Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andreew
Topic Author

Regarding Entry Requirements - Cranfield MSc

Sat May 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Hey fellow avgeeks!

I have two questions about MSc in Air Transport Management and their entry requirements.

It says that you should have at least a 2:1 upper class honour. As of today my grades looks as follows:

4 x C
3 x A
7 x B

Based on ECTS

Does this count as a second upper class? At my University A equals 90%, B equals 80% and C equals 70%.

My other question is about "shown interest in the industry". People say that I can prove my interest in the aviation industry and that way show that I am suitable for that program. Of course I love this industry and I truly believe I could contribute to it through my interest. However, how do I prove it? It seems a little bit unprofessional to state my passion for the industry to get into a program?

I work at ARN during summers as a ramp agent. Can this working experience be the proof of my interest in the industry?

I would appreciate some insights to my inquiries!

Regards!

[Edited 2015-05-16 13:04:22]

JRadier

RE: Regarding Entry Requirements - Cranfield MSc

Sat May 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Cranfield alumni here, so I'll try and see what I can do. I don't know anything about 2:1, so I'll leave that to others.

Quoting andreew (Thread starter):
My other question is about "shown interest in the industry". People say that I can prove my interest in the aviation industry and that way show that I am suitable for that program. Of course I love this industry and I truly believe I could contribute to it through my interest. However, how do I prove it? It seems a little bit unprofessional to state my passion for the industry to get into a program?

I work at ARN during summers as a ramp agent. Can this working experience be the proof of my interest in the industry?

You'll be fine! As long as you are interested in learning more about aviation (why would you otherwise do the course..) you're good to go. Part of the selection procedure is (or at least was) a phone interview, and they will ask why you want to join the course. As long as you have a good answer to that you'll be ok. Don't take the word 'proof' too literally.

If you have more questions please let me know.

andreew
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 1):
Quoting JRadier (Reply 1):
You'll be fine! As long as you are interested in learning more about aviation (why would you otherwise do the course..) you're good to go. Part of the selection procedure is (or at least was) a phone interview, and they will ask why you want to join the course. As long as you have a good answer to that you'll be ok. Don't take the word 'proof' too literally.

If you have more questions please let me know.

Thank you for the reply!

Did you attend that course? How was it? Where in the aviation industry did you end up?

Cheers!

SCQ83

Sun May 17, 2015 7:29 am

Well I am not familiar with that university, but if you have made your undergrad in Sweden (I assume) and you pretend to do a Master in the UK, the university itself or the related British University system should have equivalences. Grades do not translate automatically between countries. It should work on your favor though.

I would say that working as a ramp agent in ARN definitely would qualify as a "related experience". Usually for admissions in American universities (and I assume in the UK to a lesser extent) is your "story" also what counts (not just hard numbers such as grades). So your "prove" is already your experience working in ARN and you should write a nice fairy tale out of it.

JRadier

Sun May 17, 2015 7:33 am

Quoting andreew (Reply 2):
Did you attend that course? How was it? Where in the aviation industry did you end up?

I attended ATM around 3 years ago and I had a blast. It was a great experience and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it. I've been back as a guest lecturer twice and the same spirit still seems to be there!

After Cranfield I ended up at the airline I worked before in a scheduling/coordinating role, but people literally went everywhere. The ME3 are actively recruiting people from Cranfield and I know of people who had offers from all 3. Cranfield looks really good on your resume.

[email protected]

Sun May 17, 2015 9:09 am

My MSc is A.T.M. from Cranfield, and I'd very strongly recommend it as it is world-leading and great value. It'll really open doors and help make you stand out. In terms of your grades, contact them and ask (remember, you're a potential 'customer'!):
https://webapps2.cranfield.ac.uk/webforms/form.jsp?formId=126637

A friend of mine has a very senior airline job but he did an Executive MSc at Cranfield. I met him there and my first question was: given your excellent job, why bother with this MSc? His reply? Because everyone above him had done it. I think this nicely goes to the heart of it.

I am 100% pleased I did it.

Any questions, let me know.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

JRadier

Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 5):
My MSc is A.T.M. from Cranfield, and I'd very strongly recommend it as it is world-leading and great value.

Figured you would see this thread  

I agree with everything you sad mate!

AIRWALK

Sun May 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Quoting andreew (Thread starter):
Does this count as a second upper class? At my University A equals 90%, B equals 80% and C equals 70%.

They use this in the UK to compare qualifications:

http://www.naric.org.uk/naric/

It is however a paid service, usually on the request of an employer. In your case it would be best to call or email the university and ask about your qualifications. They usually have a conversion table themselves.

Best Regards
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

andreew
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Cheers for the replies!

I am eager for this program, especially after your recommendations! How large are the classes compared to applications for this program? I assume that Cranfield can be very selective in choosing candidates?

Quoting AIRWALK (Reply 7):
They use this in the UK to compare qualifications:

http://www.naric.org.uk/naric/

It is however a paid service, usually on the request of an employer. In your case it would be best to call or email the university and ask about your qualifications. They usually have a conversion table themselves.

I sent an enquiry to Cranfield the other day so they will hopefully give me some insight soon! Cheers