoOne (Reply 12):
Pretty sure that DAL, UAL or AA are not likely to hire any pilots these days without a four year degree. I believe DAL even wants your GPA for those years in school.

I think that's probably accurate these days but I was hired by as a Second Officer by a US Major at 24 years old without a degree.I did have a pretty decent amount of experience but times have changed.

Having a degree in the US is far more important for any decent job than the rest of the world.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Flighty

Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:01 am

Degrees are useless in daily work. Mainly they are a symbol of class. Also, that you have at least normal intelligence, and are not totally crazy/dysfunctional/wildly ignorant. Not that people without degrees are; only that they might be.

benjjk

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:09 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 28):
Degrees are useless in daily work. Mainly they are a symbol of class. Also, that you have at least normal intelligence, and are not totally crazy/dysfunctional/wildly ignorant. Not that people without degrees are; only that they might be

Could not agree more. The only thing that a degree by itself proves is that that person could stick to it for a few years. Not trying to disrespect anybody with one, but at the end of the day it is just a piece of paper.

Starlionblue

Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:13 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 28):
Degrees are useless in daily work. Mainly they are a symbol of class.

That very much depends on the degree. For example medical degrees tend to involve quite a bit of practical work and as such are preparation for "reality".

In the case of things like Economics degrees they may not be that useful when it comes to daily doings but they do give a certain framework. More importantly, a (decent) degree indicates to an employer that you were willing and able to put in the not inconsiderable work required to get one.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BravoOne

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:32 am

As far as degrees go when up against airline pilot hiring I'm sure you will find the legacy airlines along with FedEx and maybe SWA will hire the most qualified applicants possible. In the case of Delta I know that they are the largest employer of USAF Academy graduates outside the DOD and that does not even include USN Academy or West Point grads. I know that not only do they want the degree but also look hard at how many years it took to finish school and what your final GPA average was. Community service and other outside activities can weigh in the final decision as well. It's very competitive 

atct

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 27):
Having a degree in the US is far more important for any decent job than the rest of the world.

I have a "decent" job making six+ figures and all I have is a lousy associate's degree. I worked hard and networked right. Once your foot is in the door, networking and hard work will get you much further than any piece of paper. Especially in the US aviation industry. I'd wager it's 90% networking.
Trikes are for kids!

Max Q

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 32):
I have a "decent" job making six+ figures and all I have is a lousy associate's degree. I worked hard and networked right. Once your foot is in the door, networking and hard work will get you much further than any piece of paper. Especially in the US aviation industry. I'd wager it's 90% networking.

Agree with you mostly atc but I don't think that's so true with Airline hiring these days.
Networking can help but as far as i know all Majors want a 4 yr degree these days.

Best wishes.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:25 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 33):
Agree with you mostly atc but I don't think that's so true with Airline hiring these days.
Networking can help but as far as i know all Majors want a 4 yr degree these days.

Spot on.... you've got to network and have a 4 year degree these days.
Chicks dig winglets.

sturmovik

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:09 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 20):
Top tier meaning the big 3, FDX, UPS...

At MIT, I know of at least two commercial pilots working on master's degrees. One of them flies for FX, and is a class mate. We've also had an AA captain, who did grad school here a decade ago, come in and teach us a course on automation in aerospace systems. He was quite impressive.
'What's it doing now?'

atct

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:54 pm

As far as I can find of who is hiring, here is the following education requirements among Legacy/Major carriers. As far as regional's (and Southern Air, NAC, etc.) most of those are "Do you have two legs and a heartbeat? ATP? You're Hired!"

Spirit
Preferred - Undergraduate degree from an Accredited Four Year College or University.

AA
No Requirement or Preference Listed

United
Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university is preferred
-Note: I know many UA pilots without a degree.

Delta
Graduate of a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Dept. of Education recognized accrediting organization.

Allegiant
High School diploma or equivalent; College preferred

Virgin America
College Degree Preferred

Southwest
High School diploma or equivalency required.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college preferred

NetJets
No Requirement

XOJet
No Requirement

UPS
Preferred: Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university
Trikes are for kids!

BravoOne

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting atct (Reply 36):
-Note: I know many UA pilots without a degree.

True but when were these pilots hired? There was a time (mid 60's) when both UAL and TWA hired "some" pilots with only a PPL and worked them through the whole process of obtaining the Com/Instrument/MEL. I knew a TWA pilot that was a DDS and applied, was hired and finished his career as a TWA Captain on the L1011. That was long ago and not likely to be recreated here in the US.

I'm pretty familiar with a couple of ab initio programs in the works and EK has one that will water your eyes. Time will tell....

ThrottleHold

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:00 am

More and more airlines are now requiring a degree to become a pilot, with EK one of the latest

There's no requirement for a degree at EK.

zeke

Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 38):
There's no requirement for a degree at EK.

They have also just reduce their hour requirement.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

CRJ900

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:01 pm

My Bachelor degree as a Registered Nurse (and years of experience as a hospital nurse) was a very important factor in landing me a job as an FA. I'm not supposed to be a nurse as an FA, but they shout my name every time we have an ill passenger and I'm onboard as either active or deadheading crew, so I stay pretty current with my education, which is nice.

I became a RN to have something that is guaranteed to give me work until I'm 90, there is a huge need for nurses everywhere and that need will just get bigger. But I hope that I can fly for many more years, 'cos that's what I love the most.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Viscount724

Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:19 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 4):
I suppose over 40% if not 50% of the US population are degree holders.

That's much too high. As of 2012, just over 30% of the U.S. population over age 25 had degrees.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/ed...-degrees-at-record-level.html?_r=0