Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lpdal
Topic Author

Questions For Report Number 28: B757-200s Of Delta

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:34 pm

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/264/19864709676_6b0b316c93_c.jpg
Photo taken and edited by me. The captain requested to be in the report! 

Now it's time for report number 28 which is FLL-DTW-SLC-PDX, and, as the title suggests, was entirely on Deltaq 757s. All info and answers are appreciated, as always.  

1) What was the last majorly - produced, widely used airliner that Boeing produced WITH a flight engineer station? In the inverse, what was the first majorly -produced, widely used airliner that Boeing produced WITHOUT a flight engineer station?

2) Why do modern airliners feature 4 - 8 pitot tubes on the nose (depending on the size of the plane)? Are they for backup in case one fails or is clogged?

3) What does "Yaw Damper" on the autopilot panel do?

4) This was on the inside of the N1 PW2000 engine on DTW-SLC:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7799/18163896820_151ba1eacf_c.jpg
Is this a metal "patch" to cover up some damage that the engine previously suffered?

5) Again on the inside of the engine:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8783/18351640605_dae1eeb0f9_c.jpg
a) The non-spinning gray blades behind the fan do what?
b) what causes the fan cone to become dull and white? Just repeated wear and tear?

6) Now we're at SLC and what is happening on the lower right of this picture? Has the catering deck fallen through the cab of the truck? Is that even possible?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8765/18162110248_b7a589d4b6_c.jpg

As always, I'll post more questions as I write and code the report.

Thanks for all the help and information!

-LPDAL

LH707330

RE: Questions For Report Number 28: B757-200s Of Delta

Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:56 pm

1. The 767 had an FE station for some carriers where unions wanted it and in case they couldn't get 2-pilot ops certified. The 737 was their first 2-pilot plane.

2. Yes, redundancy. You want at least three, so if one disagrees and the other two agree, the oddball gets voted off the island. You need at least three to do this.

3. The YD helps prevent dutch roll, which is a pitch-yaw couple https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll

4. Looks like a welded patch

5a. That's a stator stage, or the "fan de-swirlers" as they are often known. When the fan goes through the airflow, it imparts a rearward and spiral force on the air. The spiralness means the air is not flowing straight back (thus losing thrust), so the de-swirlers straighten it out.
5b. Yep. Random stuff hits it and wears out the paint.

6. Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think it came that way from the factory....

KPWMSpotter

Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Thread starter):
1) What was the last majorly - produced, widely used airliner that Boeing produced WITH a flight engineer station? In the inverse, what was the first majorly -produced, widely used airliner that Boeing produced WITHOUT a flight engineer station?

The Boeing 767 was the last model introduced with a flight engineer station (only a handful of frames were built with flight engineer stations installed though, all for Ansett Australia). The Boeing 727 remained in production through the 1980s though, so I would imagine that the 727 was the last to roll off the line with a flight engineer station installed.

The 737 was the first Boeing jet to fly without a flight engineer.

2) Why do modern airliners feature 4 - 8 pitot tubes on the nose (depending on the size of the plane)? Are they for backup in case one fails or is clogged?

Redundancy. Most aircraft, however, only have three or four pitot probes. The rest of the probes you see on the nose are either AOA vanes or temperature sensors.

On most modern aircraft, each airspeed system is fed by an independent pitot source; one pitot feeds the captain's airspeed, one for the F/O, one for the standby system, etc. This system architecture makes it easier to isolate a faulty system if something does go wrong.

3) What does "Yaw Damper" on the autopilot panel do?

It damps yaw. It's a passive automation system which allows the pilots to sit with their feet on the floor...

4) This was on the inside of the N1 PW2000 engine on DTW-SLC:

Looks like a repair doubler to me. A doubler isn't just "covering up" damage, it's a repair part that restores the strength of the damaged structure.

They're called stator vanes. They're small airfoils which act on the airflow to ensure that it flows smoothly through the engine. Not my area of expertise though, I'm sure someone will provide a more in-depth answer.

b) what causes the fan cone to become dull and white? Just repeated wear and tear?

Yes, probably.

6) Now we're at SLC and what is happening on the lower right of this picture? Has the catering deck fallen through the cab of the truck? Is that even possible?

Can't say for sure what's happening, but the catering truck looks normal to me. A lot of catering trucks have half cabs, where the driver sits in a small cab on the left, and the lift ramp goes up and down on the right.

diverted

Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:28 pm

answer to # 1 and 2 is the 767 I think. IIRC Ansett ordered their initial 767s with an FE position. Of course, the majority of 767's produced are a 2 person flight deck.

badgervor

Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Do (or Did) Any Airlines Fly 3-crew 767s? (by IslandHopper Jun 16 2003 in Civil Aviation)

There is a picture in this old thread of the 767 engineers panel.

LH707330

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Quoting KPWMSpotter (Reply 2):

You and I must have been typing in parallel  
Quoting KPWMSpotter (Reply 2):
The Boeing 767 was the last model introduced with a flight engineer station (only a handful of frames were built with flight engineer stations installed though, all for Ansett Australia). The Boeing 727 remained in production through the 1980s though, so I would imagine that the 727 was the last to roll off the line with a flight engineer station installed.

If you're going by last rollout, it would have been either a late-delivery 747 classic (a -200F IIRC) or a military 707 (ironic) sometime in 1991.
Last 747-200/300 Made (by Rohan737 Apr 21 2002 in Civil Aviation)

KLASM83

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:17 am

Nothing too fancy, just something that can reach the doors of aircraft that are closer to the ground.

Here's a better picture:

DocLightning

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 pm

1) Behind the fan are stator vanes. The fan swirls the air as it drives it backwards. The stators then straighten the airflow so that it proceeds straight out the back of the fan/bypass duct.

2) The center cone takes a lot of abuse.

Cadet985

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:25 am

Quoting diverted (Reply 3):
Of course, the majority of 767's produced are a 2 person flight deck.

For anyone who plays Flight Simulator, the Captain Sim 767 actually depicts the flight engineer position, but it does nothing, and it's just there.

If interested, I can post a screenshot.

Marc

lpdal
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:27 pm

My questions are now about Delta's Interport operation, past and present.

1) UA and DL have intra-Asian networks as of this writing, does AA have an equivalent on their own metal?

2) Are only Boeing aircraft used on the DL Intra-Asian routes? 744s and Interport 752s?

3) I ask these questions because my first 752 was a PMNW Inter-Asia 757 as evinced by the internal config and confirmed by seeing pictures of this aircraft at NRT and other Asian fields. My question is, how did this aircraft make it all the way to flying DTW-FLL from Japan? Wouldn't it have to had to fly a journey like NRT-HNL-LAX-Insert Delta Hub here? Doesn't Delta have around 170 757s in the fleet, why would they need to put an Interport 757 on USA domestic routes?

4) What are the roots of the PMNW and PMUA Inter-Asia operations, why do they exist?

Now back to the USA...

5) Are there any dot - less windows in DTW that are accessible by the general public? I saw the jetway driver windows didn't have dots, though those would be hard to utilize.

6) Is SLC an exciting approach for pilots? It seems to be located in a mountain valley with a large break where Salt Lake is, very beautiful...

7) Noticed the 757-300 has an option for a retractable tail skid on the lower rear fuselage due to its integral length, what does this do? If the pilot cause a tailstrike scenario, does the tail skid break off so the tail itself is not damged? In the same vein, for smaller props (say Caravan or Kodiak) was is the purpose of the tailstand used when the airplane is parked?

Your information is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

-LPDAL

TW870

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:47 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 9):
1) UA and DL have intra-Asian networks as of this writing, does AA have an equivalent on their own metal?

No. NW and PA (along with TW between 1969 and 1974 although not at TYO) were the legacy U.S. operators in Asia. The Inter-Asia flying comes from that period. See below.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 9):
4) What are the roots of the PMNW and PMUA Inter-Asia operations, why do they exist?

There are two main reasons. The first is geography. Places like HKG, SHA/PVG, and MNL are very far from the continental U.S. and were not reachable non-stop with earlier aircraft like the 707-300B or 747 classic. Even today, SIN and BKK non-stops are very hard to make profitable with even the latest technology. NRT proved a logical stopping point because it had a huge local market and was closer to the U.S. because it is so far north and east.

Secondly, it is about history. After WWII, the U.S. economy was much stronger than Asian economies that had been devastated by war. Pan Am and Northwest, who both had traffic rights out of TYO by 1946, served both U.S. and local customers. Since they had 5th freedom traffic rights, they cultivated a huge business within Asia, connecting Japan to South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, etc. But over the years, as Asian carriers like CX and SQ got much stronger, it was harder for the U.S. incumbents to compete. Therefore, UA and NW (later DL) have gradually retooled their operations to focus on code share opportunities for connections at NRT and ICN, and on serving business travelers with non-stops between the U.S. and a broad array of Asian cities.

Hope this helps!

lpdal
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting TW870 (Reply 10):

Hope this helps!

It most certainly does, many thanks. 

Two more, about how high is the cabin floor off the ground in your normal 757? Meaning when you're sitting in one of the cabin seats (not in the cockpit, as you have to step down to get in there) how high are you off the ground?

-LPDAL

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:19 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 9):

Nope! Only UA and DL have 5th freedom rights out of Japan.

Quote:
2) Are only Boeing aircraft used on the DL Intra-Asian routes? 744s and Interport 752s?

763, 777, and 330 are also used on those.

Quote:
3) I ask these questions because my first 752 was a PMNW Inter-Asia 757 as evinced by the internal config and confirmed by seeing pictures of this aircraft at NRT and other Asian fields. My question is, how did this aircraft make it all the way to flying DTW-FLL from Japan? Wouldn't it have to had to fly a journey like NRT-HNL-LAX-Insert Delta Hub here? Doesn't Delta have around 170 757s in the fleet, why would they need to put an Interport 757 on USA domestic routes?

They would have ferried it back via Alaska, likely. As aircraft come and go for mx or other needs, they are cycled through the system as needed.

Quote:

TW answered this very well!

Now back to the USA...

Quote:
5) Are there any dot - less windows in DTW that are accessible by the general public? I saw the jetway driver windows didn't have dots, though those would be hard to utilize.

I haven't found any... good for sun reduction but annoying for trying to take pictures!

Quote:
6) Is SLC an exciting approach for pilots? It seems to be located in a mountain valley with a large break where Salt Lake is, very beautiful...

It is very beautiful, but not particularly challenging. We do have some special engine out procedures, but they are very benign compared to other places near mountains (it's a loooong straight valley.)

Quote:
7) Noticed the 757-300 has an option for a retractable tail skid on the lower rear fuselage due to its integral length, what does this do? If the pilot cause a tailstrike scenario, does the tail skid break off so the tail itself is not damged? In the same vein, for smaller props (say Caravan or Kodiak) was is the purpose of the tailstand used when the airplane is parked?

If you tap the tail skid on takeoff, it will annunciate in the cockpit. A tailstrike on landing occurs farther forward.

The tail stand is so the plane doesn't tip on its tail while being loaded.

Woodreau

Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 9):

The tail stand for the smaller props is to keep the aircraft from tipping back and falling back on its tail if when passengers are still at the back of the plane when the front passengers get off.

Or in planes with the cargo comparment in the back, to keep the plane from standing on it's tail when passengers get off before the cargo is unloaded.

flyDTW1992

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:28 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 9):

Nope, unfortunately. As far as I'm aware, the only dot-less windows in the McNamara Terminal belong to the ATC tower and the ramp tower...And some office windows on the lower level.

lpdal
Topic Author

Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Does TUG hold a monopoly on airport ground support vehicles?

-LPDAL

DL_Mech

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 15):
Does TUG hold a monopoly on airport ground support vehicles?

I know UAL has some Toyota tugs.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w303/RedStapler73/Feb%202012/UnitedToyotaTugRNOGroundEquipment1.jpg