Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dlramp4life
Topic Author

US Ground Handling Market Share

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Hey all I know this is a long shot but I was wondering what the overall market share is for ground handlers in the US.. Companies like ASIG,AGI,GSI,Swissport,TBI,CAS,TAS,ATS,Menzies,Jetstream, GAT, and so forth.. I have been searching all over the internet and have not come up with much of anything and need this info for a project... Thank you for your help

xjramper

RE: US Ground Handling Market Share

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:12 am

Ground handling is a term, much like "general aviation", that is most often mis-used. In what capacity are you referring to? Ground handling for the ramp, ticket counter, gates, baggage service? Some or all of the above? Are you just referring to ground handlers as in that is all the company is designed to do (ie no operating certificate for airline) unlike DGS or Skywest (when they did ramp) or Air Wisconsin?

I have a feeling that you are going to have a hard time figuring this information out. Not only do you have multiple ground handlers that function in just that capacity, but ground handling is often contracted out with other airlines. The best example I can think of is the ramp work for Delta in Hawaii. All below wing ramp work is done by Hawaiian. When I worked for Airwhiskey in Daytona, we handled both above and below wing for the United Express and Air Tran contracts.

I have a feeling that you are going to need to change or at least deviate from what your project is going to entail as there are too many variables in this question.
Look ma' no hands!

northwestEWR

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:55 am

I don't know the answer to your question but I imagine DGS and Envoy are the two largest players. DGS is at just about every airport I can think of where I know the contracts....

Delta's operations in ATL look like this:
Ramp/Gate: Delta
Cabin Cleaning/Service/Wheelchairs/Employee Busses: AirServ (and they absolutely suck)
Catering: GateGourmet
Lav Service: GAT
Deicing: Delta
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

KGRB

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:14 am

Don't forget Piedmont. They aren't as large as Envoy or DGS, but they do handle a large number of the US Airways Express/American Eagle outstations on the east coast. They also handle the ramp and customer service functions for US Airways Express at PHL, DCA, CLT, and PHX.
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

alasizon

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:20 am

I think that DGS is by far the largest followed by Envoy, Piedmont and Swissport/Servisair.

AA is realigning MQ and EN pretty regularly at the out stations. Does appear that at the major hubs it will be aligned along the merging sides.

CLT, DCA, PHL and PHX will be EN
DFW, ORD and MIA will be MQ

I am not sure what will happen with LAX, JFK and BOS.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

INFINITI329

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:03 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 2):
Lav Service: GAT

Whats the benefit of contracting out lav service that makes no sense to me

DarkSnowyNight

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:31 am

Quoting xjramper (Reply 1):

Ground handling is a term, much like "general aviation", that is most often mis-used. In what capacity are you referring to? Ground handling for the ramp, ticket counter, gates, baggage service? Some or all of the above? Are you just referring to ground handlers as in that is all the company is designed to do (ie no operating certificate for airline) unlike DGS or Skywest (when they did ramp) or Air Wisconsin?

Yeah, no kidding. It gets a bit more complex when you add in things like maintenance & engineering (Swissport does a lot of this by way of example) to what these companies do at a given airfield.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

dlramp4life
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Well after some more research, I compared companies by their SIC code which was a 458100 for most which is classified as airprots, airfields, and flying services. I work for a company that provides all services at an airport ranging from cargo warehousing to ground handling to fueling, we are a one stop shop. I could not find info on DGS though because I could not get an accurate number for their overall sales.

Of course Swissport takes the crown with an 24% market share while ASIG follows behind at 16% and it goes down from there with all the various companies.

northwestEWR

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:32 am

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 5):
Whats the benefit of contracting out lav service that makes no sense to me

Probably because no one at Delta wants to do that job and neither AirServ or ASIG do it in ATL.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart