Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alasizon
Topic Author

US/AA E175 Operations

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Just curious for those in the know; how are these flights ground handled in PHL/CLT? Is it purely Piedmont doing above and below or does mainline get involved in one way or the other (given that the E175 is more of a mainline plane and has all of the servicing on the opposite side compared with the CRJ/ERJ/Dash)?

Also, does AA handle them the same way in DFW/LAX/MIA?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Cubsrule

RE: US/AA E175 Operations

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 pm

I believe it goes by the gate used at all US hubs. That means mainline at PHL and CLT (where they use gates on B/C) and a mix at DCA (where they use both contact gates and "Gate" 35X.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

flyDTW1992

Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting Alasizon (Thread starter):
Also, does AA handle them the same way in DFW/LAX/MIA?

There aren't any E175 ops for AA yet in DFW, and LAX is just getting started. But at ORD where all of YX's AA E175s operate, they're handled entirely by Envoy ground handlers. I assume at AA hubs, RPA's E175s, since they are all flying as American Eagle at this point, will be handled the same way across the board.
Now you're flying smart

Woodreau

Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:51 am

American Eagle ground handling (including 170/175s operated for American) at MIA / LAX / ORD / DFW is currently done by Envoy - even though they may not have a flight crew base there, i.e. MIA / LAX / JFK / LGA

[Edited 2015-04-24 19:52:22]
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

wn676

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Thread starter):
Just curious for those in the know; how are these flights ground handled in PHL/CLT? Is it purely Piedmont doing above and below or does mainline get involved in one way or the other (given that the E175 is more of a mainline plane and has all of the servicing on the opposite side compared with the CRJ/ERJ/Dash)?

The 170/175s have been handled by mainline. This dates back to the early part of last decade when they were originally flown as part of Mid-Atlantic. If I'm not mistaken, MDA used the US operating certificate and utilized mainline employees working on a separate pay scale. After the planes were sold off to Republic, mainline continued to handle them below the wing. Not sure where this stands with the new contract last year but this is one of the reasons you see them parking at mainline gates at PHL/CLT.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

apodino

Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 4):
The 170/175s have been handled by mainline. This dates back to the early part of last decade when they were originally flown as part of Mid-Atlantic. If I'm not mistaken, MDA used the US operating certificate and utilized mainline employees working on a separate pay scale. After the planes were sold off to Republic, mainline continued to handle them below the wing. Not sure where this stands with the new contract last year but this is one of the reasons you see them parking at mainline gates at PHL/CLT.

Actually they were originally handled on the F concouse in PHL, which is Piedmont. Someone in PHL decided it would be better if they used B and C since the F concourse was designed for smaller regional jets and I believe with the space in F, 170s would do to an F gate what a widebody plane parked on a narrowbody gate in B would do to that gate. I believe they didnt move to B and C until RAH started taking over. As for the flight crews, they were mainline crews under what became known as the Jets for Jobs program.

I believe the E170s would have the same problem with the G gates in ORD which is why they use former mainline gates on H. The problem AA now has in ORD is not enough gates as they clearly want to upgauge 50 seaters to bigger planes and also upgauge some existing 170 flying to mainline. This is also a problem they will run into in LAX as the remote terminal was not designed for a plane like the 170.

For what its worth, DL and UA also utilize mainline gates in some of their hubs for E Jet flying. The E Jets for UA are all out of B or C in ORD for example. DL parks theirs in MSP at either Low C, D or F, which are all mainline, and in DTW I believe they park on the Odd side of A which is the former DC-9 gates.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Quoting wn676 (Reply 4):
After the planes were sold off to Republic, mainline continued to handle them below the wing. Not sure where this stands with the new contract last year but this is one of the reasons you see them parking at mainline gates at PHL/CLT.

This isn't quite true with regard to CLT. Here's the history there: In the MDA days, CLT saw very little E70 service, as PSA CR7s were more or less confined to CLT and E70s served the other hubs (primarily PIT until it drew down, then PHL/DCA). There were fewer than 5 daily flights, and they used mainline gates.

Fast-forward to the HP merger: almost immediately after the merger, YV CR9s and some HP mainline came to CLT. This was before US cut over to SHARES, so US installed SHARES on the low C gates in CLT. The CR9s generally used the low even-numbered gates; HP used the low odd-numbered gates.

In 2007-2008, RW began coming to CLT in greater numbers, and the E75s used E gates. Around 2009, they swapped the CR9s and E75s so that RW now uses mainline gates (generally odd-numbered low C gates) and YV and now PSA CR9s use E.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ams747757

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 5):
Actually they were originally handled on the F concouse in PHL, which is Piedmont. Someone in PHL decided it would be better if they used B and C since the F concourse was designed for smaller regional jets and I believe with the space in F, 170s would do to an F gate what a widebody plane parked on a narrowbody gate in B would do to that gate. I believe they didnt move to B and C until RAH started taking over. As for the flight crews, they were mainline crews under what became known as the Jets for Jobs program.

Ahhh this is explains why when I flew an E175 a couple years ago the gate which originally said F was moved to C and then later B.

wn676

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 5):

Prior to RAH taking over the flying, weren't they handled by MDA and not Piedmont? It's the ground handling aspect I'm speaking to; those fleet employees I believe were brought back into the regular mainline classification which is why the RAH flights continued to be handled by mainline, regardless of what concourse they were on.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.