Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcaord
Topic Author

Turbulence In The Cockpit

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi folks,

When encountering turbulence from light to severe, what's going on in the cockpit? Is it business as usual? Are the pilots holding on for dear life? Or, better yet, are they laughing hysterically at the likely panic going on in the cabin?

Curious to know if there are special procedures, etc.

Thanks-

TripleDelta
Screener

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:58 pm

Quoting dcaord (Thread starter):
Or, better yet, are they laughing hysterically at the likely panic going on in the cabin?

Why on Earth would any crew laugh at passenger discomfort? Just because they lack the information to fully understand the situation and its effects doesn't make them laughing stock.

Curious to know if there are special procedures

First and foremost, try to asses the nature, severity, intensity and duration of the turbulence; i.e. whether it is a localized disturbance from windshear or a cloud formation, an extended choppy area due to terrain or mountain waves, Clear Air Turbulence (CAT) or something else (ideally, when a area of turbulence can be predicted with reasonable accuracy - for example, if you're circumnavigating a CB, you can be fairly sure you'll hit a patch of rough air somewhere - all of this is done beforehand). Based on this information, the crew decides what action is necessary.

The above can range from none in the case of light turbulence of short duration - or a change of level, heading and/or speed if the disturbance is of higher severity and duration. Other actions also include informing the cabin crew and passengers, switching on the fasten seat belts signs, doing up your own harness and so on. It is also good practice to inform ATC when and where the situation allows, to let them know that you might need a change of clearance - and so they can pass the information on to other aircraft in the area.
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

shamrock321

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:58 pm

If they deem it bad enough they'll be working on getting out of it, slowing down etc , they will be strapped in anyway, not much else they can do!

TripleDelta
Screener

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Additionally, there are specific piloting techniques the crew can use to both keep the aircraft controllable and reduce stress on the airframe. These can include disconnecting the autopilot and flying manually - and then concentrating on keeping attitude at the expense of airspeed and altitude (using the "pitch and power" technique, whereby the crew maintains a defined pitch attitude and power setting which is known to give straight and level flight in calm conditions).
Hawkeye: "It doesn't make any sense."
Radar: "Well, none of it makes any sense. You just have to send in the right number of forms." - MASH 4077

n6238p

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:08 pm

Honestly, if its any kind of light chop over a prolonged period, we're going to make sure the seat belt sign is on and ask ATC for ride reports up ahead at different altitudes. If somewhere reasonable has a smoother ride, we're going to climb or descend to that altitude. Other than that no there is no panic, there's no laughing at passengers, pretty much business. Now with that being said, if lets say you stick your head in the cockpit during boarding and make some dumb joke or tell us you want a smooth flight, unless you're a sweet old grandma, you bet your ass I'm going to remember that and make a comment to who ever I'm flying with about how terrible of a flight this is.

PSA: If I fly you through a ton of weather, shoot an approach to minimums, and set the plane down firmly in a 30kt crosswind, and get you to the gate on time... any wiseass remark about the landing when getting off the plane is not, I repeat not, appreciated. Next time take the train if you think the ability of a pilot rest solely on whether or not we grease the landing.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

DualQual

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:12 pm

Quoting n6238p (Reply 4):
PSA: If I fly you through a ton of weather, shoot an approach to minimums, and set the plane down firmly in a 30kt crosswind, and get you to the gate on time... any wiseass remark about the landing when getting off the plane is not, I repeat not, appreciated. Next time take the train if you think the ability of a pilot rest solely on whether or not we grease the landing.

This! Keep in mind as a passenger, the days you're probably the most angry and frustrated with delays, weather, etc are the days we are working the hardest to try to get you where you want to go.
There's no known cure for stupid

migair54

RE: Turbulence In The Cockpit

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:33 pm

usually when we encounter turbulence, seat belts On signs, harness is usually a good idea also for pilots, and usually reduce speed for the turbulence to reduce stress and G´s, request turbulence reports, or start thinking about climb or descend to leave the turbulent area.
Once everything is over, ask the cabin crew for a cabin status report.

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 1):
Why on Earth would any crew laugh at passenger discomfort? Just because they lack the information to fully understand the situation and its effects doesn't make them laughing stock.

Not only pax discomfort, but also Crew, some of them might be doing duties and they can get hurt badly, not the first time that happens. it´s not time for joking. Just need to check a few pages and you´ll find plenty of pax and crew injured in turbulence, so it´s not a funny moment.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Have you met a pilot? Specifically a US pilot? I'm sure they would get a kick out of some freaked out flight attendants and passengers before continuing to a safe completion of their flight.

N757ST

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Jeeze man, a little sensitive. If I get a ball cruncher and someone comments I shoot it right back or chuckle, that's about it. Last guy "maaaan, that was rough ey boys".

"Nah man, it was me. I'm not very good at this".

N757ST

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 7):
Have you met a pilot? Specifically a US pilot? I'm sure they would get a kick out of some freaked out flight attendants and passengers before continuing to a safe completion of their flight.

I won't care enough to laugh if it's light turbulence. A little harsher I'll make an announcement and maybe if atc permits change altitude or slow down. What I will shake my head at is when I tell you all a crap ride is inbound, it's jaw grinding bad, and aunt Betty who needed the wheelchair to get on decides THAT is the best time to take care of her womanly needs.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:07 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 8):
Jeeze man, a little sensitive. If I get a ball cruncher and someone comments I shoot it right back or chuckle, that's about it. Last guy "maaaan, that was rough ey boys".

Pilots get really embarrassed if they don't have a good landing. They probably already heard it from the other pilot(s) in the flight deck all the way to the gate.

N757ST

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 10):
Pilots get really embarrassed if they don't have a good landing. They probably already heard it from the other pilot(s) in the flight deck all the way to the gate.

Not all of us. But if you comment be prepared for a sarcastic lashing.

n562wn

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm not sure of your premise here and why you might suggest that US pilots are any different from any other, but for me personally and just about all pilots I've flown with (international pilots included), turbulence isn't exactly enjoyable for us either.

At altitude when turbulence is associated with mountain wave, we have to be mindful of not over-speeding the aircraft or allowing it fall to too slow of an airspeed. At low altitude, when flying with building cumulus clouds around, when possible, most pilots ask ATC for permission to deviate allowing us to weave around and in between them (which is kind of fun) as they often are associated with turbulence. We are continually monitoring other pilot reports flying at all altitudes to have a general idea where the good and bad rides are giving us the foresight to put us in a preferable environment when able. When it's not avoidable or encountered unexpectedly, we pass what information we have along to the flight attendants and pax accordingly, and as others mentioned, we do what we can to change altitudes if possible and try to lessen the severity of stress on the aircraft (and pax) like slowing down if possible.

I don't know any pilot that "gets a kick" out of possibly injuring a flight attendant or passenger as we don't know always know who's walking around in the cabin.

I'll take a smooth ride all day every day as quite frankly, it's less work!  
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

chrisair

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Regardless of weather, this is why I always try to stick my head up front while deplaning and say thanks for the lift. I think some pilots are caught off guard by this and they look at me like I have five heads.

n6238p

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:49 pm

This is going to go slightly off topic but this is something from experience. 99% of the passengers are appreciative of the job the flight crew does given any circumstance. However there is that 1% that are going to comment on everything we do. These are the people that will bitch and moan about crews getting food or about ground stops due to a F5 sharknado hitting the airport. After the Germanwings deal, these were the people asking us at the gate if we're feeling ok and thanking us for not killing them. If we just worked our butts off and someone from the back wants to be slick, well guess what I'm judging you and I don't like it. My feelings aren't hurt, I know when I did a carrier landing and yea I'll hear it from the captain or FA later, thats how it works. Its the yutz in 22D that needs to just get off the plane and not say anything. I already have to deal with on a daily basis "are you old enough to fly this thing?" "fly fast I got a connection" and my personal favorite "shouldn't you be up front?" when I'm deadheading.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

n6238p

Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 13):
Regardless of weather, this is why I always try to stick my head up front while deplaning and say thanks for the lift. I think some pilots are caught off guard by this and they look at me like I have five heads.

And this we appreciate. Always say hello or goodbye to the FAs and if you get a chance to tell the people up front something nice or even just have a question about anything, go ahead and do it. I don't mind.

Just to get back on topic though, if there's any kind of weather up ahead we will always call the FA's and tell them to put everything away and sit down. An announcement may be made too. The worst turbulence it seems we encounter is going through cloud layers on an arrival. We may be able to avoid buildups with ATC allowed deviations but when you get so close to the airport, there's not much we can do. For the most part the worst we will ever experience is moderate turbulence. I've experienced severe maybe twice in my entire career and all we can do is ride the waves and wait for it to subside. The plane isn't going to break into a million pieces and we know that. Whats moderate to flight crews may feel severe to the traveling public. My ears perk up when I hear a severe PIREP made in our vicinity. We're going to avoid those areas as much as we can.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:20 pm

I believe the more appropriate question is have you met a US pilot? What on earth are you talking about?
Chicks dig winglets.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 16):
I believe the more appropriate question is have you met a US pilot? What on earth are you talking about?

Yes, I see dozens every day at work. And being mindful of peoples feelings, or not being sarcastic, is not their strong point.

Moose135

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:35 pm

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 17):
Yes, I see dozens every day at work. And being mindful of peoples feelings, or not being sarcastic, is not their strong point.

And here comes the sarcasm... so, by all means we intentionally scare passengers and FAs with turbulence.

Yikes dude.
Chicks dig winglets.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 19):
And here comes the sarcasm... so, by all means we intentionally scare passengers and FAs with turbulence.

Yikes dude.

No one is saying that. The questions was do they laugh at the passengers in the back while they are dealing/maneuvering out of it.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 20):
No one is saying that. The questions was do they laugh at the passengers in the back while they are dealing/maneuvering out of it.

Of course not. Sometimes you have to laugh it off when there's nothing you can do about it, though. Looks like you are mistaking that for insensitivity.

"well, they paid for a ride, so they are getting one" is a common phrase when we realize there's nothing that can be done.
Chicks dig winglets.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:00 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 21):
Of course not. Sometimes you have to laugh it off when there's nothing you can do about it, though. Looks like you are mistaking that for insensitivity.

"well, they paid for a ride, so they are getting one" is a common phrase when we realize there's nothing that can be done.

My comment was based on the initial question of the initial post. And then the usual, pilots are professional they would always take that super serious response.

seven3seven

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:20 pm

I love laughing at the passengers. It's why I became a pilot.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

N353SK

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:24 pm

If there's turbulence in the cockpit, I'm usually busy trying to clean coffee stains out of my shirt.

Seriously though, if we're up at altitude we'll be querying ATC to see how long the rough ride might last and whether there are better altitudes. If we can change altitudes to get a smooth ride we usually will, but sometimes if the turbulence is from FL240-FL400 we just don't have enough gas.

b747400erf

Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Most pilots are constantly asking atc for ride reports, as if a smooth flight is just as important as a smooth landing to keep passengers comfortable and aware of the good job the pilots are doing. Anyone laughing about it all is too immature to be a professional but somehow got in the door anyway.

tb727

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:05 pm

Or, better yet, are they laughing hysterically at the likely panic going on in the cabin?

Oh yeah, it's the funniest thing ever, especially if someone gets hurt, then we high-five each other, that's the best.   
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Armodeen

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 11):

Not all of us. But if you comment be prepared for a sarcastic lashing.

Out of interest do you appreciate it when people compliment you on your landings? Or do you suspect sarcasm? 

Moose135

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 26):
Oh yeah, it's the funniest thing ever, especially if someone gets hurt, then we high-five each other, that's the best.

You get a bonus for that, don't you?

KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

Whiteguy

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 10):

Quoting N757ST (Reply 8):

That's funny. Most don't really care about the comments. There's a time and place for smooth landings and both pilots up front know it. More often than not there may be a comment or joke about a rough landing between the pilots but that's it. Every pilot knows the next leg is theirs and the landing could be the same or worse.

hz747300

Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:44 pm

Just flew Asiana 222, ICN to JFK, and leaving ICN for the first couple of hours was really bad turbulence. The FAs started the meal service but had to sit. From watching Air Show, it seemed the smooth air was at FL27, but they wanted to climb to FL31, and two times after reaching FL31, Air Show showed us descending to FL27. Eventually the air smoothed out but it was at least three hours into the flight. This was on an A380.

It became bumpy again until we hit Anchorage, but was mostly smooth from there on to New York. I cannot believe it was pleasant for anyone, including the pilots. The initial turbulence was predominantly cloudy skies. In fact, the pilots left the seatbelt sign on from ANC to JFK but FAs were letting people get up and take care of business because it was generally fine at that point.
Keep on truckin'...

JAAlbert

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 pm

Quoting n6238p (Reply 14):
these were the people asking us at the gate if we're feeling ok and thanking us for not killing them.

I spit my coffee across my keyboard when I read this. Hilarious! Did passengers really thank the gate agents and flight crews for not killing them? You just gotta wonder sometimes at folk.

Here's my slightly off-the-topic question -- given that the cockpit is at the very front of the plane is the turbulence noticeably less where the pilots sit or do they still get bounced around like those in the back of the plane?

csavel

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 am

Not a pilot but as a passenger who has flown through some rough air in my life, I seriously doubt "any" pilot gets a kick out of freaked out F/As or passengers. As a matter of fact, I have seen both be incredibly solicitous to people with obvious fear of flying. That is not just US pilots but pilots of ANY airline I've ever flown.

One example. KLM March 2010 (I think) and one of the worst nor'easters I've seen hits NY area. Of course we were delayed by five hours - the winds were clocking in at 90 mph and even large jets parked seemed to sway in the wind. Finally round midnight, airport opened up and we were clear to go but wind was still howling and still lightning flashes. Gotta tell you a lot of people, including me were nervous. Were the pilots snickering up front? No!

The KLM pilot came out to the boarding area and assured us in relaxed tones that everything is OK, it will be bumpy up to 18,000 feet but we'd never go if it wasn't safe. He even did a Q and A with the pax and apologized for no food (Too windy for the catering truck to sidle up to the plane.)

I suspect that is how airline pilots roll, US or otherwise.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

airplanenut

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:22 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 31):
Here's my slightly off-the-topic question -- given that the cockpit is at the very front of the plane is the turbulence noticeably less where the pilots sit or do they still get bounced around like those in the back of the plane?

All forces will feel the weakest at the center of gravity of the airplane, which is in the middle of the wing. Consider pitch. When the airplane is nose-up or down, it's pivoting around the CG, so if you're sitting around the CG, you'll feel little displacement (you'll obviously feel the angle of the plane change with respect to gravity). On the other hand, if you're at the back or the front, you're going to move vertically. Turning is the same, though everyone will feel the G-forces of the turn. Because planes aren't that wide, passengers at the window won't feel that much more displacement than those in the center, but on an aside, it's an argument against blended wing airplanes, where someone could sit far out in the wing and feel a significant drop or climb with a strong bank. In short, the pilots should be getting bounced around about as much as you can, since relative to the CG, they have the most room to move.
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

n6238p

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:35 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 31):

The ride in the far back of the plane definitely sucks more at the very front. That's just my personal feelings. One thing we got up front that the passengers don't have is a five point harness strapping us in pretty good. I'll pull by belts tight when it gets bumpy and it's just like going down the road. One thing we also have going for us is looking forward and seeing clouds we're about to punch through. We have the opportunity to physically and mentally prepare for them so rarely are we taken by surprise. The only turbulence I don't like is wake turbulence. It's a different beast and I've flown with a few guys that their first instinct is a death grip on the yoke. Wake turbulence is no joke and when we get in it, we know immediately. I've never been rolled over but other planes at my company have gone on some wild rides and that are no fun to say the least..

PGNCS

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 am

When encountering turbulence from light to severe, what's going on in the cockpit? Is it business as usual? Are the pilots holding on for dear life? Or, better yet, are they laughing hysterically at the likely panic going on in the cabin?

Curious to know if there are special procedures, etc.

Well, business as usual is providing a safe flight first and foremost, so we will turn on the seat belt sign and make a PA asking passengers (and FA's if necessary) to be seated. We do NOT want people injured by turbulence. The second piece of business then becomes seeing if there are better viable opportunities at other altitudes. That is our business as usual; it's the same stuff we do day after day. We are not holding on for dear life, but we don't enjoy it either. We don't want people in the cabin to be scared; we want them to have the best possible flight so they come back and fly with us again and continue to help us pay our mortgages. Most of us go out of our way to reassure nervous passengers either in person pre- or post-flight, or via periodic announcements with a reassuring demeanor.

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 25):
Anyone laughing about it all is too immature to be a professional but somehow got in the door anyway.

Spot on. Thank you.   

N766UA

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:06 am

Quoting seven3seven (Reply 23):

Seriously though, our main concern besides safety is passenger comfort! Generally speaking, though, turbulance is just a part of flying. It may be fun/scary/interesting to casual flyers, but pilots have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours in it. Apart from that already mentioned, nothing really changes, except it gets annoying when you're trying to reach certain buttons...

[Edited 2015-06-29 18:11:49]

N766UA

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:09 am

What crew have you flown with that laughs at flight attendants being "freaked out" and non-stop rips on the PF for a less-than-perfect landing? Have you ever flown in a crew?

DualQual

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:12 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 17):

That's a pretty broad brush. But hey, at least it's ignorant.  
There's no known cure for stupid

n6238p

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 am

A crew that's getting along will joke and mess around with each other throughout the duration of the trip. Unfortunately not every crew is a match made in heaven and we have to be mindful of not getting a coworker upset. I'm playing Russian Roulette with a captain if I make any comments about his performance. Some guys will laugh it off, others will make me wish I kept my mouth shut. Nothing beats day 1 of a 4 day where I realize the guy that makes 4x as much cries as much the baby sitting in coach. What I do know is I never know what the passengers are like, we got a door that separates us. I can't spit a witty comeback at a wise ass passengers because I never know who is in earshot of whatever it is I would like to say. Sensitive passengers are the type of people that try getting flight attendants in trouble for taking pictures inside engine cowlings.

TheRedBaron

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:38 am

Once I read on Airways magazine that after a particular bumpy ride on TWA Mad dog the Pilots landed very firmly due to crosswinds and the Ac bounced a bit, and everyone screamed because they were already scared, so the FA said welcome to XXXX thanks for flying with us this afternoon, we remind you to stay seated until Captain Kangaroo stops carving his initials on the tarmac... everyone laughed in the cabin, and the FO announced, "ok nice job Captain".... it broke the tension on the cabin...

Great story.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

bristolflyer

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:53 am

I have often wondered what tests pilots go through in training to establish their tolerance for motion/turbulence. Any ideas?
Fortune favours the brave

n6238p

Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:15 am

For crews there is more chance of motion sickness on the hotel shuttle ride than in a plane.

flyaas80

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 am

Quoting n6238p (Reply 14):
or about ground stops due to a F5 sharknado hitting the airport

Alright, my vote for one of the best posts this year... Double points for using shaknado and ground stop in one sentence.
The only way to fly is by the seat of your pants...

allrite

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:50 am

Quoting TripleDelta (Reply 3):
These can include disconnecting the autopilot and flying manually - and then concentrating on keeping attitude at the expense of airspeed and altitude (using the "pitch and power" technique, whereby the crew maintains a defined pitch attitude and power setting which is known to give straight and level flight in calm conditions).

I've read that the 787 has sophisticated turbulence mitigation, including accelerometers on the nose that rapidly analyse the turbulent motion and move control surfaces to counteract it, including the vertical motion I so hate. The flexible wing also absorbs some of the momentum changes.

Having been in windy conditions on a 787 I believe that it does probably perform better than many other aircraft. However, on a recent flight on the 787 we were at 40,000 feet near the ITCZ and experiencing a fair number of bumps (fairly clear skies, but some cloud below). At one point there were a few larger vertical displacements and the pilots switched on the seatbelt lights. Almost immediately the flight became smooth and the niggling bumps didn't return until the lights were off.

I'm wondering if at that point the pilots had taken manual control and if the automatic turbulence mitigation systems were disabled at that point. Or if it was just the pilots slowing the aircraft down that did the trick.
I like artificial banana essence!

Max Q

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:02 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 26):

Exactly, believe me we don't enjoy turbulence either, most of us are happy to have a very boring and smooth flight.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

benjjk

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:16 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Reply 41):

I have often wondered what tests pilots go through in training to establish their tolerance for motion/turbulence. Any ideas?

1500 hours flying bug-smashers should see airline pilots with iron-clad stomachs.

n562wn

Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:34 am

Quoting allrite (Reply 44):
At one point there were a few larger vertical displacements and the pilots switched on the seatbelt lights. Almost immediately the flight became smooth and the niggling bumps didn't return until the lights were off.

I swear, sometimes I refer to the Fasten Seat Belt sign as the turbulence switch. Some days the second I turn it off with expectations of a smooth ride from pilot reports and what I'm seeing in front of me and it starts getting bumpy. The second I turn the Seat Belt sign back on, it smooths out.. Rinse and repeat..  
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

blueflyer

Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:08 am

Only time I've heard a captain comment on his colleague's skills was on the last flight of an F/O before heading into retirement. Coming in in wet, windy conditions, the landing wasn't exactly smooth. The captain got on the P/A and announced given the weather that it was a textbook landing he would have been proud to call his own. With the F/O's family sitting in the front cabin, I thought it was a class act.

Quoting n562wn (Reply 47):
The second I turn the Seat Belt sign back on, it smooths out.. Rinse and repeat.

Seems like I'm sitting behind you quite often!

[Edited 2015-06-30 00:30:15]

trent1000

Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:56 am

if you're circumnavigating a CB, you can be fairly sure you'll hit a patch of rough air somewhere

What is a CB?