Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vfw614
Topic Author

CRJ900: Port And Starboard Windows

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:37 pm

I am travelling quite often on Lufthansa group CRJ900s and have often wondered why the last window on the fuselage in front of the engines is further to the front on the starboard side? It means that the last starboard row of seats has no window, whereas the last port side row has a window.

See here:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Klaus Ecker
View Large View Medium

Photo © Hans Schulze

Any ideas?

Yflyer

RE: CRJ900: Port And Starboard Windows

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:43 pm

That's where the lavatory is.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about that. I've never been on the CR9 before and was basing that on the other CRJ models I've been on, which have two seats on the port side next to the lavatory. SeatGuru shows a galley in that spot on the CR9, though. Maybe there's a window in the galley, but none on the lavatory side?

[Edited 2015-08-07 12:47:30]

Cubsrule

Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:46 pm

I assume it relates to the rear galley option. IIRC no one took it, but the early build birds have a clearly visible outline of a door plug there, and a few very early builds were built with a door.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Arlanda Aviation Photographer

I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

KGRB

Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:17 am

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 1):
That's where the lavatory is.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about that. I've never been on the CR9 before and was basing that on the other CRJ models I've been on, which have two seats on the port side next to the lavatory. SeatGuru shows a galley in that spot on the CR9, though. Maybe there's a window in the galley, but none on the lavatory side?

I've never flown the CRJ-900 with LH, however I have flown on the type with Endeavor, ExpressJet, PSA, and SkyWest. In my experience, the lavatory is always located aft of the last row of seats. Compare these seat maps of a CRJ-900 (above) vs. a CRJ-200 (below)

http://www.skywest.com/assets/Uploads/FleetImages/fleetcrj900.jpg

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/e57a38_8f524bb314193350dd2f6c1ce2af845b.jpg_srb_p_924_320_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

alasizon

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:39 am

So on a 76-seat version, the last row (20DF) has no window because this version is accomplished by taking a 79-seat version, pushing the aft bulkhead back and shifting the whole seat map backwards. Where 20DF are is normally where the lavatory is on a 79 seated but on a 76 seat version, the seats are there instead.

The 76 seat planes have slightly increased pitch and more room in the G1 galley. Trade off however is the 20DF window as well as reduced cargo capacity.

76 seat version (assuming 9F/67Y; 12F/64Y is slightly different) Most 76 seat versions are Next Gen 900s which can be distinguished based on the wing amongst other things
-No 4C seat
-No row 21
-Lav door is directly at the end of the aisle and opens wide
-Cargo bin reduced room

79 seat version
-4C exists
-21AC seats are across the aisle from the typical bi-fold lav door
-The FA jumpseat is always at the end of the aisle in place and does not stow away
-R1 cargo bin has an H shaped aft bulkhead.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

CRJ900

Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:04 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 2):
I assume it relates to the rear galley option. IIRC no one took it, but the early build birds have a clearly visible outline of a door plug there, and a few very early builds were built with a door.

Correct. It took BBD quite a few years to return the RH side window line to normal (I think the Estonian Airlines CR9s were some of the first to have the normal 7 windows aft of the o/w exits (the lav is where the 8th window would be)).
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

KELPkid

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:49 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 5):
Correct. It took BBD quite a few years to return the RH side window line to normal (I think the Estonian Airlines CR9s were some of the first to have the normal 7 windows aft of the o/w exits (the lav is where the 8th window would be)).

I think there are two lav options: the closet style on the RH side of the fuselage (as shown in the LH seating diagrams above), and a full fuselage width one (as YV in the USA uses).

Interestingly, on my last CRJ900 flight (on YV), I requested a window seat, and was seated in seat F on the last row, which gave me a view of the wall (no window). It turns out the aircraft, N246LR, is an aircraft that was built for Estonian, but not taken up by them. Every other YV CRJ I've been on has a window on the last row on both sides.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

vfw614
Topic Author

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Interesting stuff. I am wondering, though, why Bombardier is unable to offer a window there if the galley option is not taken up. I have repeatedly witnessed passengers with an allocated "window" seat not being amused ending up in a rather claustrophic place.

KELPkid

Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:39 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 7):
Interesting stuff. I am wondering, though, why Bombardier is unable to offer a window there if the galley option is not taken up. I have repeatedly witnessed passengers with an allocated "window" seat not being amused ending up in a rather claustrophic place.

I believe most of Mesa's CRJ-900 fleet has a window on the last row on the right hand side of the fuselage. N246LR is an oddball, because it was built for Estonian. No idea why Bombardier didn't just add the window before delivery...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

alasizon

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:45 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 8):

Mesa has quite a few of these actually. I believe 246, 247, 248 and 943-948 are this way.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

ssteve

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:48 am

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 7):
I have repeatedly witnessed passengers with an allocated "window" seat not being amused ending up in a rather claustrophic place.

Happens on 757s at the front of the wing, for certain seating configurations. Sucks.

CRJ900

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:55 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 8):
No idea why Bombardier didn't just add the window before delivery...

I think it was a bigger logistical operation than we think. When BBD offered the CRJ NextGen they apparently looked at all aspects to see what they could improve, and in an article about it, BBD confirmed that they had removed the aft galley door as an option on the CR9 and would have a full window line instead. Up until then, the fuselage fixtures for fitting an aft door or a plug was a standardised item.

The aft service door makes the aircraft look bigger and would look even better on the CRJ1000, but apparently having a big aft galley would be very heavy and you lose at least four seats.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

vfw614
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 10):
Happens on 757s at the front of the wing, for certain seating configurations. Sucks.

Sure, but the issue with the CR9 is that you have wall behind you, a wall to your right and another passenger sitting to your left. So it gets very cosy or claustrophobic, depending on the view.